1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hate to say it

Discussion in 'General Software' started by MadClown, Jul 31, 2008.

1. MadClown

MadClown New Member

Thanks Received:
    NY, the state were you cant defend yourself
    But not being able to use all 4GB of my ram and my strong desire to play Halo 2, and not sounding like a hypocrite saying "Vista sucks" makes me wanna get Vista Home Premium 64-bit. Since the issue of Command and Conquer Generals not running on vista was infact solved Im running out of reasons not to get it.

Will I be able to get the same performance in my games as I would in xp?

If not can Vista be tweaked so it can?

Me getting vista probably wont happen for a while, but when I do get some cash Ill be going on the Egg and picking up myself an OEM vista.
  2. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Vista runs just as good as XP now. I was in the same position, I didn't want to lose game performance but I wanted to play Shadowrun and DX10 games. Its alright now tho, lost no performance and its really stable. I never tweaked it either!
    MadClown says thanks.
  3. OzzmanFloyd120

OzzmanFloyd120

Thanks Received:
    You ought to be fine with vista, yes it can be tweaked for better performance http://www.tweakvista.com/ There's even little gaming patches off on demonoid to do all the work for you. And you PROBABLY won't notice any difference in gaming, so long as SP1 is installed.
    MadClown says thanks.
  4. MadClown

MadClown New Member

Thanks Received:
    mabey i will go for it then
  5. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Do it :toast:, im very happy with Vista!
  6. OzzmanFloyd120

OzzmanFloyd120

Thanks Received:
    Also don't forget the gain you would get from being able to use all of your ram.
    Also something to try before you commit is to get on a torrent site and find an OEM copy and give the 30 day evaluation a shot before you decide you want to buy a key. But don't pirate it, that's illegal, just use the trial.
    MadClown says thanks.
  7. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yea I did the same. I dl'd Home Premium and after liking ALOT I went out and bought Ultimate.
    MadClown says thanks.
  8. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ive had vista almost since it was released, and games were never worse on it (had 2GB RAM back then).
    MadClown says thanks.
  9. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You may lose a few fps here and there, and some points in 3dmark06, but actual game performance won't be sacrificed at all, just don't look at the counter and say OMG I was at 65fps and now I'm only getting 58. In fact, you should gain some actual performance (gaming experience) like ozz said w/ 4gb of ram and dx10 (in the few games that use it).
    MadClown says thanks.
  10. OzzmanFloyd120

OzzmanFloyd120

Thanks Received:
    And like farlex was saying about games with DX10 (I spent my whole week benching seeing as how my interweb was down) I found out that in Crysis I get better frames running DX10 Very High (1440*900 4xAA) Than I get on High settings with the same res and AA
    MadClown says thanks.
  11. MadClown

MadClown New Member

Thanks Received:
    I might pass on the trial, in the days with dial-up, upgrading from 98 to xp never bothered me when i was 9, it shouldnt bother me now, and to my belief all my peripherals will work with vista........shit

Would a soundblaster live 24-bit X-gamer from 2000 work on vista?
  12. xubidoo New Member

Thanks Received:
    as a recent convert to Vista x64 ,ive got to say i like it ,game performance seems roughly similar to to what it was in xp ,altho i have lost points in 3d mark ,but as im not really a benchamrk whore im not bothered as long as the games run ok.
    MadClown says thanks.
  13. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I think Daniel_K did drivers for that card. I'd look for those on your favorite torrent site.

As for Vista. I have Home Premium x64, and couldn't be happier with it's stability and performance. I only keep XP around for benchmarking now.
    MadClown says thanks.
  14. OzzmanFloyd120

OzzmanFloyd120

Thanks Received:
    @ mad clown
    This is pretty much what you're going to keep seeing in the vista crowd. (I keep a 10gb partition for benching)
  15. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just totally uninstalled XP altogether. No point in having it when Vista does everything it does better.
  16. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i too removed XP from all my systems and went vista.

The only one left is my laptop, cause its too old for vista... fighting to get ubuntu on it now :D
  17. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    Vista pretty much runs everything fine on my system gaming sweet all other proggys sweet as overall very happy with ultimate 64bit.
  18. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    i agree vista is suck and slow not like xp is run smooth , but do you try vista sp1 it fix many things
  19. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    I just went to Vista Ultimate x64....and well I honestly don't know what I was so worried about. Vista is better than XP and marginally better than XP x64. It's faster, desktop is smoother, bootup times are remarkably fast. Can't comment on gaming yet because my PSU is fucked (AGAIN!) and I won't play anything in case the load is too much for it.

I'm loving Vista, and I won't be going back.
  20. xubidoo New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol theres always 1 :)

Vista runs just as smooth for me as XP ever did ,if yours doesnt then tbh id look at how your system is setup.
  21. MadClown

MadClown New Member

Thanks Received:
    well, if i end up not liking it i still have my xp cd sitting right next to me, but its from 2001 and has no service packs, so itll take a while to install it
  22. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    Ah, just grab nlite if that happens, but I honestly don't believe you'll go back :)
    MadClown says thanks.
  23. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    I prefer xp64 over vista64 for the most part, but halo2 doesn't like xp64 for some reason.. so I just multi-boot! I use vista64 and xp64 pretty much 50/50 and doubt I'll ever go pure vista. I even have a bootable xp32 install, but never use it. Daniel_k's drivers for all cards, and all oses can be found here: http://hosted.filefront.com/robertmc814
    MadClown says thanks.
  24. MadClown

MadClown New Member

Thanks Received:
    thx for the drivers link
  25. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    I think it's probably best to use that full driver package on a fresh install of vista... I tried to uninstall old creative stuff, used driversweeper ect, no more sound now... wow, 2 weeks to blow up a vista64 install compared to a xp32 install-2months. My current 1st install of xp64 is 5 months old. But I'll reinstall vista64 and do it clean this time and post back if the pax drivers are ok for vista. I use them for xp64 and won't use the creative ones anymore.. dts decoding ect...

Edit: managed to recover my sound using official drivers.. a few reboots and vista fixed itself! But I'll wait until I do a full reinstall before I try the pax drivers under vista again.
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2008