1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

has the british Government gone mad

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by dr emulator (madmax), Jul 14, 2009.

?

(uk only) has gordon brown gone to far? are you

Poll closed Aug 1, 2009.
  1. happy to pay the extra 50 pence a month

47.1%
  2. angry at funding someone elses connection

29.4%
  3. couldn't care less

29.4%
  4. just wishing they'd stop trying to get more money out of us

35.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. dr emulator (madmax)

dr emulator (madmax)

Thanks Received:
    this bit of news comes from msn tech & gadgets
    http://tech.uk.msn.com/news/article.aspx?cp-documentid=148015442
    and to be honest if it's true will have me flaming with rage

Digital Britain:
    Govt plans 50p per month tax on phone lines
    The Government will levy a tax on every fixed line broadband connection in the UK in order to create a fund to ensure those in rural areas have access to next-generation services.

There will be a levy of 50p per month on each broadband connection, with the Government hoping to build a fund of up to £175 million by 2017 in order to make sure the Final Third (ie the areas that struggle to get broadband speeds enjoyed by those with strong infrastructure) get high-quality networks.

The tax will be collected by broadband operators as part of normal monthly contributions, and will begin from 2010. However, households on low income will not be affected.

The Government has justified the collection of £12 per year by stating that the cost of broadband connection in the UK has fallen so significantly that it's only fair that some of that saving is plugged back into the infrastructure.

"Against that background, the Government believes that it is right to share a small part of that saving, and that a Next Generation Fund supplement of 50p per month on fixed lines represents a fair and sensible national investment to ensure that the overwhelming majority of the country can get access to next generation broadband."

Those network operators that want to get hold of the Fund to provide the next generation broadband service would then have to tender the Government group in charge of the project.

2Mbps for all

The Government has pledged to improve broadband infrastructure so every home can access at least 2Mbps broadband speeds by 2012.

The current estimate has stated that around 89 per cent of home can pick up this speed already, and of the remaining 11 per cent the report believes that using iplates, like those offered by BT, means that 4 per cent of households can sort the problem themselves.

Of the remaining 7 per ceny, the Government will concentrate on those without a connection, and will look to resolve any specific problems related to wiring or similar.

However, the main strategies have not been set out, so the Government will create a specific body in order work out the most cost-effective and technology agnostic way of bringing 2Mbps broadband speeds in the UK.

what do you guys think ?
    personaly i think it's disgusting and i'll probably have it switched off
    i don't live in the middle of nowhere and if i had the money to do so
    i would be able to afford to get the net properly installed
    like someone else has already said why should i pay for someone else to get broadband:mad:

odameyer says thanks.
  2. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Well... it's a toss up for me.

Firstly, let me say I am in USA so I am unaffected by this legislation.

[rant]
    Secondly, I live in rural USA and I'd say we got it worse than your rural UK. The distances are greater and the population in these areas are more sparse. This same issue came up with the power and telephone service back in the mid 1900s. What was decided is that every power and telecommunications company gets a jurisdiction that they are responsible for providing service to. As such, there is little/no competition and all services are pretty much craptastic but at least you have service. If I lived a mile farther away from the town (which does have competition), I would still be stuck on either 56K modem or satellite Internet.

Thirdly, the area I sway on is whether or not telecommunications should be socialized like they are talking about. I say no. Being stuck to a 56K modem is a single consequence of where I live. I feel that the people that live in cities should not be taxed so I get better service. The rural population is always less than the urban population...

Fourthly, on the other hand, the world is becoming very Internet dependant. We are dependant on the road system too but, even if you live 200 miles from a stretch of road your taxes are paying for, you still will find it useful directly (you are traveling somewhere and happen to cross it) or indirectly (goods being brought to you use that road). Knowing this I think the Internet needs to be broken down into segments. That is, government's responsibility is connecting cities and private industry responsibility is connecting residencies and businesses to the government trunk lines. It is also government's responsibility to connect government establishments. Think of it as the Interstate system here in the States--I think that is where government should draw the line. It should be paid for by the ISPs that use it (if that isn't enough, the rest being covered by infrastructure spending).
    [/rant]

Conclusion: The legislation is wrong. Rural Internet isn't vital to the economy and therefore, the responsibility to get Internet to rural populations isn't a governmental responsibility. Government has some responsibility in providing city-to-city access to the Internet but its commitments end there.

odameyer and dr emulator (madmax) say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    satellite Internet sucks too....

They are overpriced, overrated, and over controlling.

