1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hackers Held Symantec to Ransom Over pcAnywhere Source Code Leak

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Feb 7, 2012.

1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Security software maker Symantec confirmed to the press that the group of hackers that obtained source code of its pcAnywhere software were holding it to ransom. The group claims to be linked to Anonymous. The group allegedly demanded US $50,000 from Symantec in return for destroying the source code it stole, on failing to pay it, the group threatened it would leak the source code to the public, which would expose the software to malware writers and competitors.

Symantec has apparently been in negotiations with the hacker group over preventing the leak, it even agreed to pay the group its "ransom", provided it could do so in monthly installments. The group declined, and the negotiations fell through. A transcript of this email conversation was posted on Pastebin (can be accessed here). The hackers claimed to have posted the source code of pcAnywhere (in a 2.3 GB RAR archive), on a popular bit-torrent site. In our opinion, extorting money is very un-Anonymous. Anonymous, being the self-proclaimed hacktivist group that it is, would post the source code "just for the lulz", without even getting into negotiations with Symantec.

[​IMG]

Source: Hexus.net

theJesus, digibucc and H82LUZ73 say thanks.
  2. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Many Thanks to the54thvoid for the tip.

H82LUZ73 says thanks.
  3. H82LUZ73

H82LUZ73

Thanks Received:
    In January an individual claiming to be part of the 'Anonymous' group attempted to extort a payment from Symantec in exchange for not publicly posting stolen Symantec source code they claimed to have in their possession. Symantec conducted an internal investigation into this incident and also contacted law enforcement given the attempted extortion and apparent theft of intellectual property. The communications with the person(s) attempting to extort the payment from Symantec were part of the law enforcement investigation. Given that the investigation is still ongoing, we are not going to disclose the law enforcement agencies involved and have no additional information to provide.

link to another article hexus.net/tech/news/industry/34901-symantec-held-ransom-pcanywhere-souce-code-leaked/ ,And yes the file is up at the site mentioned,good thing is no one will know what to do with it,Bad if they do....

4. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    HAHA, We use PC anywhere at work

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. _ALB_R3D X

_ALB_R3D X New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think it's time to move to linux again...!Code is up everywhere...and has so many seeders which I think don't really know what they're d/l !

6. H82LUZ73

H82LUZ73

Thanks Received:
    Is it from 2006 and up ?if yes you need to show this to your boss ASAP ,They have the code that decrypts the info ...be it sensitive work info Ie like your company credit cards to what your doing say making a RnD project that is government top secret,Imagine the CIA had there Black Ops profiles under PC anywhere,Hell all the bad guys would be getting the info and we would see mass assassinations.....

7. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    Stalling for time while the feds try and track said hackers or going under... you decide :p

8. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    what a terrible group of human beings.

digibucc says thanks.
  9. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    PC(hacked)Anywhere.

10. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    PcAnywhere is still in use? Even with VNC, VPN and rdc?

10 Million points folded for TPU
  11. etayorius

etayorius

Thanks Received:
    It isnt anonymous, they have stated many times they will never ask for money, its probably the Gov blaming it on Anonymous so they create an excuse to start controlling the internet.

a_ump and dustyshiv say thanks.
  12. H82LUZ73

H82LUZ73

Thanks Received:
    Uhm nope they really have more then just PCAnyWhere Here is the link from 06 http://it.slashdot.org/story/12/01/19/1541252/symantec-admits-its-networks-were-hacked-in-2006And a tidbit...."After having first claimed that the source code leaked by Indian hacking group Dharmaraja was not stolen through a breach of its networks, but possibly by compromising the networks of a third-party entity, Symantec backpedalled and announced that the code seems to have exfiltrated during a 2006 breach of its systems

Norton Antivirus Corporate Edition, Norton Internet Security, Norton Utilities, Norton GoBack and pcAnywhere."

Also read (looking for link)They clearly said it was them with the above group..They are trageting the US law enforcement for the Mega Upload shutdown.....

13. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    And here is a copy of the conversation between Symantec and Anonymous
    http://pastebin.com/NEYbC2Zw

14. Mega-Japan

Mega-Japan

Thanks Received:
    Haha, I read the whole convo. Quite a good read if I might add.
    Now I wish anonymous would go back to hacking SONY... Good times, good times.

15. H82LUZ73

H82LUZ73

Thanks Received:
    https://twitter.com/YamaTough

Enjoy they are saying that Symantec tried to pay them off ...lol yet they tweet they were going to release it if thy did not pay on Jan14.

AnonymousIRC
    AnonymousIRC AnonymousIRC
    by YamaTough
    http://bit.ly/t7CUtZ | Anonymous hacked site of U.S. Security Company | #Antisec #LulzXmas

16. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Anonymous backed down from the Mexican cartels. So from that I can assume they are just bullies that pick on people they know will not hurt them OR care about them. When they had a chance to do some REAL good they ran away. Any respect I had for them was lost when they turned tail and ran away. Apparently they do forgive and forget.

1c3d0g says thanks.
  17. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Mexican cartels are worse than what the FBI and Scotland yard will do? Probably.

Mexican cartels more intelligent than the FBI or Scotland yard? Probably not.

10 Million points folded for TPU
  18. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    So they pick on safe targets. Sounds like bullies to me. If they went after something like the cartels that are killing people left and right THEN I could get behind them. But no. They pick on soft targets that pose no threat AND are not in the wrong expect by a perceived social justice platform.

theJesus and 1c3d0g say thanks.
  19. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    hmmm this is a very interesting development. Down with Norton at last!!! lol jk, sorta. I would think something this huge would've been on TV, to warn like everyone(civilians, companies, etc) about the huge security risk that Norton is hahaha. I find it funny than an AV that is the most reputable is now the biggest risk to one's network/pc, wrong but funny.

20. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    i don't know why you are assuming this to be anonymous. the hackers claimed to be them, that's it. it doesn't really follow their previous mo. i can understand the cartel bit as you say, but this imo has nothing to do with anonymous

21. Bundy

Bundy

Thanks Received:
    Doesn't sound much like Anon to me. If they demanded the FBI throw a getting out of jail party for Kim Dotcom, that would be more typical of their humour. Anon works for the lulz and asking for 50K isn't funny.

digibucc says thanks.
  22. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    We are all anonymous. :eek:

theJesus and digibucc say thanks.
  23. Disruptor4

Thanks Received:
    This isn't anon.

24. Depth

Thanks Received:
    10 points to whoever can go to a public cafe, register a new hotmail account and attempt to blackmail corporations.

25. IceCreamBarr New Member

Thanks Received:
    If this is Anonymous, GIVE IT BACK!!! I am relying on you to be the voice of honesty and reason over the internet. DON'T stoop this low.

If this is not Anonymous, can I suggest that Anonymous steal the software and hand it back to Symantec? This would be a HUGE pro publicity for the group. Much more good would come of this move than a measly $50,000.