1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hardware lag?

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Ciort, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Ciort New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys,
    I'm new to this forum, and I be very happy if you guys help me solve my little problem.

It started about a week ago, when I played Bad Company 2.. after few minutes in game I start catching lags - periodic lags. 30-40 sec of smooth game, then 2 - 5 sec lag where I can't move or do anything.. I thought it was server we were on, different server - same story.. Same thing happen when I play any other game, in Black Ops when lag appears FPS goes down to 2 - 10 where usually is about 70-100 and lagometer spits different color spikes..

It's not my connection, because same think happen after few minutes of playing singleplayer games.

So far I did try:
    -reinstalling/updating drivers;
    -reinstalling Windows - where I formated C drive;
    -running games on different graphic settings - same thing happen on low settings/resolution;
    -moving GPU to second PCI slot;
    -switching power connectors with another pair;
    -turning off sound card;
    -cleaning my case inside;
    -running Black Ops with custom config file - with low graphic settings to increase FPS;

In past I experienced GPU overheating problem, but now with 70% of fan speed everything was running ok (50-60C) until this LAG thing appears. It looks like everything is fine for 5 - 10 minutes until GPU heat up a bit..

I'm lost with this problem, it can be anything.. If you guys have any idea what it can be or how to troubleshoot it I will be thankful!

I'm planning to buy new GPU, but I have to make sure thats what cause the lag.

Here is my configuration:

Processor - Intel Quad 9550

Motherboard - MSI P7N SLI-FI LGA775 ATX Motherboard MS-7380-030, nForce 750i SLI Chipset

Memory - 2 x Corsair CM2X 2048

Video Card(s) - Point of View GeForce GTX 260 Premium Edition (216-core)

Hard Disk(s) - WD 1TB

Case - Antec 1200

Sound Card - Creative Sound Blaster

Power Supply - Corsair 1000W

Software - Windows 7 64bit

Thanks
    Ciort
  2. Xorgetra

Xorgetra

Thanks Received:
    What drivers did you use ? or wich one are you using ?

I dont see why you have lag in games , your rig is very capable of runing almost every game with no problems .....

Speaking of , one thing comes to mind , did you check your Hard Drive ? maybe its not ok
    Ciort says thanks.
  3. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    Try and check if the GPU is downclocking for some reason like going into 2D mode during games.
    Ciort says thanks.
  4. TC-man

TC-man

Thanks Received:
    Hi,

Try to clear cmos/bios and reload the default settings for the bios. And also try reseating the videocard and in the bios lock the pci-e clock at 100 mhz.
    Ciort says thanks.
  5. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Run HDtune on your hard drive.

Is anything overclocked

What sound card? Soundblaster? Which one?
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
    Ciort says thanks.
  6. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Does this lag only happen while gaming or does it also happen at other times as well?

I have had this issue before but this happen not just in gaming but at anytime.

It turned out to be a bad or poorly connected sata cable to the DVD drive.
    Ciort says thanks.
  7. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    to rule out GPU not being sufficiently powerful for a game, the obvious way is to put a low res/details

monitor GPU/CPU utilization and temps and show us the SS, maybe RAM utilization may help as well, while you play any game in SP
    Ciort says thanks.
  8. Ciort New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks guys! I think I found the problem.. I forgot to check my CPU earlier.. So I played the game, when it start lagging I checked my CPU temp - it was 70°C. So I checked whats the critical temperature for q9550 and I found it's 71.4°C

Temp on my CPU when not in game was around 55°C which is pretty high IMO..
    I opened my case again.. and I discovered shit lot of dust on the heatsink under cpu fan.. I forgot to clean this part (well I was looking to clean everything around my GPU)

I'm lucky man that my CPU didn't die after all this overheating!

Anyway, I'm looking to get new CPU Cooler now.. I found this one - Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 and this paste - Arctic Cooling MX-4 4gm Will that be good choice? I won't be overclocking my CPU!

Thanks again guys, and remember - don't remove dust filters from your case, and clean it inside as often as you can!
  9. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    AC products are generally good value.
    You will be fine with the AC Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2 and the MX 4.

Better than your stock Intel heat sink for sure.
    Ciort says thanks.
  10. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, dust will do that.

Whenever my heatsink gets a dust carpet on it, the temp warning sound starts coming on while gaming. This is especially critical for me, because it's an analog fan and the mobo temp control doesn't work on it, so the cooler has to work efficiently, as it doesn't spin up when the CPU heats up.

A quick blow out and all is well again. Glad you sorted it out. :cool:
    Ciort says thanks.
  11. Xorgetra

Xorgetra

Thanks Received:
    Great dude! im glad you resolved the problem , also that cooler should be enough for the Q9550 ;)
    Ciort says thanks.