1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Have I made a mistake?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by vziera, Nov 29, 2009.

1. vziera

vziera

Thanks Received:
    D8 I've sold away my i7 920 D0 for a Xeon E5540!!! how stupid T_T, my dad had 5 E5540s and he offered me one because it turns out 4 were enough for his needs

I was looking for a greater performance to improve the gaming and multimedia potent of my pc so I accepted the dad's offering and sold the "better truth"(i7 920D0) off.

I just found something called "Passmark" on the google with keyword "E5540 benchmark" there showed that E5540 got a worser result than i7 does,

My current specs:

E5540 D0 2.53ghz with xigmatek dark knight cooler

Intel DX58SO

3gb DDR 3 Corsair TR 3X3G-1600C8D

1tb + 2x500gb sata II hdd( all wd caviar black)

Nvidia GTX285

PSU 700watt pure

<Ps: I don't overclock>

As the title said:

Have I made a big mistake?

pls at least shed a light to me T_T

thanks...

skylamer says thanks.
  2. athenaesword

athenaesword New Member

Thanks Received:
    sounds like any cpu in that range isn't going to make much of a difference to your games anyway?

vziera says thanks.
  3. crazy pyro

crazy pyro New Member

Thanks Received:
    You stated that you don't overclock, however I'd suggest simply bumping the speed up to 2.66GHz as this should give you the same performance as the i7 920 DO, your dark knight should be able to handle 3GHz+ with ease so there shouldn't be any issues.
    In short: Yes, your new processor is slightly less powerful than your old one but it's not going to be particularly noticable.

vziera says thanks.
  4. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    All that cool hardware and you don't overclock? I hear a sad system begging to be pushed............:laugh:

vziera says thanks.
  5. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    One thing you may want to know is that with the Xeon chip since it's a server processor, it can withstand higher temps over it's desktop counterpart. Meaning you could overclock it a little higher with a touch more vcore and not lose as much stability with a temperature rise.

Since you don"t overclock, I will be honest, you did make a bad choice. Although, we all have to "live and learn" by trial and error.

vziera says thanks.
  6. Altered

Altered

Thanks Received:
    I would seriously evaluate what games you actually play and and if the game(s) play smooth and your current pc churns out nice multimedia what are you even asking for? Synthetic bench scores are not gaming. If you were into benching scores etc yes you [​IMG] up. But most dont have near the processing power of either chip your discussing so enjoy the fact you got cash from your old PC and still have a extremely capable PC on the cheap. Gamers get so hung up on these benching scores sometimes they forget about the game and start thinking with the little head with no brain in it. :shadedshu

vziera says thanks.
  7. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    I'd personally be all about the Xeon with it's low TDP - 80w vs 130w - and Altered makes a good practical point.

But if you're concerned that much about a little performance loss, just bump it up a little, and call it "tuning", not overclocking ;)

vziera says thanks.
  8. athenaesword

athenaesword New Member

Thanks Received:
    overclocking makes a huge difference in some titles. i thought my gtx260 was a shitty card when i put it into a rig with a 2.66ghz e6750 which i restored to stock since i didn't need all that computing power.

after ocing to 3.6ghz i immediately got 10-20fps more in dragon age origins. that's how much an overclocked cpu can give you

vziera says thanks.
  9. vziera

vziera

Thanks Received:
    I see most of you recommend to oc/tuning the proc a bit higher, ok Ill find out how to do it but im not sure with what the result would be as most of better xeons are still outperformed by most of i7s on that passmark chart :( strange whereas xeons have plenty of qpi 2x5.86gt/s or 2x6.4gt/s yet better features :( anyone can explain why?
    sorry for the silly complaint anyway. You guys are great, much appreciated :)

10. HalfAHertz

HalfAHertz

Thanks Received:
    They have two QPI's because 1 is used to access the ram and the second is used to communicate with other CPUs. the 3000 series are for single socket mobos and the 5000 series is for dual socket.
    The desktop chips have the second QPI disabled.

You did a good trade. Listen to everyone here and give the CPU a small push. I'm certain you could push it to at least 3 GHz without touching any voltages...

vziera says thanks.
  11. vziera

vziera

Thanks Received:
    here's the reference:
    Code:
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/overclocked_cpus.html
    thanks

12. Asylum

Asylum

Thanks Received:
    Its very simple. Just go into bios and raise your bclock 10 points.
    You shouldnt even need a voltage adjustment with that small of a increase.
    Then stress test it to make sure its stable.

13. vziera

vziera

Thanks Received:
    Can I rise its TDP up?
    thx

14. HalfAHertz

HalfAHertz

Thanks Received:
    Well your old cpu was 130W, this one is 80. You have a huge headroom. And besides TDP rises noticably only when you increase voltages

15. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Personally, I'd sell that E5540 on ebay for the ~$750 its worth, then go buy an i7-950 for $550 and pocket the extra $200...

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  16. HalfAHertz

HalfAHertz

Thanks Received:
    lol +1 on that