1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Haswell or Ivy Bridge - June 2013

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Kursah, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    UPDATE: Went Haswell and Loving IT! :toast:

Alright, well I've researched both AMD and Intel. The internals of my rig are sold, gotta go in a week. I started a thread in general hw, but it's gone beyond that to time to pull the trigger and build.

I plan on going with this:

IB Build:

CPU: 3770K $309
    Cooler: Noctuna NH-U12S (still may end up going with CM 212 EVO tho...) $68
    MB: ASRock Z77 Extreme6 $155
    RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133 $63
    VGA: Gigabyte GTX770 N770OC $400
    SSD: Samsung 840 120GB $90

Or the same everything else but the CPU and MB for Haswell:

Newegg Combo: Haswell 4770k and ASUS Z87-PRO - $440

That's CHEAPER than the 3770k and Asrock Extreme6 which comes to $464. Really makes it a challenge to choose which to go with from a budget perspective. But then I do gotta remember I'll have better odds of higher OC's with 3770 and won't lose out on gaming performance.

I'm leaning Ivy Bridge...but going with Haswell is very tempting and I could better justify the extra for the better cooler (over CM212).

My main plans, Overclocking and Gaming. What I'm keeping out of my old rig:

Case: Lian Li Lancool PC K62
    PSU: Corsair HX-750
    Sound: Auzen X-Fi Forte
    DVD: Asus DVD Burner
    Monitor: Dell 23" U2312HM 1920x1080

I do realize I could save some on a little cheaper VGA, go with a cheaper CPU, etc. But I keep reading better OC results with the 3770k and 4770k from what I have researched and also seems the hyperthreading may be worth-while for a lasting build. This thing may need to last upwards of 4 years at this point. May not have the money to do this for a long time beyond this, but have a budget. Been a lot of hours of researching reviews, consumer reports, threads, etc to come to the parts I've chosen. STill not 100% sure...so many options...
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  2. Jack1n

Thanks Received:
    Kursah says thanks.
  3. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    Yeah no point in getting an outdated socket.

There's the MSI GD65 Gaming in that combo offer from Newegg, I'd recommend you that one.

The MSI board got a very nice review here on TPU

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/Z87-GD65_GAMING/15.html

You could also go 4670k + GD65 and get a GTX 780, you have a lot of options :)
    Kursah says thanks.
  4. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Honestly I'm planning on a tower air cooler of sorts, keeping it simple and affordable and a personal preferance. Still up in the air if I may just downgrade to the CM 212 EVO and call it a day...what I quoted is already overbudget by a bit. That's part of my hesitance with Haswell...is the reality that to even hit 4.5 I may need a $100+ water cooling solution.

Thanks for the suggestion radrok, but really one of the current Haswell + MB combo's is really about what I can do. They save ya enough $$$ it makes it more viable to go with.
  5. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Why would you get IB over Haswell?
    jihadjoe and radrok say thanks.
  6. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    Are you sure you can get a better overclocker with IB? I recall seeing people needing to delid to get a "decent" overclock.

I may be mistaken though.

EDIT: Damn you and your avatars qubit :p
    qubit and Kursah say thanks.
  7. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Just on what I have been researching with better luck on OC and it's been around long enough that everything's mature Bios-wise. It's more the safer route and seems I may be able to OC further, and seems it'll do the same in games that Haswell will.

Beyond that just doubt in Haswell at this point...just making sure the decision I make isn't one I regret even if that means going with a little older solution.

radrok you may be right and maybe the better results I'm reading are with delidded cpu's...
  8. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    Well to be fair Haswell has a much better chipset than IB, the native array of sata ports is impressive should you need more connectivity in the future.

Will probably be easier to get a new CPU just in case you'd need/want and retain more resale value just in case.

A mid range board in Haswell is just about an high end board (non overclocking tier we talking about) for IB. What's missing on IB compared to HSW was integrated with second party controllers which MB companies charged a good share for them.
    Kursah says thanks.
  9. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Moran Atias :)

And that's a good point about the superior chipset. The fact that LGA1155 is now obsolete may also be significant to a point.

The choice for me would be between SB and Haswell, since SB overclocks so much better, otherwise Haswell has the advantage over IB. As overclocking is so important to Kursah, I think he's better off with SB.
    radrok and Kursah say thanks.
  10. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    This should clarify your doubts

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7003/the-haswell-review-intel-core-i74770k-i54560k-tested/6

I'd take Haswell over IB any day cause even a slight % gain in single threaded power is a win in my book considering the more we go on with software the more we stay stuck to poor multithreaded coding.

Consider you are getting baseline better performance than IB without overclocking as the latter is just lottery, I mean you could find a golden chip or a dud either way.
    rtwjunkie, qubit and Kursah say thanks.
  11. Jack1n

Thanks Received:
    Haswell also has a better memory controller.
    Kursah says thanks.
  12. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Go Haswell:toast:
    Kursah says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ultimately the question becomes: is an overclocked IVB better than an overclocked Haswell? My limited knowledge tells me that on a budget air cooler you can expect a low 4.xGhz for Haswell, a mid 4.xGhz for IVB so in my opinion Haswell should come out slightly ahead.
    Kursah says thanks.
  14. springs113

Thanks Received:
    Hey do you have a microcenter near you cause you can get a combination of a 4770k for 279 + msi gd65 (160 ithink) then also an additional $40 off.
  15. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I don't have a microcenter nearby unfortunately, I wish there was! But the newegg combo with the 4770k and Asus z87 Pro is $100 off, normally $540 is atm $440. There are 3 other boards I can choose from in the combo. But from what I've researched the Asus is most stable, best clocking of the bunch.

