1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

guitar recommendations

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by imperialreign, Jan 4, 2009.

1. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well . . . I've finally got the extra lootage around, and have been giving serious enough thought to picking up another guitar, and a good amp, and getting back into playing . . .

and seeing as how many users here play guitar . . .

. . . can anyone give any recomendations on a good 7-string electric guitar? I've grown to love the sound, and the flexibility, these guitars can provide - never owned one myself, but what I've heard in tracks they've been used in is enough to sell me.

I've been out of the loop for so many years, though, I'm not sure where to begin anymore - I'd prefer a good metal-style guitar . . . two humbuckers, whammy bar, tone knobs . . . you know the drill . . .

I'm guessing neither ESP nor Ibanez make such guitars anymore, huh?

2. From_Nowhere New Member

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
    imperialreign says thanks.
  3. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I've heard both the Ibanez and Schecter 7 strings in person. The Schecter sounds better.

4. Morgoth

Morgoth

Thanks Received:
    i prefer jackson guitars the are bit pricy but the quality is realy good :)

5. Nemesis881 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Go with the Schecter man. They even sell a $450~ 7-string that my friend has. Schecter's have the best price to quality ratio I'd say.
    I'll stick to my Gibson Les paul studio though :rockout:.

6. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    Years ago I had a Jackson-V and an Ibanez Gibraltar . . . both were nice as hell, the Jackson was a full-custom, though (I still beat myself up for having sold it . . . but when ya gotta pay some bills :().

Hmmm . . . those do look nice - not really looking for a warlock or V body style, though.

I'd still prefer to hear how they sound in person, too - luckily a couple of local guitar shops will order in anything you want, if they don't have it in stock.

The only one I've seen in person so far was this one: http://www.alpha-music.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=678&idcategory=906

7. russianboy New Member

Thanks Received:
    What is your budget, and what amp are you currently using?

8. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:

I haven't set a budget, and currently have no amp (sold my electric guitars and equipment years ago).

As far as price tag goes, I'm willing to consider up-to, and possibly above $1k for the guitar itself - amp probably about half-that.

I'd like to be able to select a guitar first - one that I'm happy with how it sounds "clean" - not plugged in to anything (I can hear the general "tone" of the instrument this way . . . and people think I'm crazy :p). Once that's selected, I intend to pick out an amp based not only on what the amp is capable of, but how the amp sounds with the guitar hooked up to it.

9. russianboy New Member

Thanks Received:
    You should allocate more of your budget for the amp rather than the guitar.

A bad guitar can sound decent through a good amp, the best guitar in the world will sound horrid through a shit amp.

As far as the tremolo is concerned, the current obsession is the Floyd Rose. While everyone is quick to jump on the bandwagon of cool sounds and divebombs, they are not all that practical. Most Floyd Roses are made with cheap metals that bend and break after a while. Not only that, they are unstable. If one string goes out of tune or breaks, ALL of them go out of tune, and then there is the whole issue with undoing the locking nut, stringing a Floyd Rose, counterbalancing the string tension with just the right amount of spring tension gah. I personally love to tinker with my guitar, but you should be playing it more than working on it.

Not saying don't get a Floyd Rose, just putting it out there. Seven string guitars with trems are hard to find, and they are rarely built as well as the six string equivalents.

If you are going seven string, stick with the hard tail.

Original Floyd Roses (considered the best) are found on more expensive guitars. As you already know, the hobby of playing the guitar can burn lots of cash.

10. russianboy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Continuing on...

Ibanez used to make great guitars, but today's production guitars from Ibanez are not nearly as good. I've played some of their prestige models, and simply put: they are lacking their prestige. Playability per dollar is not nearly as good as it used to be. The wizard necks on the RG series are awful IMO. Thin, flat things, but that's more on a personal level.

I'd personally recommend a Schecter C-7 Hellraiser. Good pickups on a 7 string too, a JB and '59 jazz. Good tone, and will clean up just fine.

[​IMG]

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-C-7-Hellraiser-Electric-Guitar?sku=518452

Consider going used, check your local craigslist.

11. russianboy New Member

Thanks Received:
    As far as amp goes, I'm going to need more information on the music you are playing, whether you will be gigging etc.

12. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    For amps on a low toned guitar like a 7 string or a baritone, I would actually suggest looking at a Fender Bassman bass amp. They're great for low tunings, and many models come with a tweeter to bring your highs out as well.

Aside from that, I'm partial to Fender tube amps for guitar as well.

And I agree with russianboy, allocate more money to your amp. A good amp will make almost any guitar sing, a shitty amp will make the best guitar sound like shit.

13. russianboy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Are you referring to those tweed bassmans, or the modern ones?

14. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Either or, actually. You just have to be selective of the model, and test them first. Some of the lesser models do not carry enough highs. When I tuned down to open or drop C, I used to play thru my friends Bassman, and it was a more modern one, not a tweed.

15. russianboy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would like to hear this, actually.

Simply stated because I simply can't envision a bassman doing drop tuned metal. I've heard of stoner metal bands using solid state bass heads coupled with fuzz pedals for a very bass heavy tone. When I think of tweed bassman I think of rockabilly.

16. Nemesis881 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Or you could buy you a cheap tube head (like a peavey valveking) and pair it with this cabinet. Like this one! http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RS125CX-2X12-1X15-Speaker-Cabinet?sku=601011

This will be my next cabinet for drop tunings :rockout:

17. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    It's something I recommend trying, but drop D will do it no justice. You'll want to go down to at least C to get the full benefit.

Also keep in mind that only certain models sound good like this. Unfortunately, I no longer remember what models those are.

18. russianboy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would advise against this.

Cheaping out on your amp is not the way to go, tube doesn't automatically mean better, and if one is going to invest in such an amp, do it right.

For metal fifteen inch speakers are NOT the way to go. You will gain more low end, but it will sound flabby and unresponsive. Metal/high gain applications require a solid, tight bass.

Fifteen inch speakers are for bluesy/clean use on bright single coils.

As for the valveking, I own one, and it's a decent amp WITH some mods, by itself it sounds muddy and dull.

OP hasn't answered my inquiries yet.

1. What genres/sounds are you going for
    2. Are you gigging
    3. Are you using this for home practice/jamming or what?

19. Nemesis881 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree cheaping out on an amp isn't the best thing to do. BUT, the valve king with better-than-stock tubes is probably the best price to quality tube amp you can buy. Better than wasting $2,000 on an Marshall IMO.

LOL? You obviously haven't played through Eminence Legend speakers...
    They churn out some of the tightest, most powerful low end I have ever heard. Krank cabinets use them, and they sound amazing with low tunings. Now there are some other factors like type of wood, etc. But I feel pretty confident with Randall amps. :rockout:

as for the inquiries..
    1. He wants a "metal-style guitar" so thats a clue :rolleyes: :D
    2. True, he might not need a stack if he's not gigging. (i dont gig but I still love my stack :p)
    3. kinda ties in with 2.

20. B1gg3stN00b

B1gg3stN00b New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ebay an old Ibanez 7, made in Japan. Japanese Ibanezes are top quality and I've restored dozens for people.

Also, noone needs a stack if you've got a good power section and efficient speakers.

A 50 watt Peavey Valve King running through a Vintage 30 would blast the 120 watt Marshall MG out of the water.

GO TUBE. If you don't buy a tube amp you're wasting your time if you want a rich, professional sound.

The Valve King is one of the cheapest, yet best sounding ones out there.

If you have more money though, look into Ashdown and Genz Benz, they're boutique style for not much money.

Also, as a serious player for 7 years, I warn you. DO NOT BUY A 15" CAB!

