1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

H50 vs Venomous

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by LAN_deRf_HA, Sep 4, 2010.

1. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    Just swapped out my push-pull Venom with an H50 and thought I'd share a few notes.

1. Idle temp is the same.

2. Noise is worse, somehow.

3. Load temp is about 1-2 degrees worse.

Hard for me to figure out if it was worth installing. I knew it wasn't a top cooler but I was hoping at least that because of my push-pull being aimed right at the back exhaust fan that there'd be some room for noise improvement if I removed that turbulent air situation. Was wrong on that count. My next hope was for improved performance because I figured my venom was never performing as well as it should, but I'm starting to think my i7 is just hotter than average. My last hope was that it'd be easier on my motherboard because the venom's massive pressure has been known to cause problems with memory stability. I have no idea how to test that, just gives me some piece of mind without that 80lbs of pressure.

If anything I'll keep it installed because I'm lazy and sick of reseating that venom.

2. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    H50 really needs more fans, and more rad. It sucks otherwise. It's merely a good, silent replacement for the stock cooler, and that is all.

Add another h50 rad, and your temps will drop dramatically.

3. GENTLEMEN New Member

Thanks Received:
    You could swap your H50 fans with better ones which move more air and you could swap the thermal paste with a better one.

4. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    @ cad
    More fans/rad would all contradict the point. Might as well make your own kit then. And it's not silent, by my standards at least.

@ gent
    I did swap the fans and paste.

I might get a H70 though. It seems to beat air coolers slightly, and I'm tired of having no finger space with these huge air coolers. That's why I got the venom, saw reviews showing it matching the larger D14 when using the same fan setup.

5. GENTLEMEN New Member

Thanks Received:
    H70 would be a good choice. Thicker rad and "smaller" cpu block would be better.

6. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    When a H50/70 can beat a fanless D14 on a 920 at 3.8ghz call me. (rhetorical of course)

But when your comparing the performance of a cooler, how well they do running a overclocked cpu in some stress app is only useful at showing the abilities of the cooler (to me). If I can play games for hours with that overclock and never have the cpu temp over a certain point, that is a bigger sell for me especially if it can doing it fanless.

Silent gaming has become redefined (yes even my HAF 230mm fans I find louder than my 5870).