Plan "Advertised" Monthly cost!! Daily Limit !
    download/upload speeds

Home 1.0 Mbps/128 Kbps $59.99 per month! 200 MB

Pro 1.2 Mbps/200 Kbps $69.99 " (MY PLAN) 300 MB

ProPlus 1.6 Mbps/250 Kbps $79.99 " 425 MB

Elite 2.0 Mbps/300 Kbps $119.99 " 500 MB

ElitePlus 3.0 Mbps/300 Kbps $189.99 " 500 MB

ElitePremium 5.0 Mbps/300 Kbps $349.99 " 500 MB

If you go over your limit your stuck at 56k for 24hours....they give you 3 hours a day unlimited I think. At least it works that way for my cos.
    http://sharlaitdanes.com/HughesSatelliteInternet.html

Just think how these people are getting screwed.....350USD a month and only 500MB per day limit...lol.

I live 300 feet out of range for DSL I live about 20 miles out side if Tulsa that has a main internet line running through it.......

I had to BEG for them to turn it on to see if it would even work.....My internet goes on and off at least 20 times every day.....at 1MB per sec

If I lived in town I could get fiber at 25GB per sec no limits for about 40 dollars a month....

dr emulator (madmax) says thanks.
  4. dr emulator (madmax)

dr emulator (madmax)

Thanks Received:
    let me just say i don't resent anyone getting the net
    just i don't see why i should pay for some millionare to get it
    and why my government expects everyone in britain to pay, it's ludacris
    it's like someone else said on the posts over there
    next they'll be trying to tax us on ther air we breath
    and for riding a healthier pushbike around :mad:
    hey they already have them in their sites:shadedshu
    i swear i'd move to the usa if it wasn't so hot in summer:laugh: ;)

odameyer says thanks.
  5. dr emulator (madmax)

dr emulator (madmax)

Thanks Received:
    whoa i could'nt be doing with that
    500 mb
    a day :eek::wtf:
    my beef with it all is i virtually had a sales man bug the cr** out of me several times untill i signed up :shadedshu
    and he said it wouldn't go up from the £18 or 29.36700 US$ a month i'm paying now:mad:
    before that i used to drag my machine round to my mates house from time to time to get updates drivers and the like
    (mind you it wasn't free as i had to babysit his son ,who isn't any bother so it was just a bonus being able to surf the net) he's about 9 now and is game mad, so he's always fun to speak to ,although he's got a better computer than me hasn't he sir_real :mad::cry:
    so i'm just full of envy when i'm there:laugh:
    anyway the nets ok just i need to be doing something buisness wise to make it pay
    is tpu up for sale?:rolleyes::laugh::roll::laugh:

odameyer says thanks.
  6. Sir_Real

Sir_Real New Member

Thanks Received:
    Note wrong with charging phone line users 50p a month to upgrade the internet in the uk. Its only Adsl users that have the prob with slow connections.

Cable users wont be included in the 50p charge as the uk cable network has no prob with connection speeds.

7. kylzer

kylzer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well i don't really care, i get around 5Mbps avg down on this ADSL service (BT)

but i mean i don't think forums need that much speed to load as thats the only thing i do on the net is just spam forums with useless information like i'm currently writing :)

8. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Unfortunately taxes in the US are just going to get worse and worse and with this current administration treating Dollars like Monopoly (game) money, hang on to your pounds and euros. I wouldn't be surprised if the US taxpayer pays more in taxes than the UK taxpayer in two years.

Nick89 and dr emulator (madmax) say thanks.
  9. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:
    TBH it's not that much and I used to live in a rural area where the top speed was 512k. Although I kinda think the broadband companies should invest their OWN money in it and not ours...

10. dr emulator (madmax)

dr emulator (madmax)

Thanks Received:
    i agree as long as it is just phone lines that get charged although that thread above gave me a totaly diferent view
    anyway what do you no mr 10 meg:laugh::roll::laugh::D

will pick monitor up probably after thursday need to get me summer retreat tidy first chappy
    plus i've got to find someone with a tank to bring it round:laugh::laugh::roll::laugh::p

hey you no vote :mad::mad::cry:

11. dr emulator (madmax)

dr emulator (madmax)

Thanks Received:
    :laugh::roll::laugh::D classic

12. Sir_Real

Sir_Real New Member

Thanks Received:
    Why you still on 2meg ? You must be the only virgin media user still using a 2mb connection. :roll:

13. dr emulator (madmax)

dr emulator (madmax)

Thanks Received:
    hm true :cry::cry:

14. dr emulator (madmax)

dr emulator (madmax)

Thanks Received:
    your up late chappy was going to talk to ya over msn but your not signed in:confused::wtf:

15. Sir_Real

Sir_Real New Member

Thanks Received:
  16. dr emulator (madmax)

dr emulator (madmax)

Thanks Received:
    what's the cost as i haven't got that card they sent through the post

17. MilkyWay

Thanks Received:
    Why do Americans get so uptight about government controll its not like the Empire from star wars and its not like extreme right wing will have you believe, its not near as controlling as communism.

They are upgrading lines all over the UK not just rural areas.

They are trying to provide a service, the believe everyone should have a reasonable connection. If you got your way it would be anarchy, we would have to much choice and private companies would dictate things to us, like price, product and quality.

