1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Have I killed my netbook?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Derek12, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Derek12

Thanks Received:
    I've removed everything off the HD and I want to install XP and Win7 later in dual boot. And now I can't install a OS.

Created a USB XP install which is fine because I've used it on another computer, and after the first reboot after copying files I get this error on the netbook

Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem Could not read from the selected boot disk check boot path and disk hardware.

Disk is set as IDE, tried cleaning the HD with Hirens boot cd and formatting it repeatedly without any luck.

Do you think I have somewhat killed my netbook or its hard drive? Is there a way to recover it? Before this it was fine.

Thanks for any help

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  2. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    I'd make sure it's booting to the right device. Make sure you only have one hard drive installed when you're installing Windows. Would also be worth checking the drive's SMART status for any signs of failure or pre-failure. For Windows, HD Tune should tell you. If you need something to boot up to, I recommend downloading and launching the Ultimate Boot CD, launching the PartedMagic OS and checking the smart status with GSmartControl (should be on the desktop). Even if SMART comes back okay, run a short drive self-test (another SMART feature).

Also, what is the manufacturer and model of the laptop?

Derek12 and trickson say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Samsung N145P in his specs :p

Derek12 says thanks.
  4. hckngrtfakt

hckngrtfakt

Thanks Received:
    Sounds more like a formatting problem.

What settings are you using for the format NTFS OR FAT32 ?
    windows xp supports this but is the HDD being set as GUID or MBR ?

instead of the hirens, have you tried booting off the OS install disk and partition the HDD from there ?

Derek12 says thanks.
  5. Derek12

Thanks Received:
    Many thanks, yes it's booting from the HD and without any USB attached at the moment (except the USB install of course but I select the HD from BIOS boot), SMART passed (I will check the self-test tomorrow as now I will go to bed lol.)

I am using Hirens (Will try UBC too, thanks!) using a LiveCD XP and a partition manager there which I don't remember now, deleted everything and created the partition on the XP setup.

But I can't go to the Graphic part of the setup. Due to the above error!

I am using NTFS, the hard drive is MBR (my netbook doesn't have UEFI as far I know

Yes I've created and deleted partitions from the setup too.

Gee it's very strange seems that the netbook is rejecting XP (or viceversa)!

xvi says thanks.
  6. hckngrtfakt

hckngrtfakt

Thanks Received:
    start the xp setup but go into the command prompt and run "chkdsk /r" :)

Derek12 says thanks.
  7. animal007uk

Thanks Received:
    I could be wrong but maybe you need to install usb drivers before xp can continue to install. I am almost sure i had to do this years ago for usb2 at least.

OR does it not start the install at all from the usb stick?

Derek12 says thanks.
  8. Derek12

Thanks Received:
    Many thanks, tomorrow I will try and come back :)

Yes the setup acts fine during the first part (the text mode part) but I cannot go on into the second part (the graphic one) because I get the
    Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem Could not read from the selected boot disk check boot path and disk hardware
    After rebooting past the copying files thing. Also this same USB setup worked fine on other computers except my netbook!

9. Derek12

Thanks Received:
    Solved it modifying BOOT.INI to multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1) from multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(2) I don't know why the fuck the installer made a wrong BOOT.INI everytime. WinXP is now up and running on the nebtook.

Law-II says thanks.
  10. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

*maybe due to the hidden recovery partition used by some oem's; settings for these on occasion are found in the bios; however not familiar with the Netbook Samsung N145P

atb (all the best)

Law-II

Derek12 says thanks.
  11. Derek12

Thanks Received:
    Many thanks, the weird thing is that the HD was completely empty, no partitions, but you have a point, maybe the BIOS was doing something weird (the recovery partition was deleted some time ago) :)

Now I will install Windows 8 together with XP, hoping it will be less troublesome!

Law-II says thanks.