1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Having a problem with a hdd

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Aleksander, May 17, 2014.

1. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
    Hello, I am having a problem with a 1TB Hitachi hdd which today didn't seem to perform well.
    Had to clean the system a little then it started working alright. Should I worry about this problem?
    Here is a crystal disk info ss:
    aw.png
  2. SKBARON

SKBARON

Thanks Received:
    Check the hdd for bad sectors :)
  3. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
    It says no errors were found. Crystal Disk Mark still shows Caution.
  4. R-T-B

R-T-B

Thanks Received:
    Those are sectors relocated to the spare area, they won't show up on a surface scan. The drive does that to deal with sectors in which it can recover information, but are obviously about to fail. It transparently remaps the sectors to a different area of the disk reserved for such things.

My advice: Check it regularly for a couple of months, make sure it doesn't go above 5 reallocated sectors. If it doesn't, it's likely a simple bump or something caused those, the drive dealt with it, and is otherwise still solid. If it goes up though, it's a sign of a larger issue.

Slightly offtopic note: I've never had very good luck with Hitachi's Deskstar line. Their UltraStar line is crazy good, but noisy as heck because it's designed for servers unfortunately.
  5. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    just check is that any lose data, suddenly no responding, weird spinning up and down, or the bad is clicking.
    but i suggest do backup since you dont know how long it will last, some people run it for years but some get it worse in shorter time