1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

hard disk utility

Discussion in 'Linux / BSD / Mac OS X' started by dark2099, Jul 5, 2011.

1. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    I want to test out a friends external drive I just put in a new enclosure, but my windows rig is down, so just have my macbook pro, was wondering what other disk utilities there are for mac that should be able to do a comprehensive check on the drive. Thanks.

P.S. Did the verify disk in the built in Disk Utility, passed that, but the check took all of 5 seconds, so want something more thorough.

2. Apharas New Member

Thanks Received:
    Are you looking to test the drive for bad sectors or for an actual active file system? And is the file system that is on the existing drive NTFS or HFS+ or something else.

If you have access to any x86 hardware I would suggest getting a copy of Hiren's Boot Disk and using HDAT2 if it's a bad sector scan you're looking for.

http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

--
    A

3. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    We're not allowed to mention Hiren's BootCD anymore, as it's actually illegal in some form or other :(

So here's some other info:
    Source.

EDIT: For the record, I don't do Mac's, nor do I know the first thing about them, I just know how to use Google ;) hint hint :p