50p isnt that much its like less than a can of beer, about the price of a packet of crisps FFS.

So what are people supposed to do what the Victorians did crowd the cities from the villages?

DaMulta says thanks.
  18. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Government is great at being inefficient and ineffective. It takes months/years to get anything done that involves the government unless you are paying cash for it up front (like drivers license renewal). Oh, or elections are coming up...

Why have Uncle Sam do something, paid for by everyone, if private enterprise can do it better, only for the people who demand it, and do it for much cheaper.

I have no problem going back to 56K--that's just the consequence of where I live. Yes, it sucks, but at least I'm not indebted to anyone nor am I mooching off my fellow countrymen.

We have hundreds of thousands of miles of roads that are in desperate need of repair. Those are a much higher priority for tax dollars than Internet for everyone (at least they should be).

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2016
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. dr emulator (madmax)

dr emulator (madmax)

Thanks Received:
    i agree just i'm sick of gordon brown laying something else on us money wise
    as i said i don't resent anyone getting the net unless it's sir_real:laugh::roll::laugh:;)
    only joking matey ahh well the end of mad posts here :shadedshu :cry::cry:
    have you all signed up to http://generalnonsense.net/ hm
    get over there now;):D and do it;):D

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2016
  20. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    and i was sitting here thinking every government is mad

21. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Tru dat. USA's government is beyond mad; it is somewhere between crazy and insane. Is there any government that isn't?

Crunching for Team TPU
  22. Cuzza

Cuzza

Thanks Received:
    Rural Internet IS vital to the economy when the rural economy is vital to the overall economy, case in point here in New Zealand, where our biggest industry is dairy and sheep farming.

This is because farms are like any other business and can benefit greatly from all the services that are available online these days. Not to mention farms need workers and they want to be online too, the have friends and want to email them and do other net stuff like everyone else.

Therefore I have no problems in my country paying a bit of a subsidy so that rural areas can have decent connections.

I am sure that this is also the situation in many parts of the USA. Perhaps on a national scale it's not crucial to the economy. Certainly in Britain it probably is not that way. However, I used to live in England and if I was there it really wouldn't bother me paying a little bit more for infrastructural improvements for rural areas. One day I might like to live out in the country, but I'd want to take the internets with me. So I voted it's OK.

23. denice25 New Member

Thanks Received:
    couldn't care less...

24. MilkyWay

Thanks Received:
    Organised humans are more efficient than single humans that is why humans banded together, humans like to improve a lot too. I think its when individuals make mistakes that is the problem.

The government are supposed to be running the country because we cant do it on our own.

I we had private companies running everything they would dictate quality, price and stock. The government would hire private armies, we would have private security and private detectives instead of a police force, i dont even now how fire service would work, NHS is infinitely better than private, private is only better because its priced high, at least the HNS is free and will treat for anything, you cant put a price on health and life

We need in the UK a new system of government, get rid of the house of LORDS ASAP and make a federal system one parliament for each country, have a national parliament for the whole UK, Scotland has devolution Nothern Ireland and Wales have assembly England needs its own parliament and a few reforms to the other ones to make them in line.

Everywhere needs good internet its becoming a basic service like water, gas and electricity; hell you pay for a tv license i dont see anyone making a fuss about that. Your tv license paid for the digital change without it that may not have happened.

If everyone didnt have a phone it would be like wtf:confused:

Road tax pays for keeping the roads in acceptable condition; repairing and building new roads. It takes a lot of time and a lot of congestion, people need to say this and that needs fixed they cant be checking every single road for problems, if you use a road regularly you know its problems better than a guy checking it in a van, like my street should be one way its dangerous but no one apart from me is planning to do anything about it. The government is trying to get us to get off the roads, its overuse that is killing roads they weren't designed for mass use 60s traffic was different from todays traffic in the UK!

Broadband is acceptable, i dont want to pay £100 for line upgrades that should already be in place, they will upgrade places like city centres with fibre optic too and exchanges. They are hoping that broadband will give them access to online learning and media capability like access to as i said streaming tv for free.

The fact you can vote for anyone is the problem but you cant take that right away its a side effect because people with zero intelligence or experience can be voted in.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
  25. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    You don't need the internet to plant, tend, and harvest a crop. Most of what they use is satellite-, not Internet-based.

The people that live in rural areas and don't "farm" can elect to move to urban areas where Internet is faster and cheaper. Those that do farm can go to a cyber cafe if they need access to fast Internet.

Electricity (provides heating and cooling, especially critical in animal confinements) is essential as is phone lines (to notify authories of issues like fire, downed power lines, bugalry, etc.), water (animals and people have to drink), and some form of sewage handling (swine produce a lot of crap...and humans, cows, etc.). The Internet is not (if you're desperate, use 56K).

Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
    Crunching for Team TPU