1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hardware Malfunction...System Has Halted

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Chryonn, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Chryonn

Chryonn

Thanks Received:
    hi, i've just been having this problem since a couple of days, at first i chalked it up to XP getting corrupted and after a few reboots and a Last Known Good Config, it seemed to work fine, i even got to play Team Fortress 2 for 3 hours with no glitch. then after i started watching a video file, it started coming up with the BSoD (see title) everytime i would play the file it would BSoD on me. this morning i couldn't get into XP at all, it kept BSing on me.

i was convinced it was XP playing up. so i swapped to another older installation of XP on another drive and all went well, then i played the video file again and it BS'ed on me again. so i'm thinking it's not XP it's definitely somethng else. the MS website talks about RAM, so i thought one of the sticks have gone down. after eliminating either stick and the slots, i concluded it's not the RAM, i'm still getting the BS.

could a virus cause something lile this and infect both drives? i had both drives in the PC all i did was swap the boot HDD to get into my back up of XP.

i'm thinking of using another separate drive and installing XP again and seeing if it BSes on me during the install proceess.

any other ideas on what causes this?

2. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    Some generic questions that may offer some insight:

1) How old is the HDD? If you're still installing XP then the thing has to be a couple years old. Perhaps you've got a dying HDD, or a corrupted .dll. Either way, the HDD has to be verified as healthy.

2) Codec pack and player? This will determine how a file plays, and what program it opens up. I personally use media player classic and CCCP. Other people I know use CCCP and VLC. Knowing what you use will help us discover why it's going crazy.

3) File corrupted? There are a variety of programs out there than can check a video file's integrity. Find something you like and check if the video has been corrupted. Corrupted videos can eat through system memory in a blink, and access .dlls that they should not be able to.

My immediate question is where the heck you downloaded the video from. If it was from a trusted site then corruption is most likely. If it was from somewhere less trust worthy then run as many virus/spyware scans as possible. Either way, remove it from any network you have. Better safe than sorry.

3. Chryonn

Chryonn

Thanks Received:
    hi. thanks for your reply. i'll offer some more clarification, it's not just the video file that's causing this. the BSoDs were happening regardless of the video, in some cases and it woiul it never made it past the welcome screen and it would BS. the HDD in question is a 1TB Western digital Caviar Green. the mfg date is 18 sept 2008 i think i got it within 6 months after that. i've checked the drive using a SATA dock and hooked it up to this netbook and it accesses all files and folders fine. i've already put in an empty HDD in the main rig and will install Win 7 on it and see if it goes well without incident. i'm convincing myself it IS the HDD as i can't think of anything else (hardware-wise) that would be at fault. will report back anything i find.

Update: i tried to install win 7 but i kept getting this Blue Screen error: "A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within the allocated time interval" (more on this later**) off to Google i went and while there was nothing definitive i did find out that one of my cores may be acting up, and that a little bump up the Vcore might be on the cards. so i went into the BIOS and looked at the Voltage Monitor sub-section and saw that the Vcore was stable at 1.36V but the CPU VTT Voltage was fluctuating between 1.05V and 1.50V. further reading of the VTT Voltage indicates that it's used to stabilise overclocking along with other voltage options. i decided to hit the middle and keep it at 1.30V. now i'm back on the old installation of XP and it "seems" ok. granted i'm leaving it idle with barely anything going (downloading the Hard Reset Demo and typing this) but i'll stress it out and see what happens.

**this usually means one of the cores could be failing or undervolted.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011