1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hard Freeze problem.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by filipg, Aug 2, 2014.

1. filipg

Thanks Received:
    My computer hard freezes when im playing games.. idk whats the problem. gpu is not overheating. cpu as well. voltage is fine. ram is fine (i ran memtest pro 500% no errors). only nb sink is hot and some stuff near cpu sink. i mounted small fan to cool it but it didnt helped. Hard freezes are totally random. yesterday i had one and i changed ram ports and i was able to play all day. today freezed again. changed ram ports didnt helped.
    cpu: amd fx 4100
    gpu: sapphire radeon hd 5850
    power: pangu cooling king s600 600W
    motherboard: gigabyte 970a-ds3

2. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    My money would be on the unknown brand powersupply you're using thats causing all the issues

eidairaman1 says thanks.
  3. patrico

patrico

Thanks Received:
    yeah not bad place to start, ya could try running benches barebones,, try running tests with only one stick of ram etc

4. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    freeze only when you gaming?

5. filipg

Thanks Received:
    It freezes when playing bf 3 prototype 2. It doesnt freeze when im playing world of tanks without music player (winamp). I tried every combination with ram sticks. They are both broken or my ports are. They could be overheating but i doubt that. Freezes are random but when it freezes once it keeps freezing. I checked voltage with hwmonitor pro and its fine for everything. I set my ram to 1600 mhz and 1.6 v i think. I got the settings from ram website. (Kingston). I just changed thermal paste on NB. Nothing changes. I really have no idea what could be the problem. Ill connect another psu and maybe it will work. (Yesterday i played 6 h without crash and i turned constant gpu voltage but it crashed today so i turned it off)

@edit im using msi afterburner also. 725/1000 setting and faster fan speed.

6. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:

I had a faulty Corsair PSU that would do the same thing. It started off as random crashing probably once or twice a week then it started to get more frequent to the point where there would be a 50/50 chance it would cause a BSOD every time i started up a game. When it worked it worked & i could play BF4 for hours without a problem, but if it didnt work it would either BSOD on start or BSOD during gameplay.

Problem stopped when i put in a new PSU

7. filipg

Thanks Received:
    Well.. ill try with another psu. But which one? Any good brands or something?

8. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    what brands are available in your part of the world?

9. filipg

Thanks Received:
    I live in poland so idk.. ill check.

@edit SilentiumPC Deus M1 650W 80Plus Bronze,
    Seasonic S12II-620 620W 80+ Bronze, or
    Zasilacz Chieftec GPS-700A8,
    700W CHIEFTEC GPS-700A8,
    Thermaltake 600W Litepower Black Edition. which one is the best? (seasonic is most expensive on the list i would rather buy something else).
    @anotheredit... i have found these two -
    Corsair VS 650W ATX 120mm,
    Corsair VS650W CP-9020051

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  10. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    Take the seasonic. I know its expensive, but they know how to make a good PSU. the Corsair ones are entry level PSUs so best to stay away from them. Did a little digging on the thermaltake and it seems that the max output on that is actually 500w instead of the 600w stated.

None of the others look that great - only the seasonic really stands out. It costs more but you are paying for quality. Never skimp out on the powersupply because that is the heart of your machine.

filipg says thanks.
  11. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    you buy it from local shop or online
    seasonic is good but corsair is ok

12. TC-man

TC-man

Thanks Received:
    Besides the PSU, overheated VRM on the Gigabyte motherboard could be the culprit. I thought there weren't any heatsink on the VRMs on this motherboard model. Are you overclocking the CPU (and GPU)? As for choosing a PSU, I guess you could get this XFX 550W PSU which makes use of a Seasonic OEM and is more than enough for your current rig.

filipg says thanks.
  13. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    maybe your ssd/ hard drive

14. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    have you tried setting all back to stock? from bios, graphic card too

15. filipg

Thanks Received:
    I reseted bios few days ago but that didnt help at all. Nothing is overclocked. and i know nothing about VRM. I cant even find it in my motherboard. Only NB and SB heatsinks. If its the little stuff near cpu its hot but not overheating. I cooled it with fan. And it didnt helped. Im playing right now without music player for like 6h. Its ok for now. Thx a lot for the link TC-man. Oh and 550w will be enough? I have 2 hard drives connected.

16. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    have you checked your event viewer?
    it should show something Untitled.png

17. filipg

Thanks Received:
    nope. only some errors about unexpected shutdown etc.

18. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    my money is on the power supply being crap seasonic is a good choice

19. filipg

Thanks Received:
    Ill buy XFX 550 its cheaper and he said it will be enough.

20. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    I think you will be ok, But it wont really leave much in the way of reserve for anything else incase you plan to upgrade later on down the line - It all depends what other stuff you got hooked up. I know some folks who run no less than 6 hard drives in their main PCs

21. filipg

Thanks Received:
    Ok ill think about it. Im using 2nd hard drive as storage for stuff so i disconnect it while playing. Oh and it happend again.. i played all day and it freezed. Sound just buzzed and image froze. I turned it off. Damn psu... Oh and 1 more question.. some of my games are running slow sometimes (little lags). Is it possible that my hard drive is too slow? I have epic lags on arma 2 on high and low graphics.

22. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    you never mentioned how much ram you had installed. Part of it could be down to that. Also what hard drive do you have and how full is it? because there tends to be loads of thrashing if theres barely enough room for pagefile. especially with games like ARMA II, Ive played for a few hours and its just completely used up all my ram though im not sure if it was from a memory leak.... Its happened a few times now.

Im guessing that 5850 only has 1GB of ram too & that could also be a limitation depending what res you play at

23. RealNeil

RealNeil

Thanks Received:
    SeaSonic is the best choice out of the ones that you listed. I think that it's the best there is. (my own opinion)

Your Power Supply is the single most important component in your computer.

Without a good brand that you can trust to work optimally, everything else in the system is at risk. It's the logical first-step when building a PC.
    Remember that if a poor quality power supply fails, it can take out a lot of your other PC components at the same time. (it's happened to me before)
    If a high quality PSU fails, it will not destroy the rest of your system.

24. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    The power supply is suspect but start with the easiest/cheapest stuff. Reformat, cable, bad drive take all the extra hardware out even the DVD.

25. filipg

Thanks Received:
    I have 8GB ram kingston hyperx ddr3 and it crashed with first 4gb stick and with secound so they are both broken (no errors in memtest) or ports are broken. And i have 1TB disk about 100gb free. And im playing on 1280x1024. Watch dogs are running almost at full same with other games. Maybe its because of mods or idk.. i just noticed that world of tanks (the game is not crashing when im playing it without music player) is not using multi cores. Is it possible that something is broken with that?