1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

guitar recommendations

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by imperialreign, Jan 4, 2009.

1. russianboy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Peavey 5150+ head, go used.

Just try this stuff out in person though, please.

imperialreign says thanks.
  2. russianboy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Bugera's are good too, but I hear they are somewhat unreliable.

check out a Bugera 6262

3. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:

Looked up that model and it looks very similar to a Peavey a buddy of mine had down the street . . . if it's anywhere near as powerful, that'd be more than enough (actually more like overkill :p).

Anyhow, I don't plan on purchasing used online - if it's in-store that's a possiblity. The two remaining guitar shops around here gurantee and stand-behind any used equipment they carry. Besides, I've never made a purchase without hearing it first . . . except for that custom . . .

4. russianboy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, Peavey amps are known for their reliability and high gain drive (5150, XXX,etc)

Mesa boogies are more expensive, but they are mainstays in high gain amps. If you are going metal, you are almost obliged to check them out, just for comparison. Mind you, the triple rectifier is found by some to be very fizzy, just putting it out there. They also have a GREAT american sounding clean channel, and have all kinds of tone settings that other high gain amps lack (both solid state and tube rectifiers, gain stages, tube damping selections/modes) good stuff.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  5. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Speaking of Mesa, I so desperately want a Road King.

6. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've never been too much to bother using an amp clean - it was always overdriven . . . but then again, my main guitar I had years ago had 3 humbuckers that were staggered . . .

my style was the more bass, the better - and I prefered my amps that way too; Peaveys are good for that, as are Mesas . . . I've been around other people who were always pitchin-a-tent over Marshall and Fender amps, but I've never been thrilled with their sound - great for blues and clean playing, but not particularly suited for metal.

7. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    My Fender Princeton 1x10 combo was a bass monster. Heavy and tight on the lows. Speaker and tube selection has a ton to do with the low end. I had a greenback in there, and high gain tubes.