1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Having a weird lag issue in games

Discussion in 'Games' started by crazy pyro, Jan 2, 2009.

1. crazy pyro

crazy pyro New Member

Thanks Received:
    F.E.A.R runs fine on my system, no lag problems whatsoever with everything maxed out, as does HL2: Lost Coast, however TF2 gets some pretty major lag on my new system, I don't get any lag on my lappy with everything turned down to minimum, however I've also been getting lag in L4D. While playing bioshock earlier I also got this issue, however I got the lag regardless of having the settings turned up to maximum or minimum, any ideas what would be causing this?
    Resolution is at 1024*768 and all settings are at maximum.
    Any ideas of what my problem is? Doubt it's bottlenecking but I'll be willing to overclock if needs be.
  2. Jaffakeik

Jaffakeik

Thanks Received:
    maybe because bad internet connection. because tf2 is mostly multiplayer game and if u playing online its normal to get lags.
  3. crazy pyro

crazy pyro New Member

Thanks Received:
    Tried it at minimum settings too, that made my system freak out and draw lines in places there weren't meant to be lines. I'm guessing it is, weird things is the laptop had no lag issues like this, thing is that I was getting the lag on bioshock and also l4d single player.
  4. stuartb04

stuartb04

Thanks Received:
    i get lag/stutter in some of my games also
    didnt get lag or stutter with my x1950pro

the games do run better on my 4850
    just certain games play up
    crazy pyro says thanks.
  5. crazy pyro

crazy pyro New Member

Thanks Received:
    Same situation for me, I'd like to find out what the issue is.
  6. stuartb04

stuartb04

Thanks Received:
    sorted out my issues pyro
    just reverted back to 8-11 drivers and viola.sorted

hopefully it may help you too(thats if you havent already done it)
    crazy pyro says thanks.
  7. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Hiya pyro!!!! I am surpised that you didn't end up going with that e8400. You have you quad and/or 4850 'clocked? Oh also, ramp up that resolution, let the gpu do more of the work.
  8. crazy pyro

crazy pyro New Member

Thanks Received:
    The Q6600 was £7 more and I was told it overclocked like a beast, sure you said this would be a great build. I've got the HD4850@ 665 MHz with the fan going 50% not going over 50 degrees C, I can up the fan speed a bit if needed. I'd love to ramp up the resolution but my monitor doesn't like it, it only gives me 800*600 or 1024*768, after the night of fun and games I had with left 4 dead when it defaulted to 1440*something or other I'm not putting my monitor past its limits.
    I can start overclocking the quad if need be, is it needed?
    I'll hunt down the installer for 8.11 then, I installed 8.12 since it was the first one that came up on the webiste.
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  9. crazy pyro

crazy pyro New Member

Thanks Received:
    Bump, I've tried cat 8.10 and I'm still having this issue, any other ideas?
  10. kyle2020 Guest

is vsync enabled? playing CS:S allows me for around 200 fps average with no vsync, with it on however i max at 60fps.
  11. crazy pyro

crazy pyro New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll try disabling it.
  12. crazy pyro

crazy pyro New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's definitely not a framerate issue, I was getting 60 very constantly earlier on, maybe a variation of 1 or 2 at most. I'm running on Cat 8.10 now and the range of FPS is much much lower, however the max FPS is lower too by a long way. I'll try with Vsync tomorow (I forgot to today and it's late now).
  13. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    The only thing I can think of is that your overheating on the northbridge or video card. Try gaming with side panel off.
  14. crazy pyro

crazy pyro New Member

Thanks Received:
    GPU is@ 50 degrees C while folding and during the auto tune test on CCC, I'mguessing I should back down the clocks or up the fan speed right? The fan's running at 50% so it's beginning to get fairly loud, I'll try it with the side panel off when I go back on it to try out my new mouse and headset (meant to be arriving today). Any way to up the northbridge cooling/ cooling it down a tad without having to buy a better cooler? Also is there any way to tell the temperature of the northbridge?
  15. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    Temps: Check your hardware monitoring section part of the bios.

Northbridge: Could maybe bring it down a notch in voltage.

One other item, don't use Autotune. It sets clocks a little higher than what it should. So back off the clocks by say about 15mhz on both.
  16. crazy pyro

crazy pyro New Member

Thanks Received:
    Clocks lowered accordingly, I tried gaming with the side off the case, still got the same issue. With fan running at 100% while the card's folding it's at 49 degrees C, while idle it's 37 and dropping, don't really mind the sound from the fan.
    I'll Have a poke round in the bios now to see if that's the problem, thankyou my good Sir (or do you object to that because you work for a living?)
  17. twotone8 New Member

Thanks Received:
    having same issue

having an identical issue. new computer. mouse lag in bioshock, l4d, and tf2.

here's what i've found out. the mouse lag typically goes away when you turn vsync off. looks kinda crappy though.

in l4d, try turning off multicore support. this seemed to do the trick for me, but it severely lowered my framerate.

in tf2, while not connected to a server, type in the console "fps_max 60" or 70, or whatever hz your moniter is set to. that seemed to do the trick for me.

no fix for bioshock as of yet.

y'know what i think it is? i think it's the two cores of the cpu trying to talk to one another. i think it takes a second for the two of them to agree or something, i dunno. now i'm wishing i had gone intel for my new setup. the biggest tipoff for this hypothesis is the fact that turning off multicore support in left 4 dead allows vsync to work just fine.
  18. crazy pyro

crazy pyro New Member

Thanks Received:
    Turned out this was an ISP issue actually, IDK what the problem with bioshock was but I'll have a try on it later.
  19. Ongaku New Member

Thanks Received:
    also pyro, TF2 has a lot of sounds in it...explosions, voices, etc. Not having a proper sound card can lag up games because of all the sounds that go on. Nothing wrong with Realtek :) Me likes them, but having a sound card sometimes can dramatically increase your FPS in some games.

I noticed that when I was playing Half Life on my old laptop with super crap audio chipset.