1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Having some computer issues...

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Eon the Wolf, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Eon the Wolf

Thanks Received:
    Sorry if this is the 'wrong section', but my bro's friend can't really do much for me till he comes down in a week, and I'd rather not wait that long...And I really dunno where else to go for help...See I have an issue.
    My computer was put together/set up in mid april. As far as I can remember, there were NO issues until beginning/mid of May. Even then, it was only if my computer seemed to get too hot. Let me start off by saying that I have had/have the following issues;
    Freezing computer with a LOUD SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECHING sound.
    Freezing computer with a quiet sound repeating over and over (I guess the best comparison is when you stuck a can between your tire and bike frame n got that deep Unnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn)
    Randomly restarting PC.

I've had a cold ice pack placed on top of my case to 'cool' it off....
    I've checked for spyware and virus' on both HDDs.
    I've turned my GPU fan up to 100% all the time.
    I've left one of my side panels off.
    I've defragged my main HDD and my secondary HDD twice and once respectively.
    I've marked both options in the 'Error Checking' section of the Properties of the main HDD.
    I've left it offline for a few hours to see if it was a matter of being on too long.

I've also experiemented with having a program (rainmeter) on or off on my PC, because up until yesterday, the SCREEECH almost always happened with rain meter ON. But now it's happened with it off a few times...
    Yesterday I had 3 freezes and 2 restarts in 12-16 hours alone...
    I'm getting frustrated, because ever since mid June it seems to have been slowly happening more and more often, and with no solid reason why, outside of 'bad/dying HDD, memory issue, heat issue, etc. etc.' Now the GPU fan and the cold pack seemed to stop it at first...defrag stopped it completely for 2 days...The day it was defragging and the day after. I honestly dont know what to do...Either it fixes the 'problem' or at least prevents it for a few days to a week at most, or it doesn't seem to do jack...
    My CPU, 4 gb of DDR3 Ram, PSU, and Mobo are all new. My GPU is from a friends, and is a 8800 GTS that's only a few years old at most. My 160 HDD never had issues with (my backup) although my main HDD is a 320 I got from a friend. My first time using it, and like I said for the first month, month and a half, I never had any issues with anything like this.

I'm honestly out of ideas of what I myself can try to do to diagnose the potential issue...I've also cleaned out dust. My bros friend should be able to do a SMART diagnostic for me once he comes down I believe...or maybe not, I dunno...But I'm running out of ideas, and it's frustrating me because before yesterday, it wasn't happening that often...at first it was once every few days, then once every day or 2, then for a long time it seemed to happen once every 15-26 hours if I did or did not keep my PC on without turning it off. I know leaving it on 24/7 isn't a smart idea, and this didn't seem to start until I started accidently leaving it on for a few days non stop at a time (aka idle while I snoozed), but I'm running out of ideas to try, and reasons to explain it...Sorry if I'm rambling, I'm just getting frustrated cause right after I paid for WoW again to play, and I start doing it...boom I get a ton of restarts n freezes in half a day :/

2. Asylum

Asylum

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like a overheating and maybe a fan going out issue to me.

What temps is your cpu and graphics running at idle and load?

3. Eon the Wolf

Thanks Received:
    CPU 45 C at idle no more than 55 C when running TF2/Mass Effect/Dragon Age/Last Remnant at max.

GPU 59-61 C Idle No more than 78 C if ive been playing awhile. Like I said, if it was a temps issue, having my side panel off right now and having GPU at constant 100% would've fixed it a lot more than just as a 'temporary' fix. Granted, yesterday there WAS quite a bit of heat coming from the side, but temps registered at 45 C and 59 C respectively, so I didn't think there was anything to it...Plus my case on top hasn't been as hot as it used to be when I did think it was a temp issue is like a month so :/
    8800 GTS and AMD Phenom II X4 925 Quadcore

4. timta2

Thanks Received:
    It sure takes some balls to defrag your drives when your computer is randomly restarting! :)

I'm with Asylum, I would take a look at all of my system's temps with something like HWMonitor
    http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Maybe you can post some screenshots.

5. Eon the Wolf

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I know. I thought it was ballsy too, but that's the thing...I defragged 3 times over 2 harddrives over an entire day, and it never ONCE froze or restarted...nor did it restart or freeze at all the next day....but come sunday, it did it 5 times in one day...guess it was makin up for lossed time XP
    And yes, I am a daredevil and ballsy S.O.B

6. Eon the Wolf

Thanks Received:
    Both Speed Fan and HWMonitor report the same temps so...
    EDIT: I'd like to also point I've had times where I'll start the comp or get it off of screen saver, NEVER go on a game, stay on google chrome for like 3-6 hours and it'll happen.

