1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hard drive gone MIA

Discussion in 'Storage' started by CrAsHnBuRnXp, Apr 27, 2008.

1. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Was working fine yesterday. Was playing games and listening to music (game/backup drive). I have my entire music collection along with several backups on that drive with no recent hard copies that I desperately need. If I have lost all my music I will be pissed.

The drive does not show up in My Computer, during POST, or in the BIOS. I have no idea where it went and frankly, no idea how to get it back. What I need to do is throw it in another computer and see if it will show up that way, but im to tired and lazy to do it at this very moment. To much of a hassle. Any ideas guys?

Thanks

2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Well start at the beginning...we just gave someone else with a similar situation some help to diagnose his HDD, but when it was all done...it ended up a loose power plug.

Seems like a good place to start....jiggle it on boot up and see if it spins!?!

3. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
  4. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Heh. Your ever so close. Upon me trying another sata power plug, i noticed that there was a loose sata data cable going to the sata connection on the motherboard. Jiggled it back in and got back in windows and Vista read the drive. XD

Thanks for the possible solutions. Though you, sneekypeet, you are very close.

What I want to know is how it was working fine when i went to bed, then got loose by the time i used it this evening when i never touched it?

5. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    just powering it up is enough sometims to losen something up....doesnt take much sometimes!

6. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    But from the sata port on the mobo? I can see on the hdd but the mobo?

7. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Now what I cant figure out is now that I got the hdd back why my sound immediately quit. Its not muted or anything and I even reinstalled the drivers and its a no go. Im hoping the PCI slot didnt go bad.

8. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried onboard? Or does your DFI have one of those PCI cards?

9. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    In order for me to do onboard, I have to install a card like you did on the nF4 boards and that requires me taking out the motherboard.

10. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Got it!

11. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    When I had my old 36G Raptor Raid 0 setup I had issues were the RAID software kept saying there was an issue but HD tests didn't show any problems with the drives. Through trial and error I found it was the SATA cables coming loose from the drive so one day(on my day off with no one home to bug me) I opened the case and tortured the drives and sure enough I found it was from the HD's spinning up and down from shutting down and turning on that was causing the cables to become loose. Glued them to the drives and never had an issue for over two years(sold them).

Crunching for Team TPU