1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hard drive no longer bootable

Discussion in 'Storage' started by magibeg, Feb 13, 2012.

1. magibeg

magibeg

Thanks Received:
    So i have 2 hard drives and they were both bootable. The computer stopped booting from the primary drive that i normally boot from (the 2TB) and instead started booting from the 500gb drive again. I looked in the bios the 2TB drive is no longer even an option to boot from. What the heck happened?

-Both drives appear in the bios
    -Only the 500gb drive appears to be bootable
    -The 2TB HD was booting just fine until i came to visit my parents and found it was booting off the 500gb (everything was old and not updated)
    -The 2TB drive can be seen from the windows of the 500gb drive.

I don't suppose there would be a quick fix for this? I'm having trouble finding information on google because it's mostly just entry after entry of drives not being visible in windows.
  2. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    only 2TB in system

boot from disk

go to commnand prompt

Bootrec.exe /fixmbr

reboot.

no work start over

type

Bootrec.exe /fixboot
    magibeg says thanks.
  3. magibeg

magibeg

Thanks Received:
    Ok so I figured it out.

So basically what happened was the 2TB drive got a windows update that required multiple restarts. For some reason during what appeared to be the 3rd stage of the update when it restarted it was no longer considered a bootable drive or something. So when i unplugged the 500gb harddrive it booted normally, finished the update and went into windows. I reconnected the 500gb HD again and everything is working just fine like before. Weird.
    Solaris17 says thanks.