1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Have you got pie today?

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by A novice, May 9, 2009.

1. twilyth Guest

I think the Magny-Cours line from AMD has at least a 12 core server chip and those normally come in 2P and 4P configurations (2 and 4 socket server boards).

Not sure about Intel. I've been assuming that they max out at 6 core/12 threads, but I don't know.

2. BinaryMage

BinaryMage New Member

Thanks Received:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opteron#Opteron_.2845_nm_SOI.29
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xeon#6500.2F7500-series_.22Beckton.22

AMD has 12 core Opterons, Intel has 8 core Xeons. Thanks for the info twilyth. So, theoretically, with a 4P hyperthreaded Xeon config, you could run 64 WUs at once! (8 cores * 2 threads/core * 4 processors) That would be one amazing server! :)

3. twilyth Guest

It's something to drool over, at least until you realize that just one cpu will set you back 4 grand. So you would be talking about a whole system that would probably be pushing $20k.

You could probably build 8 2600k rigs for about 1/4 of that and do twice as many ppd since the Xeon only runs at about 2.3gig and server boards are not known for their OC'ing features.

Not trying to be a wet blanket here, but that's why I always stay away from server chips. I've been tempted many times but the numbers just never work out compared to a couple desktop rigs with consumer grade chips.

4. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    If someone wanted to balance production and e-peen, could put together a 4P system for under $3K with AMD's cheapest 8-core (6128, 2Ghz). Certainly not the most points for the money, but could throw a couple decent video cards on the board too for massive points overall and quite the conversation piece ;)

Edit- Oh, thought this was in FAH. Oh well, it can be a mixed WCG/FAH box with the additional video cards.

I should probably get some sleep. Yeah, that would be a good idea jizz. Alright I will. See you tomorrow.

5. twilyth Guest

Only 2 voices in your head? Lightweight. I usually need a moderator. :shadedshu :D

Yeah, the call of the e-peen is strong with crunchers. Oh the times I've dreamed of a 4P system with 32gig of ram. I've gone slumming on ebay to get my fix with used components, but I could never make the numbers work. But fuck the numbers man, it's not always about the numbers. Oh yes, "heresy" I hear you say - but you know it's true. {testify brother} :rockout:

6. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    The rest had already passed out. The remaining one was determined to raise enough points to craft an Exquisite Superior Flute for the wife's hot elf minstrel.

Yes! Just think of the time we live in now. Four cores under $10K was dream back in the day. The only time I had quads, got them off eBay when they were several years past their prime (built a new quad P3-Xeon once, but it was for a client). Sucked down power cracking RC5 keys, but who cared about power usage back then? They looked massively awesome! Now a new 32 core box can be had for $3K! A big thanks to AMD for getting rid of 2P/4P tiering.

7. twilyth Guest

Tru dat. I was looking on the egg at G34 Mangy-Cours chips and noticed that there weren't different classes and model numbers. How cool is that? Too bad they only have one 4P G34 board though.

On a different topic, did you see that since the recall they have **0** 1155 boards? WTFOMGBBQ. I registered my Asus P8P67 Pro to get a replacement but I know it's going to be weeks - at least. That sucks hard man.

I'm a lazy shit sometimes but that's due mainly to intermittent reinforcement of such behavior. If I had jumped right on that board when I got and build the new 2600k system as planned, I'd be down a rig and tearing the new one down to extract the m/b for RMA. And god knows what would have happened to the box with the serial number. But procrastination does at times pay off. Everything is still in the box. All I have to do is slap a label on it and send it back - well, you know, some day.

8. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    I noticed, was just there getting all the info together to send in rebates (FUUUUUUUUU) for items from my last order.

Ouch. Guess I was lucky by making this threat earlier. Now I wait for Ivy or a cheap LGA-1366 six core to be released.

9. twilyth Guest

IDK. The earliest to see Ivy Bridge would be 2H, and that would mean only 6 months for the new architecture before the die shrink. Doesn't Intel normally take longer than that? Although a lot will depend on the timetable for Bulldozer. If AMD can launch in 2H then that would put pressure on Intel.

I don't mind taking a hit on selling used equipment to crunchers and the fact that I can recoup at least part of my investment makes me more willing to shell out for new equipment. I was even thinking about a second 2600k with a board to support the graphics features since I'm really concerned about my power usage. It would be easier to make these decisions if we had some firm dates.

10. twilyth Guest

[​IMG]

11. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Stick to the desktop equipment.... Even an SR2 sounds cool but at the cost of the cpu's it's useless.

Servers are designed around huge I/O, folding and crunching doesn't require this in the least... You just need speed.

KieX and Chicken Patty say thanks.
  12. twilyth Guest

Excellent point. :toast:

13. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    Oh, forgot about Bulldozer in my list. I'll certainly look at it too. Maybe Intel will also get around to dropping the LGA-2011 chips as well.

I'll continue to play the waiting game. Career changes, kids growing up, etc, and I'm still on my 'transition' box from a couple years ago. Just means that I'll be getting a monster built when I can finally hit the buy button at Newegg :D

Here comes that voice of logic and practicality :rolleyes: ;)

Yeah, if I was seriously looking at dedicated 4P machines for folding/crunching, I'd already have an SR2 (or Supermicro) for my main machine, as well as the kids and wife's systems :D

14. BinaryMage

BinaryMage New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I personally hope Bulldozer will put AMD back in the playing field, as far as top performance goes. I miss the days of the Athlon 64. Not that I am particularly an AMD fan (I have an Intel processor), I just like it when the two companies are neck in neck in performance. Makes things interesting and drives the prices down for us consumers.

15. twilyth Guest

[​IMG]

16. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I miss ION :cry:

Mindweaver, BinaryMage and stinger608 say thanks.
  17. BinaryMage

BinaryMage New Member

Thanks Received:
    Why did he quit? Did he switch teams, or quit WCG altogether?

18. mjkmike

mjkmike

Thanks Received:
    Would be nice to see him again, Hope things work out. On the plus side He is a smart kid.

Crunching for Team TPU
  19. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    He was forced to take some time off from WCG and the forums, personal problems.

20. twilyth Guest

[​IMG]

21. mjkmike

mjkmike

Thanks Received:
    I see HammerON is working his way back up with his x58's.
    Sata or no sata I think p67 is good, and 2011 just got pushed back a few more months.
    More cache and overclocks like normal can't wait.

Crunching for Team TPU
  22. twilyth Guest

[​IMG]

23. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    I have large doubts of AMD being able to take the top again... Realistically they do a darn good job but $ for $ they don't have it compared to Intel... They can spend a fortune more on R&D, now that doesn't mean it can't be done but it makes it really hard.

I do like to see them competing nicely though, when the competition gets tough, we win! :toast:

24. BinaryMage

BinaryMage New Member

Thanks Received:
    Exactly. I hope AMD can compete with Intel, you are correct about the R&D funding, but, nonetheless, AMD also has graphics cards, which would give them more funding. It's not like AMD is ridiculously behind, though. For crunching rigs, AMD procs are usually better values.

25. twilyth Guest

[​IMG]