Limited Time Offer on 4th Gen Intel® Core™ C...

I am going to go Haswell...just gonna spend a little more time and make sure what parts I've chosen are what parts I am for sure going to buy.

CPU: Intel 4770k $350
    MB: Asus Z87 Pro $209
    Above are in the Combo Deal for $440
    RAM: G.Skill Sniper 8GB 2133 $63 after promo code
    CPU Cooler: Noctuna NH-U12S $70
    GFX: GIGABYTE GV-N770OC-2GD GTX770 with 450W Cooler $400

Again keep in mind my goals are gaming, overclocking, yes I'll be doing some video editing and multimedia work, and this build needs to last me a few years while fitting in my budget. Though with the extra cost from the SSD on sale (the Samsung 840 120GB for $89 after sale and promo code makes my first personal build SSD enticing) and the fancier than the CM212 EVO cooler (never had a Noctuna but always wanted one, the U12S is comparable to the older and larger D14 performance-wise from reviews I've read, also cheaper).

Thanks for the input so far guys! I really appreciate it! :toast:

I am looking into that G65 MSI MB...good looking board for sure! Damn do I wish there was a microcenter near me!
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  16. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Order placed, the above parts were unchanged after a couple more hours of thought and research I feel confident in my purchase. I am hoping to achieve a 4.2-4.6GHz OC on air. Pretty exciting for me as well...this will be the first time in many years I've purchased anything so close to it's launch both on VGA, CPU and Chipset fronts. But as many said, Haswell and 1150 are the future, and the money spent now will hopefully keep me going smoothly for a few years through school and working into a career.

Thanks for all the help, and I'll report back once everything shows up and I get going. :toast:
  17. drdeathx

drdeathx New Member

Thanks Received:
    cause it is less expensive and Haswell is a dud.:nutkick:
  18. drdeathx

drdeathx New Member

Thanks Received:

4.2 surely, 4.6Ghz doubtful. Intel uses cheap Tim instead of soldering lid.
  19. Sinzia

Thanks Received:
    I'd go haswell for the chipset alone, all those sata 6g ports!
    shovenose says thanks.
  20. drdeathx

drdeathx New Member

Thanks Received:
    Candy, if your not running multiple drives.....:toast:
  21. MatTheCat II New Member

Thanks Received:
    Cos clock for clock there is no difference in performance and the IB will be able to clock a good bit higher than Haswell.

The Haswell chips runs very hot. Much hotter than all the review sites will have everyone believe due to Intel cherry picking the early review samples.

If I was buying a new CPU today, it would be Ivybridge.

For what its worth, I run my desktop Sandybridge 2600K @ 4.5Ghz, on air, at stock volts. Only game where I could really say that I was bottlenecked by CPU would be BF3 online, in some situations on populated large maps......with lots and lots of stuff going on.....imagine that CPU will be a bottleneck when I ditch EA and their bstardised BF series for ARMA III later this year.
    Kursah says thanks.
  22. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    Go With Haswell

All IB chips are not good overclockers, but the odds of getting a good one are probably 60/40 in favor. But according to JJ, the Asus marketing rep who's team has tested ~1000 Haswell CPUs, only about 20% are able to exceed 4600 MHz, and even those top out at ~4800. My personal 3570K has been stable at 4900/4.26 vcore (but at it's thermal limit on an H100) - with de-lidding and/or a custom water loop I could probably hit 5.1 GHz. But for an every day overclock I keep it at 4500/.040 +offset, the slight speed boost at 4600-4900 isn't worth the large amounts of extra heat and possible instability. So while the Haswell may not break any OC records, at 4500 it will have a decent 10% speed increase over the Ivy at the same clock, and that's what you'll be using for your every day OC anyway. So go with the new platform and pray you get a decent chip.
    Kursah says thanks.
  23. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Unfortunately with the Newegg sale it was only about $20 less expensive than Haswell. Which is what prompted me to go for it.

If I can get 4.2 or a little more out of it, I'll be happy as hell! I'm sure it'll be plenty fast even @ stock compared to my Lynnfield 760 @ 4.0. It was a tough call for me on this one. But both options had their positives and negatives, and I tried to go against what I usually do and spent a little more than I normally would in the hopes that this purchase will last.

I guess here's to hoping I don't get a total dud cpu! I have been reading a couple forums with people out there having better luck with oc and cooler temps more recently. So maybe I'll luck out!
  24. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I am going to order a Noctua NH-U14S. It's only $5 more than I paid for the U12S and I should've paid more attention to that! The U12S would probably work fine, but the 14S is more capable than the 12S in dual fan config. So gonna return the 12S to Amazon once it shows and order the 14S now.

The more I research the more the 14S makes sense for my needs. I don't plan to go dual fan, and haven't ran dual fan towers in years but I like having the option to do so in the future.

I'm going with air, that's for sure...and I'm about to pull the trigger on the 14S, but I will take a gander in that price range and see what else comes up.
  25. qubit

Thanks Received:
    I've got dual fans on my NH-D14 (it came with them) and at the slower speed it's whisper quiet. Well worth having a Noctua.

No, Haswell has a slightly faster IPC, 5-10% depending on task.

Which one overclocks better I'd have to rely on reviews and user's experiences. IB might indeed overclock a bit better due to the heat issue and therefore give better performance than Haswell when overclocked. I certainly don't want a heat monster in my rig, either.
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
    Kursah says thanks.