1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Having a nightmare

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by AceAdey, Jan 25, 2013.

1. McSteel

McSteel

Thanks Received:
    How about some photos of the internals? Especially the capacitors, and the solder side of both the main PCB and the modular PCB. There are several possibilities that may or may not have already been mentioned, and being able to take a look at the state of things will help greatly.

If you know someone proficient with a soldering iron, you might be able to solve this much more economically than buying a new PSU. I know I'd feel like crap for just barely killing my PSU by cleaning out dust buildup...

2. EiSFX

Thanks Received:
    You really shoulden't be playing around the insides of any PSU unless your qualified to do so just a little while ago there was a rather big NEWS article about a teen taking apart his PSU and touched the wrong thing and killed himself. Even after powered down and unpluged there is capacitors in the PSU that hold a rather large charge (big enough to kill you instantly .3 milliamps across the heart) for a long time after unpluged. It dosen't happen often but it can happen with any PSU old or new cheap brand or top brand. I would junk the pretty much dead PSU and get a new one.

3. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    the forum has rules. some of the users merely reminded you of them.

4. AceAdey

AceAdey New Member

Thanks Received:
    I still have issues. I put the Corsair AX760i in and seemed OK. Into Windows and then started to play up a bit. Display went to Standby a few times. Okay kept trying. Then artifacting in DOS. This was followed by some major display issues in the BIOS. Before no screen at all.

Switching displays sometimes my secondary card would work in Windows and then that went to standby aswell a few times. Now that's gone the same way as the primary card. I think the Corsair has messed with my graphics cards.

Connecting it was simple enough. Used the first jack for the primary card with two 6+2's on the eon end. The CPU into second jack and the secondary card on three. It's odd that the CPU and PCIe cables are interchangeable on the modular PSU jacks.