1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Have been wondering what SWTOR was....

Discussion in 'Games' started by MatTheCat, Dec 18, 2011.

1. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have seen lots of people getting excited about SWTOR.

Been bugging me for a few weeks not knowing exactly what it was so I decided to google it.

SWTOR = "Star Wars The Old Republic, BioWare and LucasArts bring you the next evolution in MMO Gameplay"

Bioware !?

BARGHH FERCK ORFF!

That is what I think of the bioware engine and every game I have played that used it.

damn n00bs who dont see it for the pile of bland boring §hit that it is that make every game released on it a best seller.

2. ufgy20

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

INSTG8R says thanks.
  3. JustaTinkerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

With a hint of unhappy

Attached Files:

4. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    kotor with an s

5. Volkszorn88

Volkszorn88

Thanks Received:
    MadTheCat

6. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    SWTOR uses a totally different engine, the HeroEngine. Bioware has never used this engine before and they didn't develop it either. Their games have used several engines, some developed by Bioware themselves and others developed by 3rd parties. So what you think of the "Bioware engine" doesn't really apply here, since SWTOR doesn't use a Bioware engine.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  7. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    That complaint makes no sense to me, but I got dissapointed with the beta for other reasons so it's no buy for me. At least not on launch.

8. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i've been playing since thursday, the game is lots of fun, very high immersion, but not a wow killer in my opinion. i can see myself levelling up to maximum, try some endgame content and then quit after 2 months or so

Zubasa, AlienIsGOD and 1Kurgan1 say thanks.
  9. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Everyone raved about Dragon Age, KoTOR, Mass Effect, and many more, were all bland restrictive boring p1ss. Even the Witcher 1 bored me before I could be arsed finishing it thanks to the boring bland restrictive Bioware engine it used.

I realise that this being multiplayer means that there are different dynamics at play. But new improved 'Bioware' engine or not, it is still a Bioware game (sez so on the tin) and their ideas of what makes a fantastic RGP certainly doesn't coincide with mine.

Frick says thanks.
  10. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    There is no WoW killer, unless you count Panda's... WoW run it's course, the only reason it will lose subs is because people have been playing for half a decade or more. Also because of Panda's, both of those reason are why I'm done, I been tired of the game since BC.

Either way, I'm loving TOR, and I been planning to make a post talking about it with some screens, but I don't have everything ready yet. And I'm not going to discuss the game in this troll thread.

ufgy20 and AlienIsGOD say thanks.
  11. W1zzard

Thanks Received:
    me no troll. i'm level 26 *speeder brag*

12. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    I'm not accusing you of trolling, the OP obviously is. Nothing constructive to say yet, and already used a meme picture. He made a thread about a game he doesn't like, but has't tried. Thats trolling.

I wish I had my speeder, I slept too much yesterday, (11.5 hours) I should get it today. But I don't want to really because the CE will have the speeder so I won't have to spend 8k to get one, but thats 3 days away from getting here sadly.

13. Frick

Thanks Received:
    I have played it and agree with him. Bioware is not very good at RPG's to be honest. Kotor is pretty good, but Kotor 2 pretty much blows it out of the water when it comes to storytelling and general RPGing. Dragon Age is also pretty good but again a bit bland. ME also was boring and just meh.

Matthecat is a great guy. Also this is spot on about my feelings about it: http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=14239

14. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    It's funny I was going to say he sounds like Frick #2. You hate everything, you didn't need to post to say that you did, it's obvious. You are one of the only people I have heard that enjoyed KOTOR 2 more than 1 as well.

Either way, it's pointless to make threads about things you hate. If I made a new thread for different things I hate in gaming, it would just muck up the forums. When a thread is about a game, it's nice to discuss it with others who enjoy the game, not with people who want to bash it. I hate COD, I simply don't view those posts, because there are people here who enjoy them, and if they do thats their progative and they probably want to talk about things they enjoy in the game rather than talking to my ignorant ass about it. It's called respect, use it.

Sinzia says thanks.
  15. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Um I'm not even that experienced with Bioware outside of Mass Effect but there are plenty of valid general complaints about their games and I can tell this dude isn't trolling. Before Serious Cat. I know everyone and their Grandma has been waiting for TOR forever and a day and is super excited (and seemingly rightly so) but c'mon.

Agreed this didn't need it's own thread though that's for sure. That's what game threads and/or clubhouses are for.

16. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    Only 26? Pffft less posting more playing!

*lvl 35 master class reporting in* *has a surname and useless legacy xp* :p

On topic I'm loving SWTOR. Had my CE and early access on Tuesday, and been on holiday from work playing since then. The story element to the MMO with the voice acting has really helped - I can tell you what my chatacter has done and why, which is a big boost for an mmoRPG.