I've used Bassman cabs and Randall cabs and all sorts. Nothing beats Celestion Vintage 30s or Greenbacks for good lead and rhythm tone!

Also, Eminence guitar speakers are great, as are their bass, but for metal, you want their guitar speakers.

Bass amp/speakers sound great for guitar but only in clean/light gain situations.

If you don't wanna go used, find the new cheapest RG 7 string (7321 or 7421 I think) and load them with Dimarzio Evos.

21. From_Nowhere New Member

Thanks Received:
  22. B1gg3stN00b

B1gg3stN00b New Member

Thanks Received:
    The Windsor doesn't do high gain or metal as he wants (he's buying a 7), but if he couples it with a good pedal (NOT BOSS OR DIGITECH) it would be great.

Look into the Radial Tonebone Hot British and Classic pedals, then the ones that are a step up from that. Boutique analog tube circuitry for the win!

Also it doesn't have reverb, I recommend the Electro Harmonix Holiest Grail

23. russianboy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm sorry, but I gotta put this in

9/10 times, you don't need a half stack. A half stack is just unnecessary. Transporting them too and from band practice WILL fuck up your back. While we're at that, even a 2x12 combo is too heavy. If you are going to get an amp, I recommend a head and quarter stack (separate 2x12 cabinet) your back will thank me.

I ask what genre he is playing because there are many different types of metal, and it will determine what equipment to get. For example, a Valveking and a Bad Monkey will be good for an old metallica sound, where as Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier will give him a Slipknot sound.

I second the Holiest Grail, and avoid Boss for distortion, but their modulation effects are alright.

It's not wise to generalize equipment into "good" and "bad". If they were not used by a certain crowd, the company would not exist today. Each has their own application. The digitech whammy for example is a pretty darn cool effect, one that has not been replicated with any significant success.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  24. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    I've got a Marshall Valvestate that I've been loaning a friend for a while. Hit me up if you'd like a recording, and I'll get on it. I have no interest since I moved on to a B-52 halfstack. B-52 is an "off brand" Marshall but they're made in the same factory.

As for the guitars. I own an early model ESP, and I can say with confidence that they're still making good guitars if not better since then. Their electrical work is top notch, and I've had .010 gauge on their floyd rose tremolo for 4 years with some extra springs and the intonation is still solid. The only thing I didn't like about my ESP was the frets. They wore down quickly by my standards, but I had them replaced and I know how to dress them so it didn't bother me much.

Older Japanese Ibanez are also amazing guitars. They've got such killer tones, and solid construction. Nothing bad I can say about them.

Other guitars mentioned here are also really good picks. I hope you find the one you're looking for!

25. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    well - for right now I'm looking on just getting back into the swing of things - I haven't touched a guitar in 10 effin years . . . sadly.

But, more than likely I'll end up getting re-acquainted with my old style:

intricate playing, with heavy, deep riffs . . . I self-taught myself by emulating the guitar styling of bands such as Emperor, Cradle of Filth, Dissection, Samael . . . the closest likeness I could give to how I used to play is to wrap those bands up => the speed of Emperor, the melody of Cradle, the intricacy of Dissection and the heaviness of Samael

some (poor) examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aHct5-5T0Y&feature=PlayList&p=E4E7576937CAEA1A&playnext=1&index=9 - Dissection "Where Dead Angels Lie"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d076rfb_R5U&feature=related - Samael "Year Zero"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ItETLB23Pw - Emperor "The Loss and Curse of Reverence"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwJ5sl_N96Q&feature=related - Cradle of Filth "Tearing The Veil From Grace"

I'll put it thus - I played heavy and fast, and had a horrible knack for shredding strings (yep, my picking style would cause strings to break and unravel leaving only the core).

If I could, I'd have another custom built like my old one, as it could stand the abuse and play style . . . but I want to get back into the ring before I do that, y'know?

I don't intend to go play any gigs or open-mic nights or any of that junk . . . not just yet, anyways.