1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Have I found the keys to the kingdom? The golden Thuban.

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by twilyth, Jul 4, 2010.

1. twilyth Guest

I think overclocking is interesting and even sorta cool, but I've never been very good at it. For a good mobo, the number of knobs to twiddle and turn is overwhelming - at least for me.

So when I decided that I would build a new system (after frying the last one) I wasn't thinking much about oc'ing. I decided on the 1090T BE (which CPU-Z calls 1095T) because of the 3.4ghz stock speed. I really planned on keeping it at stock and not screwing with it.

But then I saw these charts over at XS.

Even then I figured, ok, those are some wild clocks, but these guys know what they're doing and I'm basically . . . a hack . . . if I'm going to be honest about it. But I thought, even I can probably get an extra 100-200mhz out of the chip by just adjusting a couple settings.

I'll spare you the rest of the story except to say, that's how it started.

I'm still a hack, but this time I was a careful hack and made small modifications, one at a time. Right now I've got this puppy to 4ghz (3.973) and all I changed was fsb (215), multiplier (18) and voltage (don't remember but not a lot). I did tweak a couple of other things (would have to go look) but only by 2 or 3 bumps.

But what really makes this amazing to me is the fact that I'm on stock cooling with thermal tape and the ambient is about 81F. Even with all that, core temp is 60C while running both prime 95 and WCG.

I'm so used to the gods shitting on me that it is an almost transcendental experience while they do finally smile.
  2. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    haha my name is still at that top of the untested list
  3. twilyth Guest

what's the untested list? Is it to do with the contest?
  4. BeepBeep2

Thanks Received:
    crazydiamond @ XS got 4 Ghz @ 1.344v :p

Lets see if you can top him.
  5. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    The list on xs one is titled untested I am the top clock
  6. twilyth Guest

I have very mixed feelings about that. I'm not a very competitive person. In someways, maybe, but not in general.

Anyway, as of yesterday, the top score on air belongs to Lightman at 4240.

Edit, that extra 240 will not be as easy as the previous 240 - no matter how good the chip is. So I'll have to do some ponderin'.
  7. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    nope my name is at the top

[​IMG]
  8. kciaccio New Member

Thanks Received:
    LMAO- your not the only one. I espesially love your last line!
  9. twilyth Guest

I was looking at the "stable" chart.

I'm not even talking to you just on principle.

(kidding) :toast:

BTW, just for yucks I wanted to see if I could OCR the charts. So I saved the image file and ran them through Omnipage. No luck.

Then I resampled them at 300% and did it again - almost no errors. From there I saved it as an Excel spreadsheet so I could I exclude stuff and sort mainly. I'm sure any other decent OCR software would give the same result. Just FYI.
  10. twilyth Guest

I'm really pissed at you guys. All the e-peen talk about having the fastest chip got me so excited I did some more tweaking and fried my brand new board. :eek: :shadedshu :banghead:

Are you happy now?

Huh? :slap:

Well, I figured if I'm not going to be able to control myself I will need to take prophylactic measures. So I ordered an Asus crossfire board.

but I'm NOT falling into this trap again. I'm going to get it to 4Ghz again - hopefully - and THAT'S IT!!!

DO YOU HEAR ME?

THAT'S IT!!! ;) :laugh:

:toast:
  11. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    I doubt your board is dead. BIOS hosed, maybe, but it actually takes either condensation, or extreme clocks(and enormous current draw), to kill current boards(barring of course, manufacturer defect).

Anyway, just wanted to sub to the thread..let's see how high you go!
  12. twilyth Guest

I've cleared the bios every way I could think of and no luck. When it's plugged in, only a couple of lights come on whereas before I'm pretty sure there were more.

I should get the new board in a couple days so we'll see. I'm pretty sure the chip is ok, but that's my biggest worry.
  13. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    yeah, I'm not doubting the board is dead...I'm doubting YOU killed it.

:laugh:

Which might not bode well for the chip...but 'dems da shakes when overclocking...

:toast:

makes sure to give your chipset some good cooling...I don't understand when any current AMD board runs so hot...but they do. Also make sure to try booting with just one ram stick, in the slot closest to cpu. Nerfed ram settings can sometimes not be lifted with CMOS clear.
  14. Particle New Member

Thanks Received:
    This will change*

*Provided it stops raining. Too humid for DI atm. This 1090T would really open up under cold, I bet, compared to the 1055 I was using.