1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Has any one Flashed there 8800GT yet?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by trickson, Dec 2, 2007.

1. TXcharger

TXcharger New Member

Thanks Received:
    q6600 and a 8800gt... and you play barbie? :p
  2. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
    um no I have 4 small children :rolleyes:
  3. bigboi86

bigboi86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    To most people on this forum ANY increase is well worth it.

That is what overclocking is about. We want power. I overclock everything I buy and I am proud to say my PC performs better than most that cost way more than I paid for my parts.

This is especially true for the people buying midrange or low end parts that make a HUGE difference when overclocking.
  4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    systems around the price range of mine are teh best example, yes i have a quad core and a GtX - but go find me a quad core at 3.6Ghz for <$500 Au :p (~$360 CPU + $100 for cooler/fan)

compared to the 2.93Ghz extreme models, OC wins :D

my GTX barely overclocks, but in some cases (3dm06/crysis) i get almost a 10% increase - oh noes, 10%.... 10% of a GTX is actually quite a lot of power, esp. if you want just that one setting cranked up more...
  5. freeboy

Thanks Received:
    I agree in part, I love oc, and when I can get my system up I hope to pur some mid 4300-4500 results, but my query was what is the difference when bios correction, tatty saw some results.. but for me, a one to 3 percent advance for an already fast card is , re bios correction only, not something that I am that excited about.. I am thinking on cool water, with active air blowing on the capacitors and memory a 700 core 2100 mem is a good target.. algready close b efore I started the upgrade ... thanks
  6. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah thats a good point but a Bios Mod is free so why not use it.....it's like trying to fill a big bucket full of water, why turn the tap on only half way when you can turn it on fully and fill it quicker :D

I'll post a couple of those test now, see how they run at say 700 core (shaders linked) and 750......watch this space.
  7. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
    :rockout::D
  8. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    OK, this is just a quickie for freeboy, nothing sceintific, I ran my system at 24.7 settings not tweaked, identical for both runs, the first file is at 700mhz core, memory 1045mhz, 2nd file is at 750mhz again at 1045mhz memory. Nothing else has changed, I did a fresh reboot for both runs.

I used FRAPS in game on a 30 second benching loop of Counterstrike Source on the "Milita" map, this for CSS is one of the most demanding, because the Source engine is not especially demanding, just to make it interesting I had EVERYTHING on high settings with 16x CQAA and 16x AF........cannot get much more demanding than that, on my native resolution of 1680 x 1050.

The file shows min/max/average frame rates, I have not done the math for the differences, I'll leave you to do that.

Attached Files:

freeboy says thanks.
  9. freeboy

Thanks Received:
    looks impressive.. I have an factory oc pro1950 that is a nice older card, cough, and the new card (8800) with which I hope to set some nice system scores.. thanks .. I have not "corrected" a card bios, is it something that if u screw up can be reset?
  10. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Well yes it can . a blind flash is what they call it though I have never done this before I hear tell it can be done .
    I am waiting till I get some better cooling on this card then I will be flashing the BIOS back and try to get it smokin fast !
  11. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
    I had a bad flash once all you do is buy a cheap pci video card boot up and reflash you can then return the pci video card or keep it bought mine for 5 bucks on fleebay.
  12. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    I have flashed blind before as I dont have a PCI card....it's really easy, all you do is pay attention carefully whilst you are flashing, when you reboot.....if it fails simply boot again to the floppy, leave it a few seconds (remember there is nothing on the screen), then even though you cant see it the "A" prompt will be there, just type in exactly the same command as before but replace the file name "newbios.rom" with "oldbios.rom"................hit "enter".........now if you paid attention to the origional flash you would know that a queestion comes up asking if you want to proceed so after waiting a few seconds type "y" hit enter again........leave it a few seconds as it will then ask you to reboot........PC off......PC on......job done!
  13. freeboy

Thanks Received:
    do I need a floppy?
    I have the older cough 1950
  14. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Yes it is very advisable that you have a floppy drive .
  15. freeboy

Thanks Received:
    any reason I could not flash from a cd?
  16. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    Nope thats fine, just make a bootable CD, copy the files, process is the same, boot to CD.
  17. williamw1987 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im new here, Ive got me an BFG 8800GT OC... and recently got hold out an OC2 BIOS file. I have only flashed a gfx card BIOS once, that was for a 2900pro to an XT BIOS, which went fine. Is it just a case of doing exactly the same thing with the ATI card? meaning do I just put the flash utility onto a bootable USB stick along with the OC2 BIOS file and then boot to the USB stick, type in the name of the BIOS file and away we go?

Thanks for the help in advance.
  18. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    Welcome to the forums!......Yes, kind of, make sure you have Nibitor 3.5B and NVFlash 5.57, read your OC2 BIOS first (in NIBITOR) to make sure it has 1.1V in "extra" enabled under voltages otherwise all you are doing is setting clock speeds higher at startup which you can do in anycase without the flash, if the OC2 BIOS still shows as 1.05V you would be bettrer off changing the OC2 BIOS to 1.1V using Nibitor.

Then as you said, stick your new and old rom files on your USB boot, along with NVflash 5.57, boot to the USB, when you get the "A" prompt simply type in:

nvflash -4 new.rom .........(assuming "new" is what you have called the edited OC2 BIOS).....make sense?
  19. williamw1987 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thats awesome, makes perfect sense. Thanks for the help dude, much appreciated. I'll post back when its done :)