• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[HARD DISK] Big trouble!

Mancho

Hi guys, i have a very big problem with my IMB Deskstar DTLA-307045.

I can't use the disk like a boot disk or like a secondary disk, because it seems to have a mechanical trouble. I've tried to read the datas with two different PC, but with no success.

When i turn on the PC, i hear the tipical sound of the disk head starting to read, but it can't go forward so, after some some attempts, the disk stops its activity.

Please tell me if i can try to use some software or if i must take my disk to a tech center.

Polaris573

Senior Moderator
Processor LGA 775 Intel Q9550 2.8 Ghz
Motherboard MSI P7N Diamond - 780i Chipset
Cooling Arctic Freezer
Memory 6GB G.Skill DDRII 800 4-4-3-5
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 7850 2 GB PCI-E
Storage 1 TB Seagate 32MB Cache, 250 GB Seagate 16MB Cache
Display(s) Acer X203w
Case Coolermaster Centurion 5
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream 600 Watt
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
If there is mechanical trouble no software is going to be able to read the HD. I'm afraid you're going to have to send it in for data recovery. :(

mikechinym

it maybe is a file system problem. i have seen this problem recently where the disk can boot until the winxp booting screen, then it halt. if can, try boot into msdos and look for the file system by the fdisk command. see whether it is the file system problem.if it is, it will show the file system as unknown where we know there should have data inside.

If it's mechanical forget about your data, hope for IBM to replace it though. If the mechanical part itself is fine but the electronics are fine you could attempt to get a similar disk and transfer the print to save data.

I highly doubt that nasty sounds come from a bad file system.