1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Happy birthday XP!

Discussion in 'News' started by DanTheBanjoman, Oct 25, 2006.

1. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Today, 5 years ago, Microsoft released Windows XP as a replacement of the not so well-liked Windows ME. Starting with only two versions, Pro and Home, Microsoft quickly conquered quite some platforms with its "experience" operating system. Nowadays Windows XP can be found on desktops, tablet PCs, media centers, Itanium, x86-64 and even on servers in the form of Windows 2003 server.
    With 17 million copies sold within the first two months and 100 million copies currently active legally Windows XP takes a huge marketshare. It is even said that there are five times as much copies active when including illegal installations.
    Vista will have a hard time equaling XP, we'll see five years from now.

Source: Tweakers.net

2. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Despite its faults, overall Windows XP is a great OS - and when you consider 5 years on it still supports everything that you throw at it, that just shows how well it has done. From testing Vista I don't honestly think it has much to offer over XP, other than the fact that M$ are only letting DX10 be installed on Vista. I've still got hope for that to change one way or another.

3. bornfree New Member

Thanks Received:
    Isn't this like celebrating SPAM, Phishing, Identity theft, BSODs, etc. ?

I mean none of this crap really existed before XP was released. I've used both W2K and XP and you can keep XP. W2K ain't great by any means, but in my experience it's a far better O/S than XP. If the Linux boys ever get their act together, I wouldn't touch another POS for Microsoft.

4. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    BSOD didn't exist before XP? Where were you during the times of 95 and 98? Windows XP doesn't give me any blue screens, the only time I have them is on my folks PC and that was only because of dodgy wireless drivers. Can SPAM, Phishing and ID theft be blamed on the OS itself? That's more down to using dodgy sites/ giving out your email to the wrong people ect.

5. Shyska New Member

Thanks Received:
    :laugh: This statement is complete opposite of reality...

6. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    When I click your name and then click "find more posts by this user" I have to conclude that you're not very positive towards the world. Perhaps you should post something positive somewhere?

7. b1lk1

b1lk1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The above quote brought to you by:

[​IMG]

Just another internet troll with nothing positive to add.........

8. Tory New Member

Thanks Received:
    Shutup noob. Go back to your little linux computer in the corner.

9. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    lmao...i reckon vista wont be as popular..especially w/ its price :p

10. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
    Well, how come Linux (and its surrounding software base) showed MORE ERRORS/HOLES/VULNERABILITIES than Windows NT-based family of OS did then, in 2005?

See here:

http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/bulletins/SB2005.html

It existed, in ActiveX control, Java, & Javascript vulnerabilities in IE (<- The "main problem" that needed correction & that was simple enough to fix on your own anyhow - disable using them in PUBLIC internet zones!).

It was never exposed before like it has been the last 2 years now though... these same vulnerabilities are REALLY getting used now (worse still, is many are carrying rootkit/VM installations... "no can defense" imo!)

Well, I don't know about "POS" applying to Ms products, they do the job generally... & I for one, do NOT expect 100% security out of ANY relatively larger software efforts, especially today... takes time to "iron it all out" considering how many mixes of BOTH hardware & software today's OS' deal in/with.

BUT, I've been hearing what you said about Linux above for around 14 years now... still waiting.

APK

P.S.=> It's tougher for Linux to keep up on drivers mainly imo... it now has very easily used & highly awarded tools like Kylix (Delphi for Linux) for end-users (usermode/RPL3/Ring 3 development efforts for it)!

However, Linux, for catching up in the driver arena (since there is not as many driver developers out there period by way of comparison to end user mode coders) is tough for the "Penguins" imo!

(Mainly because OEM's of hardware absolutely KNOW there will be users & thus monies to be made, on developing for Windows... & money? A POWERFUL MOTIVATOR/INCENTIVE! One Linux lacks for the most part by way of comparison!)

& that is the area that makes ALL the diff. for device support! apk

Last edited: Oct 26, 2006
  11. Agility

Agility

Thanks Received:
    Seriously microsoft XP is the best OS i've seen so far. And b1lk1 is right, from the day i used XP i have no blue screen of death. No nothing. Even if i have programs not running, i could off it without the need to forcefully swtich off my computer. Seriously its been a great OS. But a big difference when going to vista..sad....

12. Agility

Agility

Thanks Received:
    Sorry for second post guys but i jsut cannot tolerate it. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Hey dude.... 4 letters for you. S.T.F.U :slap: Ever since i saw you posting a casing reviewed by one of our TPU members, you condemned it. Worse you even said its a shit casing. Get a life bastard. You're a real moronic gone-fuck fucking piece of shit. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

13. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    XP had very little BSOD for that fact that it recovered from most of them, and when it did, to was due to a serious issue (and actually tells you whats causing it). Its not XP fault of BSODing, but due to bad coding/bugs from the devs of other software and hardware. XP was the most stable of the OS's. Sure XP had many security flaws, but what would you suspect....the WWW has 5000x increased during XP.

[​IMG]

14. bruins004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    So who do we send the b-day card to?

15. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ah, go easy on him you guys... it's just his opinions, & he is entitled to them!

:)

* Just show evidences to the contrary of what he says... & if he chooses to defend them, or contradict them? Then, it's up to you to try to "re-educate" him is all.

(Tough to do though, just like w/ religious zealots)

APK

16. Agility

Agility

Thanks Received:
    On the planner/developer/Co-producer. Probably they got fired because they dont like the way the newer os (vista) is gonna work. lololol

17. Agility

Agility

Thanks Received:
    Lol but sadly this is not an educating forum. I wish to :nutkick: :nutkick: :nutkick: :nutkick: him badly.:banghead:

18. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    XP might be seen as M$'s golden era when looking back in a few years time... Vista doesn't seem to offer that extra bit that XP did over its predecessors, and from what I've read so far, XP is better gaming wise, and the software does exist to make it as secure as Vista, all of it for free I think.

19. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ah, fair enough... I look @ ALL forums that way though - as a place to learn, or to learn what you thought was 'correct' may not have been, & in ALL conditions...

However - Reality's just a matter of perspective & perception...

LOL, ok... but, make sure you don't get it back...

[​IMG]

Reminds of me the episode of "SMALLVILLE" titled "RUN"... & the very end, where the Flash SMOKES even SuperMan when he challenges him to catch him, & JUST when SuperMan's about to 'catch him'?

The Flash THEN runs BACKWARDS & just waves laughing, & then runs SO fast, that even SuperMan just sits there staring in awe as he stops after the Flash blew him away...

(Probably realizing even HIS "topspeed" is like standing still compared to what FLASH could really truly do, in his area of expertise: PURE SPEED!)

:)

* There's always someone who can get the better of you,even IF in only 1 particular area of knowledge/whatever... even IF only THAT day!

APK

P.S. => Those of you that have seen that episode's ending will catch my meaning... it was AWESOME... apk

Last edited: Oct 26, 2006
  20. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    send the b'day cards to bill gates :p