• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hard drive playing me up

System Name Main Rig
Processor AMD FX 8320e 3.8Ghz
Motherboard Sabertooth 990FX
Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H55
Memory Kinston Hyper X RED DDr3 1600Mhz 2x4Gb
Video Card(s) AMD NITRO+ Radeon RX 470 8gb
Storage Sandisk 240GB SSD /Seagate 1TB (STEAM) / 2 x Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB (Storage)
Display(s) Samsung S24D390HL PLS 23.6 X2 Dual Monitor
Case CoolerMaster Scout
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply XFX XT Series 600W PSU 80+ Bronze
Mouse MOTOSPEED V30 Wired Optical Gaming Mouse
Keyboard MOTOSPEED Inflictor CK104 Mechanical
Software Windows 10 Pro 64BIT
Hi all,

Recently iv been having Some Hard drive troubles i currently have a western digital Green 500Gb HD which my operating system is installed on.

Anyway about 3 months ago my copy of windows 7 crashed and the CD refused to fix so i decided to reinstall since then iv had allot of problems with my PC, Seems to be taking ages to boot up, Locking up, Microsoft windows is not responding games randomly crashing and a few Bsod but that tells me it has something to do with Ati.

I also noticed my Hard drive seemed to of needed defragmenting maybe once every day or two days, This was according to Tune up utilities anyway also tried Auslogics BoostSpeed and that kept saying i have disk errors everyday As soon i clicked Fix on Auslogics BoostSpeed it was fine again everything was back to normal but if i ran the scan again a hour after more disk errors. Iv also had to keep putting my windows 7 disc in occasionally as my PC would not start up unless i done that.

I then decided to Test my Hard drive on HD Tune Pro and apparently everything was fine Health was good no bad sectors and i was doing this pretty much everyday during that 3 months and it couldn't find a thing wrong.

Come Monday though it got worse....Everything i clicked on seem to not respond couldn't even highlight a Icon without it freezing. I then decided to just Wipe out my Hard drive and reinstall windows 7 thinking it was a bad install.....So i done that But still freezing not as bad but still feels very sluggish so i Ran HD Tune Pro again and finally i found the problem....My hard drive.

(C5) Current Pending sector Warning
(C7) Ultra DMA CRC Error count Warning

Not sure what they mean exactly first time a Hard drive has gone wrong for me, What gets me is this thing is 2 years old In Feb.

I tried to fix the Problem though Using HDD Regenrator which someone gave me....Again no bad sectors but it said 1 Delay Error.... It said it fixed it but still there is a problem.

Anyone got any ideas as to how i can fix it .... Or should i just send it back to western digital for RMA apparently it's still in warranty till 2013 wasn't sure how long this might take though ?

Sorry about the long post Btw :)

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard AsRock z77 Extreme 6
Cooling Thermalright Venemous X
Memory 2 x 8GB Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) 2 x GTX 480
Storage A-Data 128GB SSD, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Display(s) HANNspree 25" 1080p 2ms
Case Lian Li PC-9F
Audio Device(s) Creative XFI
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKII 750w
Software Win 7 pro x64
Definitely sounds like you need to RMA. As far as how long it'll take, no idea, at least two weeks I'd assume.

System Name Darth Obsidious
Processor Intel i5 2500K
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+ in Push Pull
Memory 2X4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 270x TOP
Storage 128GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green
Display(s) LG IPS234V-PN
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D
Audio Device(s) Infrasonic Quartet
Power Supply Corsair HX650w
Software Windows 7 64bit and Windows XP Home
Benchmark Scores 2cm mark on bench with a razor blade.
Did you try replacing the SATA cables?
Try replacing the SATA cables on all SATA related devices.

UDMA errors are associated with SATA cables in most cases and can indeed cause freezes, long loading times BSOD's

The issue may not be associated to just the SATA cable of the HDD but also the SATA cable of the DVD drive.

I have had an experience a couple of times where the DVD drive SATA cable was the culprit.

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
Dont try to fix it. It never works. Go to Western Digital web site and use there tool to test it and RMA the drive (if its still under warenty)

With HDTUne under the health tab. If its Red its bad, yellow is a warning but not necessarily bad. But to warranty the drive you have to use the Western Digitalis's test

Samsung took 4 weeks to RMA a drive. But as mentioned change the cable first

System Name Main Rig
Storage Sandisk 240GB SSD /Seagate 1TB (STEAM) / 2 x Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB (Storage)
Case CoolerMaster Scout
Audio Device(s) Onboard
HD Tune is yellow on just 2 things :

(C5) Current Pending sector Warning
(C7) Ultra DMA CRC Error count Warning

I did Download WD windows tool to check my HD But it failed on Quick tests and Extended During Think it failed Either on the Smart test or After either way it wont even reach Halfway of the test.

I also tried the DOS Tool they have which you burn to Cd But iv tried 4 different CD's and each time it says there is a file missing License. Txt i think but iv checked the disk and the file in there so not sure what's up with that ...

EDIT : Yh replaced the Sata cable tried about 3 different ones.

temp02

As others said, try replacing the SATA data cable (just as a test, use the one from one of your DVD drive if you have to), then launch HD Tune again (or CrystalDiskInfo) to check the SMART info, if the "Current Pending Sector" warning didn't went away, back up your data and send the drive for RMA.

System Name Main Rig
Case CoolerMaster Scout
Audio Device(s) Onboard
I still use IDE Dvd Drive, The Sata cables i used to test are ones i found in my box of cables...But iv just checked the HD on my second Rig and that's all working so im gonna try the sata cable from that and see what happends.

Edit : Well i replaced the cable and still appear to be getting problems so it looks like ill have to RMA the Drive This is the message i get :

According to WD site it needs replacing......

Also i just stuck my Cable back in my 2nd Rig and went on HD Tune on that to check it and Iv got Warning on health..... this Warning is not the same as what my main pc has but i was just curoius as to why that just come up as a min ago that was fine and also that pc Runs perfect atm ?

Last edited: