1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Has Anyone Migrated a RAID to P67?

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by ArmoredCavalry, Apr 19, 2011.

1. ArmoredCavalry

ArmoredCavalry New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm looking to upgrade to a Sandy Bridge CPU soon, and just wondering, has anyone successfully migrated an Existing RAID 0 (or any other) to a P67 chipset from an ICH10R controller?

I've found varying results from a google search, and just wondering if anyone on TPU has feedback on the issue. Thanks! :toast:

2. Sinzia

Thanks Received:
    worked just fine for me, I was moving from an asus p6q pro turbo to an asus p8p67 deluxe.
    All I had to do was tell the uefi to use raid, and when the machine rebooted and the ICH10 picked up the drives (the same window that says use control + i to setup raid) it was all set, didn't loose anything, or had a single hiccup of any kind.

ArmoredCavalry says thanks.
  3. ArmoredCavalry

Thanks Received:
    Ah, thanks for the reply.

How is the uefi bios btw? I usually get Gigabyte mobos, but between the uefi bios, and the shielding on the sabertooth board, I'm starting to lean towards Asus for P67. :D

4. Sinzia

Thanks Received:
    I love it myself, and since I'll be using some 3TB drives in the near future, I wanted to be sure it could boot off them.

It also makes for making a hackintosh that much easier, the hardest part of that before was the fact that apple doesn't use bios, its been uefi for a ton of time.

5. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    ICH10R is just a tweaked ICH9R and i been running raid 0 and 5 and 1+0 and it's been great and see no reason the ICH10R be any different..

How ever make sure to use the Rapid Storage Technology drivers too which are version 10.1.0.1008

6. ArmoredCavalry

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I was actually saw someone mention RST while searching. Are these drivers installed via the BIOS or Windows? If they are in windows, doesn't it make installing them impossible (if I can't boot from RAID to begin with)?

7. Sinzia

Thanks Received:
    The windows drivers are a compilation that goes all the way back to the ICH8, that part doesn't matter.

What matters is knowing if you need to rebuild the array, which you shouldn't have to.

8. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
  9. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Well with Vista \ 7 you use a raid even before you have the intel drivers even installed so should be all fine just installing them.

10. ArmoredCavalry

Thanks Received:
    Alright, so if I'm understanding correctly, the drivers aren't needed at first (the RAID will be recognized before installing them). They just should be updated once I am in Windows?

11. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Yes, for better performance and actually for making arrays within windows.

12. ArmoredCavalry

Thanks Received:
    Ah, that makes sense, so it is like the predecessor to Intel's Matrix Storage Technology?

13. Trackr New Member

Thanks Received:
    I migrated my 8TB RAID 5 array from my P45 chipset to P67. Works like a charm.

I've also had similar luck moving my SoftRAID between Windows 7 and Windows 7 SP1, but I suppose that's more of a given.

14. Sinzia

Thanks Received:
    Yep, the biggest thing with installing the drivers is to enable write-back caching, that helps a ton with the speed of the array.

It also lets you do other things, like verify the arrays and such.