17. W1zzard

Thanks Received:
    i got in on thursday with the december waves

18. Frick

Thanks Received:
    Most people I know agrees with me on that one actually. Yes it was buggy as heck but as far as storytelling and dialouge go it was a lot better imo.

19. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    The thread title would make you think he is wondering what it is, but instead of him asking questions. It's him blasting the game and everyone who plays it, when he obviously hasn't. Trolling is posting inflammatory or extraneous things online. He googled for SWTOR to find out Bioware and Lucasarts made the game (exactly what he said)? Then he states he basically hates every Bioware game made, so why is he making a thread about a company he hates, and a game he hasn't played and is judging? That is trolling, how it should have gone is... "I googled the game, found these screens and this useful info for those who haven't played the game". Not BLARG I HATE BIOWARE!

Add to the fact that he used a cat meme. Examples below of what trolling is from his posts. (I put his trolling in the spoiler since I didn't feel like making a massive post)

I pre-ordered back in September, didn't think they were actually doing invite waves. They said I would get a code, I just figured it would be closer to release, but guess I was wrong. So I ended up canceling my CE from Gamestop and going with Bestbuy to get my Early Access, I got in on Thursday as well because of that, I probably would have been in early Wensday otherwise.

digibucc says thanks.
  20. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    I'm on the fence. I think the game looks good from the sceenshots and I'd like to play it.

Then I think of the fact that I played WoW since it launched and I've been off of that for almost a year. I just don't think I want to get sucked into another MMO. Talking to Kurgan about it makes me want to play it really bad though.

21. bbmarley

Thanks Received:
    have you seen the hacks for swtor like
    immune to stun snare
    always run
    teleport anyplace
    use max rank skills right off

22. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    I've just got to say, how did the OP throw Witcher 1 under the bus with the I Hate Bioware posting? Witcher uses the Red Engine, developed by them. :confused:

23. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    Seemed pretty average when I tried it. How do you like the graphics? Are they top notch, or lacking? Is it polished like Rift was on its release, or are there lots of rough edges? Is gameplay interactive or can you do everything with just 1 macro hotkey?

24. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    Well I caved in and bought it on release day. being a big Star Wars & Bioware fan (I'm one of them that absolutely LOVE ME & ME2 along with DA.) I couldn't not try it.

It's way to early to properly review the title but I can provide a couple of comments on it. The last MMO I played was WoW. I only subbed for a few months But I did experience end game content. One of the things I liked about WoW were the painted style visuals. TOR has this as well. Everything looks likes its been painted on and I love the look. Visually though I think it could be better. I'm gonna have to force AA because the game doesn't have the option and even playing maxed out at 1920x1080 I see slight jaggies. Shadows are poorly done. The character models are nice looking but when you get close to them they are kinda bland with not much detail and the textures aren't that sharp. I think they took a page out of Blizzards book when using a game engine they felt anyone's PC could handle. BUT it does look good; better than WoW and the environements so far have been really cool looking even if it's not as open worldish as most MMO's. Character animations, special abilities etc all look great.

Sound is fantastic. Voice acting top notch. Nothing more to say there.

Gameplay? Typical go kill this stuff right now but combat is fun, quests being voice acted totally make the quests and game much more fun to play.

I mean remember when AoC released and you were on the starter island...every npc talked, all quests were spoken...it was bloody awesome. Then you got off the noob island and all that awesome NPC voice acting just flew out the window. It was like starting a completely different game. Well TOR does it right. I don't care what anyone says...100% voice acting in a MMO truly does make the game much more emersive. Hell most MMO games I skip over all the text to get my quests. But when it's voice acted I enjoy listening.

I haven't tried very much in the game as I'm still a low level noob in the starter area but so far so good. Is it worth the $60 entry price and then $14.99 a month? If you are a big Star Wars or Bioware fan then yes to the first and only time will tell on the second.

/edit: Visually the game is a let down. Yes it looks better than WoW; but when you look closely at textures I'm just left thinking it could be so much more detailed and sharp. That said the game does look good just not 2011 tech good. But I think they used this engine because it will cater to way more computers and laptops then something more up to date. The game does look better than WoW but could really use more detail.

The video options are few and I wish i could crank it up more. I wish there were more options to be honest. Like AA, AF, view distances etc...

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
    1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  25. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    God forbid the player have to actually read something for immersion, right? LOL :rolleyes:

I'm very cautious of this game, not because Bioware, but because EA bought out Bioware. I mean, look at what Activision did to Blizzard - PANDAS. Really? :banghead: