1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Has anyone done extreme mods on their motherboards?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by inachu, Apr 19, 2007.

1. inachu New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am thinking from simplistic to overly complex.

SIMPLISTIC as reseearching every part on the motherboard and buying the best replacement parts. A good example would be replacing all the capacitors with non liquid caps that do not dry out.
    Many cheap motherboard makers go on the cheap side to save money by using capacitors that have internally paper and liquid that dries out thus killing your sound/motherboard.

I used to know the best brand name cap makers but this was eons ago and the name escapes me.

COMPLEX Such as cutting the motherboard and resoldering the connections for custme made cases.

2. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    i wish that would be sooo cool. i hear alot of ppl do it with abit or was it asus?

3. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    I've never seen hardware die because of caps, just not working properly because the caps themselves were leaking. However replace them and the hardware is fine. I see no point in voiding your warranty by replacing them. If the caps fail you can RMA the board, if you have no warranty left you can always replace them when required. I see no reason to do it before that.

4. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    well their is always stability better caps will prevent alot of fluctuation or in the case of sound cards noises and failing etc.

5. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Stability is such an overused argument. If there are stability issues due to caps the caps are most likely defective. Though feel free to show me reviews, work logs, etc where replacing perfectly fine caps got rid of instability. (improving stability doesn't exist, it's stable or not)

6. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    actually dan a cap can work fine and their can be instability due to power fluctuation because of the psu and hardware used. and seeing as that doesnt warrent a rma because the caps work fine under less stress thats why you replace them because they work but their cheap and cant hold the levels their specified as under certain amounts of stress and i wont bother proving it to you mr google man..Here

7. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    So you're saying caps are fine, but due to the PSU used they could still fluctuate under stress? How about changing all caps in the PSU as well? I doubt the issue exists very often, I never read that the world records were made using different caps for example.

Plus, I still doubt that it's the quality of the caps that can be blamed. When you ask more power from them it is more likely that you simply need different caps rather that the current are of poor quality. It's like saying your AA penlites are of poor quality because you require 1.8V instead of 1.5(1.2).

8. larrymoencurly

larrymoencurly

Thanks Received:
    www.badcaps.net has information about good and bad brands of caps and how to replace bad ones.

Some of the good brands are Nichicon (except for a run of overwatered HM and HN types), Nippon Chemicon, United Chemicon, Rubycon, Sanyo, Panasonic, Philips, and Illinois. They're sold by Digi-Key, Mouser, and B&D Enterprises. The latter carries solid Sanyos.

9. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    If its truly a bad cap that can effect some things.. But simply replacing a lesser quality cap, it wont do you any good if you don't have the power to charge it in the first place.

Yes better quality caps can hold voltage more stable and clean up the power quite a bit better but thats all they are really responsible for.