1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hardware they don't make but you'd want

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by largon, Jul 10, 2012.

1. cmaxvt

cmaxvt

Thanks Received:
    A 24 inch 120 hz IPS panel... PLEASE :banghead:
  2. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I got one.

A good original video game.
    Sinzia says thanks.
  3. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    As much as I love new tech stuff, I really think that people need to reflect on where we were a few years ago and where we are now and appreciate what you have now.

As for new stuff I would want, make everything we have now use less power and make batteries last longer.
  4. SaltyFish

SaltyFish

Thanks Received:
    Internal PCIe ATSC TV Tuner card with component video inputs. DVB versions of such exist (Compro and BlackGold make some), but sadly I live in an ATSC broadcasting country. Also adding composite and S-Video inputs would be a nice bonus.

Monitors/TVs/displays with durable screens. No more worrying about scratching the screen. But with the rise of touch-screens, glass screens might make a comeback.

I think what you're describing is CRT display technology. The Zapper, SuperScope, Menacer, GunCon 1, GunCon 2, etc. all relied on the way CRT screens displayed to function. LCD display technology is radically different so those light guns will not work with it. The GunCon 3, however, works with different types of display technologies, including plasmas and LCDs.

I'm not sure if CRT monitors are still being made. I think all the hardcore FPS, fighting, and retro-light gun game fans are hoarding their old ones. Anyone know anything about this?
  5. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:

You hit the nail with that one... the only change I would make is to have an SSD as backup in the same unit. IIRC the i-RAM battery ran out after 10 or so hours so having the option to backup the RAM data into an SSD would be pretty useful. Kinda like Intel's SRT Enhanced mode but for RAMdisks.

Oh, and make it all transparent to the OS, no software involved.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I think RAMdiscs are overshadowed by SSDs these days. RAMdisc is still faster than an SSD, but in my experience there's not much you can do with a RAMdisc that would be a significant benefit over an SSD. When I was using a RAMdisc I mostly used it for storing temp browser cache and temp Windows files. RAMdisc will still always be faster than an SSD, but the difference is much narrower between RAMdisc and SSD than with RAMdisc and hard drives, especially older drives.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    dual core 10thz processor with comparable gpu
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    I would like a PSU with all solid state caps.
    And all motherboards which will have user replaceable LAN NICs.
  9. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    SeaSonic X-SERIES X-1050 have all solid caps. As well as other high end PSUs
  10. Yo_Wattup New Member

Thanks Received:
    ahem.. uhhh... read the first word of the title of this thread...
  11. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    Make *all* i/0 connections to be front ones, except power. But in a tidy way of course :)
  12. Depth

Thanks Received:
    Why don't you just turn your case around and attach all the cables in a tidy way?
  13. Sir B. Fannybottom

Sir B. Fannybottom

Thanks Received:
    I still have one! It has 4mbs in it atm. I also really want a display that wraps around you kinda like this:
    [​IMG]
    but at a decent price.
  14. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    From what I understand, they have never completely solved the short lifetime issues of those kinds of LED. The "organic" in them basically makes them "rot" in a sense, especially if any moisture gets into the cell. Hence, you do see big screen OLED displays, but they are hugely expensive and are only sold into the professional market to rich organizations, where they can afford to change them out more frequently in order to have an impressive display grace their conference centres, etc.
    Frick says thanks.
  15. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Ahh thanks. Sad, I was really excited about that when they started talking about it. :(

No it doesn't. No PSU have ALL solid caps afaik.
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
    qubit says thanks.
  16. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    A "Rage" detector that shields the monitor/mouse/keyboard with a force field and protects my hardware from when my old neanderthal brain comes to life during video game struggles. Also injects me with a nice soothing tranquilizer dart.
    MxPhenom 216 and qubit say thanks.
  17. qubit

Thanks Received:
    That reminds me that there are other LED technologies that aren't so far away either, which may well replace LCD in the next couple of years. Again, I can't remember clearly any more than that, because it was one of those small news articles one reads which wasn't that widely reported.

Also, I suspect that there's too much money to be made from current LCD technology for the industry to switch, but that's just my own opinion and speculation!

lol, that reminds me of some recent LAN play with friends on UT2004, where I kept nailing one particular player. He eventually got so frustrated that he raged, smashing his mouse down on the desk and breaking it! Poor sod. :laugh: Someone then bravely lent him another mouse, which he somehow managed not to break.
  18. Depth

Thanks Received:
    Tsk, you people...

I want the equivalent to a global, free wi-fi system.
    No-bearing frictionless computer fans.
    Angle grinders that don't make noise.

I want a device that absorbs all dust from a room and requires no maintenance.
    A universal remote that IS, infact, universal.
    High quality, lightweight wireless headset with lossless broad-spectre sound quality.

I want a device that would cause a bubble where time stood nearly still, to store food nearly indefinately at ambient temperature.

Or perhaps most of all, a device that would slap me if I didn't go to bed
    _JP_, [XC] Oj101, james888 and 3 others say thanks.
  19. camoxiong

camoxiong

Thanks Received:
    Quad GPUs in 1 card and Crossfire/SLI compatible
  20. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Ah, there's one. Dual core GPUs.

And how's this... add-in PCI-E processor cards.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    A motherboard which could host GPU chips and NV Ram. If you wanted to change your GPU, you could just buy a new chip, add more NVRam or buy a second GPU.
    Also upgradable north and south-bridges, sound processors and slots for Flash ram for an integrated SSD.
  22. qubit

Thanks Received:
    I'd extend that idea: make them gangeable, so that they appear as one super-wide logical GPU. This would make them use the whole RAM as one instead of dividing it in half, plus there would be no SLI/CrossFire issues.

To perform this feat, they would interface directly with each other with little to no glue logic. Think interlocking your fingers and you get the idea.
  23. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    What benefit would dual core gpus give? just make a bigger/more powerful single gpu. It's not like many people play two games at the same time.
  24. qubit

Thanks Received:
    I'm talking about ganging up two single GPU chips into one logical one.

Thinking about it though, making two GPUs in one chip package could also make sense. Making one double-sized GPU is hard and expensive, so putting two separate ones in the same package would be a way around that.
  25. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    hmm... this was actually a project in my Technology class back in 10th grade. back then I thought of a card that would add more memory to the gpu... but now that's no longer a problem. it seems a lot of cards tend to have more memory than they need except for maybe the highest end cards.

But today... I'd have to say I'd like to have a hardware based compression card so I can run my games on my desktop from any pc / mobile device on the internet... kinda like the onlive service only using my pc rather than theirs
    james888 says thanks.