7. Asylum

Asylum

Thanks Received:
    You need to try and find out where the noise is coming from in your puter.

Check the PSU fan after playing for a while and see if thats it.

8. Eon the Wolf

Thanks Received:
    The sound comes from audio. IE My headphones.
    Also, Edited previous post with some extra info...

9. timta2

Thanks Received:
    You have ran Memtest for a few hours or longer?

You should also fill in your system specs so that we can see what you're working with.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  10. Eon the Wolf

Thanks Received:
    'Memtest' o_O....
    Sys specs are;
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 925 Processor, MMX, 3DNow (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
    Memory: 3326MB RAM (2 2GB DDR3 Ram sticks)
    Hard Drive: 480 GB Total (320 GB and 160 GB)
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
    Sound Card: Realtek HD Audio outpu
    Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.091208-2036)
    Motherboard: MA785GMT-UD2H

EDIT: This is the ram, specifically. 2 of these. OCZ Gold 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 160...
    EDIT: Rather, just that. Forgot it was 2 x 2gb in 1 purchase ^^;

timta2 says thanks.
  11. Millennium

Millennium

Thanks Received:
    It would really help if you could pinpoint the sounds for us! Otherwise troubleshooting is pretty tricky. GL

12. Eon the Wolf

Thanks Received:
    All sounds heard when freezing are played through my headphones...Nothing's actually coming from the case itself. It's all digital 'audio'. Also, no sounds occur with the random restart..it just goes to black suddenly, waits a few seconds, and boom it's restarting as if it was offline.
    Also, even if no sounds are playing on the computer at the time, and even if there are sounds, the 'quiet' freeze is always the same sort of deep RNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN sound. Same sound, same pitch n everything. It happens whether or not sounds were playing at the time...

13. blkhogan

blkhogan New Member

Thanks Received:
    It sounds like a driver issue to me. Maybe a sound driver / gfx driver conflict possibly.

95Viper says thanks.
  14. Eon the Wolf

Thanks Received:
    Should I try clean driver reinstalls?
    (How exactly do I do that again? And is just clean installing the GPU and/or sound driver enough? Or is there a mobo driver I should do as well? :p...Sorry, I've never been very clear on whether mobos need constant driver updates like GPU n sound...)

15. timta2

Thanks Received:
    http://www.memtest.org/

(You can download and burn a bootable CD that will test your memory). The reason I brought up memory is that recently I was having problems with games crashing and sound looping which then turned into BSODs and reboots. Ran Memtest and one of my sticks was bad (200+ immediate errors). It's an easy hardware test anyway.

If you look at reviews of your memory you can see that there are quite a few people who have had problems with those particular OCZ sticks. Please make sure that they are set to the proper specs in your bios. You could try loosening the timings (9-9-9-24) or slowing them down (1066Mhz) just to see if that helps.

Uninstall the drivers you want to uninstall (Realtek Audio?) through the control panel and boot into safe mode then run this...

http://downloads.guru3d.com/Guru3D---Driver-Sweeper-(Setup)-download-1655.html

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  16. Eon the Wolf

Thanks Received:
    Okay. I will do the fresh driver installs in a few days...I don't have a way to do the MEM test due to not having a way to burn CDs, and my bros friend will be coming down here in a week or so, and when he does he can help me do a few other tests/diagnostics (SMART and other assorted things). I'll post updates when one or the other happens...

17. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i'm thinking PSU. its the perfect cause for random lockups and restarts, as well as varying symptoms - for example, bad CPU + ram tend to make programs crash, rather than just make the whole system freeze up.

Also, the screeching can be two causes:

1. a locked up system
    2. insufficient power to the video card, so the video card screeches to remind you to power it

its entirely possible that the problem could be something else, but i'd investigate the PSU first - OCZ PSU's are decent, but they fail like every other brand sometimes.

18. Eon the Wolf

Thanks Received:
    Well if it IS a faulty new piece I will be PISSED because they're out of the return date/warranty/whatever...This started happening right around the 90 day mark :/
    EDIT: I Say that because they were purchased on march 26th. Installed round april 19th, and the problem started around may 26th...So actually, 60 day mark, but it's july now so :/ I thought it was just a matter of me accidentally leaving it on a bit too much or heat, but fixes to both 'problems' didnt help for more than a few days at most...there's also no consistent variable as to what causes it (IE Long or short periods of gaming, or nothing at all...Only common factor seems to be the computer being ON...)