1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HAF XM case Fans

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by ramisees, Dec 22, 2012.

1. ramisees New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi
    Just got a HAF XM case with a Asus P8Z77-V motherboard.

The mb has 4 pin fan connectors, the 3 case fans have a molex and 3 pin connectors. My question is, can I use the mb fan connectors to drive the fans [ the 3 pins will fit into the 4 pin], or, should I use the molex connectors.

2. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    4 pins (red,black,black,yellow) is for molex
    3 pins is for board which run based on temp or setting
    personally i dont recommended that

3. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    I have the same mobo, and I use the sys_fan headers to control any fans that seem too loud at full power. The headers are rated to 1 amp (12 watts), so no problem there running stock fans, even the 200/230mm fans only draw about a watt. It all depends on how quiet you want it to be. I have a total of 11 120/140mm fans in my Corsair 400R, and all I hear is a little air movement. Only 2 of my fans are controlled by the mobo, the rest are quiet enough (I just bought 4 new Corsair fans). So, the safest way is to use the 4 pin molex straight to the power supply, that way a $10 fan can't short out your fan header, and only use the headers if a fan is a little too loud at full speed. You can use either Qfan control in the bios, or Fan Expert 2 in the software suite to control the speeds.

4. 1ceTr0n

1ceTr0n

Thanks Received:
    Motherboards can only adjust fan speeds if the fans have 4 pin PWM plugs like this and a BIOS gives you options to adjust fans speeds like the Asus ROG boards. These are typically used for CPU fan mobo headers

[​IMG]

3 pin motherboard fan plugs will spin at full RPM no matter what unless the fan has a thermal diode on it for ambient temperature readings, the mobo doesn't have a clue about the fan other then the RPM speed on the 3rd wire and can't control it

[​IMG]

5. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    Most of the answers are a bit misleading....

The OP refers with 4-pin to 4-pin fan headers on the mobo not molex (which is a totally obsolete solution).

Asus boards have mostly 4 pin fan headers now, but 3-pin fans work fine on them, and even can be regulated for dynamic fan speed.

Yesterday I added 2 new Corsair 3 pin fans to my ROG mobo's 4 pin headers and they are dynamic.

Other brands like AsRock are a bit different and have "some" dynamic 3-pin headers, and some non dynamic. It may change from one mobo to another even within the same brand.

This situation is a shame, as the 4-pin fan offer is much smaller.

micropage7 and Jetster say thanks.
  6. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    PWM vs voltage control

My understanding is that the mobo can either use PWM to pulse the 4th wire to ground (turning it all the way off & on rapidly), or in the absence of the 4th pin, regulate voltage to the 2nd pin (12v +) down to 5-7 volts (on certain boards) while reading RPM from the 3rd pin. I know my Asus P8Z77-V controls 3 pin fans, other brands or cheaper Asus boards may not.

7. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    Yes Hood, I think that's it, and I didn't pretend to include your answer in the misleading answers department. Quite the contrary : )

8. 1ceTr0n

1ceTr0n

Thanks Received:
    Well screw you to erixx

9. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    erixx is correct

10. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    :banghead: oo.. i must be drunk when i read it :D