1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[HARD DISK] Big trouble!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Mancho, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Mancho New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys, i have a very big problem with my IMB Deskstar DTLA-307045.

I can't use the disk like a boot disk or like a secondary disk, because it seems to have a mechanical trouble. I've tried to read the datas with two different PC, but with no success.

When i turn on the PC, i hear the tipical sound of the disk head starting to read, but it can't go forward so, after some some attempts, the disk stops its activity.

Please tell me if i can try to use some software or if i must take my disk to a tech center.

2. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    If there is mechanical trouble no software is going to be able to read the HD. I'm afraid you're going to have to send it in for data recovery. :(

3. mikechinym

mikechinym New Member

Thanks Received:
    it maybe is a file system problem. i have seen this problem recently where the disk can boot until the winxp booting screen, then it halt. if can, try boot into msdos and look for the file system by the fdisk command. see whether it is the file system problem.if it is, it will show the file system as unknown where we know there should have data inside.

4. DanTheBanjoman SeƱor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    If it's mechanical forget about your data, hope for IBM to replace it though. If the mechanical part itself is fine but the electronics are fine you could attempt to get a similar disk and transfer the print to save data.

I highly doubt that nasty sounds come from a bad file system.