1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Having a SSD/RAID Issue

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by OrbitzXT, Aug 31, 2011.

1. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    I bought SSDs to replace the traditional HDDs we had in the office computers here, I then created a system image of Windows 7 and restored that onto each computer. They're all working fine, except for one which is kind of lagging. This particular lagging PC, I didn't realize I needed more space. So my solution was to order a 2nd of the same SSD and setup a RAID 0 array. I restored the system image into the array and everything seemed fine, but the two SSDs together perform much slower than one alone.

One alone is getting a score of 7.1 in the Windows Experience, the two together get a 5.9. On top of that, there seems to be an issue where you cannot really multitask. For some reason, saving a file onto our network is fairly slow on this one computer. Saving a 3MB file is taking 20-30 seconds, and during this time if I try to open something like Firefox nothing happens. The exact second the file finally finishes saving, Firefox opens promptly.

I really don't even want to try a clean installation. There'd be so much stuff to back up and programs to reinstall. I'm considering just ordering another SSD and not use RAID, assuming it should run better. Short of clean installations and replacing both SSDs in the PC, is there anything I can try and do to resolve this issue?
  2. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    Use ATTO see what they bench like, have you tried rebuilding the array?
    OrbitzXT says thanks.
  3. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    I made a backup of the system image and did a clean installation with a newly built array using 128KB strip (Which it was before as well). The clean installation performs just as poorly as it did before so I'm assuming the issue is these particular SSDs do not care for being used in RAID. At least it should run fine when I order one new one I guess.
  4. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    What SSD's are they? there should be no issues running any SSD in raid not the issues you are describing, you might want to try the drives seperately to make sure, failing that I would look at the controller.
  5. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    to me it sounds like 1 drive was performing poorly and then you got another to fix the issue. If that were the case it's likely that you'll see much better performance from the new drive by itself then in raid. Check the performance of the original drive, you may need to rma it.