1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

having problems with motherboard dfi lp nf2 ultra-b

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Ubuntusario, May 8, 2012.

1. Ubuntusario

Thanks Received:
    I can't find a stable state on this motherboard, I tried different configs but nothing works.

I have barton 2500 cpu
    mushkin enhanced ddr1 2-2-3-3-6 1gigx2
    I tried 166mhz and 200mhz fsb not even trying overclocked settings, I set 1.65v-1.75v on cpu and 2.6v-2.8v on memory, all combinations, cpu interface is optimal. The power supply is 430watts, I tried a 650w ps. but still failed to achieve a stable state.

When I load windows xp it goes fine for 15min then it looses network connection.

I'm sick and tired of this motherboard or cpu dont know which is at fault, I want to find out what is going on I hate overclocking it breaks things, I want to try different bios so I want your opinion to know which is a recommended bios for this motherboard to have stabe non-overclocked settings.

this motherboard is old from 2003-2004. I can probably find bios for myself but dont know whats recommended for stable settings.

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  2. CaptainFailcon New Member

Thanks Received:
    nforce chipsets SUCK the networking chips are widely known to be POS's
    i would install a LAN card and call it a day
    its old and slow and probly no worth messing with unless you are into retro stuff

3. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    Well the proc isn't a 200 fsb proc. Also set your memory to auto. don't force the settings. Set the voltages to auto. Also which drivers are you using in windows?

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Ubuntusario

Thanks Received:
    I should also add that the caps around the cpu are popped. Can that cause inenstability on all operations or just the lan card?

5. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:

Yep, if, the caps are bulging - they are degraded and, if, they have actually popped... then they are probably not doing their function.
    You may be able to replace them, but in all honesty, the board may have other problems, now.
    If, you are a hobbyist... then go for it, troubleshoot that sucker, and have fun.

But, if, not a hobbyist and you were needing to use it, then I would just invest your time and money into a new setup.

6. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    popped caps = dying board. i wouldnt even try and repair the system.

you can slap in another LAN card and see how it goes, but the system will completely fail sooner or later if the caps are dying.

7. CaptainFailcon New Member

Thanks Received:
    blown caps = shes dead
    unless you are pro with a soldering iron and have replacement caps .. even then meh .... to old to bother with

8. godlyatheist New Member

Thanks Received:
    if the caps are bulging, it means the electrolyte inside has been turned into gas. the electricity going through those part of the mobo are unstable and could've already caused some damage to the cpu and circuits. you can definitely replace it with parts from places like mouser, but you need to have some experience soldering those thing(not recommended if you never done it before).

9. CaptainFailcon New Member

Thanks Received:
    a blown cap very rarely does any sorta of permanent damage at least on recent motherboards <2003