1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hard drive making noise

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Myst112, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Myst112 New Member

Thanks Received:
    One of my hard drives (a Samsung 160GB SATA) started to make a constant noise, like if something got stuck in a fan, and it keeps getting louder the more time the PC is running. I have disconnected the drive for now, What should i do with it, its not under warranty any more.
  2. GJSNeptune

GJSNeptune New Member

Thanks Received:
    So it's like a harsh clicking?

If it sounds worse than the normal read/write ticking, it's likely failing. If the drive works at all, pull as much data from it as you can (assuming there's data on it that you want to keep).
  3. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    agreed, sounds like its starting to either wear down, or something got stuck.

GJSNeptune is right, pull the data you want off of it and get ready to buy a new one. Im sorry.
  4. Myst112 New Member

Thanks Received:
    its like a wire is touching a CPU fan, something like a loud "zzzzzzzzzz" noise, like a bee.
  5. GJSNeptune

GJSNeptune New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, that's bad. Salvage what you can and get a new one. If it's out of warranty, I'm assuming it's pretty old anyway. Although I'm still using a 40GB WD drive from about five years ago.
  6. Myst112 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i've reconnected the drive and now its not making any noise, for 5 hours already
  7. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Don't take it for granted, salvage your info, and at most use that drive as a low-priority file backup drive or something. I've had a similar experience, and unhooked the drive, forgot about it for months...found it, hooked it up cause I needed more space only to have it fail in a couple weeks. The first day or two it sounded fine, then it started sounding like grinding gears...I was ignorant of it, just figuring the drive was old. That bit me in the ass, I lost 60GB of backup information and music.

Take my experience and everyone else's advice, salvage the information, ditch the drive before it stops functioning.
  8. Fox34

Fox34 New Member

Thanks Received:
    So did it act up when you would be doing something, as in saving a file so the HDD would kick up, or was it just constant sound no matter what? Ive never heard of a constant sound, normally its a ca-click ca-click ca-click vrooooom and repeat.
  9. Myst112 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes, i backep everything up to another drive and just using this one for unimportant data
  10. Myst112 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yep, constant like a fan only louder, just zzzzzzzzzzzz, then louder ZZZZZ, then i just shut down, wait 5 minutes and everything back to normal. And when the PC shuts down, the HD stil spin downs when all the other fans are all stoped, so it couldnt be them
  11. Fox34

Fox34 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Has it effected performance?
  12. Myst112 New Member

Thanks Received:
    nope
  13. Fox34

Fox34 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, right now it doesn't sound like are in any danger, but like we have all said BACKUP your files. It sound like it could be dying I've just never heard of a HDD making a constant sound. Have you changed your system up or tweak it at all or was the noise spontaneous?
  14. Dippyskoodlez New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its likely to die or encounter corruption in the future if you heard head noises, or spindle problems.

I would leave it to unimportant information for the rest of its days. ;)
  15. Fox34

Fox34 New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you have the ambition, give it a good boot nuke and see whats happens, saved on of my HDD once.

(boot nuke is Deriks Boot&Nuke you can dl the ISO and burn it, google it up, good tool to have around)
  16. Dippyskoodlez New Member

Thanks Received:
    Boot and nuke just does a true format.

Formatting will actually speed up hard drive failure if its a physical read/write problem.
  17. Fox34

Fox34 New Member

Thanks Received:
    well its just a weird sign of failure, ive never heard of a constant sound, and boot nuke can fix cylinder and head problems which can cause odd things to happen to a HDD.
  18. Dippyskoodlez New Member

Thanks Received:
    :confused:

If you have head or cylinder problems, its going to disrupt the near perfect reading and writing(it doesn't touch!) and probably contact the platter....

which means the drive's fucked. end of story.

Its lifespan, however may vary :p
  19. Myst112 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i've formatted the drive a few days ago nad installed vista on it, currently im in XP which is on another drive. The noise apperead 2 days later early in the morning, it woke me up.
    Now i actually dont know which of my drives are ok, cause my new one, the Seagate 320GB is making a click noise now or then when accessing data, i dont really remember if it was before, is that ok? Just bought it a week ago
  20. Fox34

Fox34 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Uh the click noise is also a sign of dying, I think both of your HDD's are on there way out dude.
  21. FatForester New Member

Thanks Received:
    yea i got this old 40 gig that sounds like a paper shredder. it works great, but i only use it for messin' around with stuff like linux or as a backup windows. just take it out and use it only when you're bored or if you need it for something "low-priority" as someone else put.
  22. Myst112 New Member

Thanks Received:
    well the click sound is not constant, it makes one click, then the next one can be 5-10-30 or 60 minutes later.
  23. Dippyskoodlez New Member

Thanks Received:
    HDD's often DO make noise when operating.;)
  24. Myst112 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The clicking sound on my hard drive is gotten kinda annoying, so i called the place where i bought it, told them all about the noises i had and if i can replace the drive. Well, they said that if it doesnt have erros or something like that they cant take it back, jeez so i gotta wait till it dies and all my data is lost, pfff :/
  25. Fox34

Fox34 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just back up, thats all you can do for now. Try to not use the Harddive as much as you can and throw it into an old *nix box or something.