1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hard drive or enclosure dead?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Pinchy, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have this generic 2.5" USB 2.0 Hard drive enclosure and a 2.5" WD IDE hard drive.

Recently, my brother was transporting some files downstairs and dropped it all the way down the stairs. After we plugged it back in, it came up and all, but it was VERY slow.

So, I just left it. Now, (a couple of days later) I plugged it into the computer and the LED on the enclosure come up and all, but Windows will not install the drive. When it tries to install it, it just "fails".

The enclosure always had this problem when plugging it into a front USB port and occasionally the back one. But, after a few tries on the back USB, it would work. Now, it just wont work at all.

Another thing I noticed is that when the hard drive tries to rev up (spin) it stops and clicks, then starts again. This made me think the HDD was gone. Yet, I undid all the screws on the hard drive and (unsuccessfully) tried to open it. I then put the HDD in the enclosure and it still would not install, BUT the hard drive didnt make the clicking...it spun like normal (then slowed down when it didnt install).

Finally, I put the screws back on and the clicking has returned.

Any ideas whats dead/how to fix?

2. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm I think the HDD is going... Clicking sounds are somewhat signs of a bad HDD, experienced 1 from a old maxtor 80gb drive. Sorry mate

Pinchy says thanks.
  3. DanTheBanjoman SeƱor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Connect it directly to a PC for starters. Or use another enclosure. However the clicking would suggest it is the harddrive.

Pinchy says thanks.
  4. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I was going to do that Dan, but the only laptop I have is my brothers, and I don't want to void the 3 yr warranty :p. See I don't want to waste $20 on an enclosure as if it IS broken, I want to get a 3.5" w/ ethernet.

I guess I will buy a $3 2.5 --> 3.5" adapter :D.

5. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    that click is the 'click of death'

on 2.5" USB drives it can happen if its not getting enough power, my enclosure had two USB leads for that reason.

oh and btw, most ethernet enclosures fail. 95% of them only have 100Mb ethernet (so its slower than even USB 2.0, ar around 10MB/s) and a friend of mine got a 1TB WD enclosure in raid -0, and he barely gets 30MB/s.

I'd suggest a USB 2.0/firewire/E-sata cage, and simply use the fastest connection you can on each system.

Pinchy says thanks.
  6. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Didnt think of that...but isnt it odd that it stops when I run it without screws :p?

Yeah I read about that, but it doesnt really affect me. See over the three PC's, I just want the hard drive to be there to backup data (incrementally) every week. There will be music streamed from it on the HTPC (whenever it gets built :p), but that will be running on 54mb wireless. (Oh and my router is only 100Mb anyway ;))