1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Having trouble installing windows

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by brandonwh64, Feb 18, 2010.

1. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    OK i just finished my HTPC build (well i have all the parts anyways) and i was bored tonight and wanted to play around with it. so i have everything mounted and have a 20GB 5,400RPM hard drive that i tested working on a S478 system. SO heres my problem, i set the bios to boot from CD and the second boot device the hard drive. well i pop the windows CD in and it starts up. i delete ALL partitions and tell it to format NTFS (QUICK) so it does and starts installing the base files. well here is were it goes bad. After installing the base files the PC restarts and i let it try to boot from the hard drive and it pops up NTLDR is missing please hit CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart.

I have done this many times and still same result. i have set everything in the bios for IDE. I have also tried some of the fixes from google and still same result.

Anyone have any ideas before i take another computers hard drive to see if it gets the same result?

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. Asylum

Asylum

Thanks Received:
    May be a bad install disc.
    Do you have another?
    If not make sure it is good and clean before you use it.

brandonwh64 says thanks.
  3. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    well right now im doing a full format and if that doesnt work i will try new disc! thanks asylum

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    OK a full format didnt help. still NTLDR missing error after coping base files :(

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    NTLDR missing means its booting from the wrong drive.

Triple check that stuff - make sure theres no USB devices or other hard drives it could be booting from, and check if theres an option for which HDD - doesnt matter if you set HDD to the first boot device if you dont choose WHICH hard drive.

6. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    OK found the problem. for some reason on this motherboard the HD HAS to be the master and the CD has to be the slave if it is ran on 1 IDE cable.

I have never had this happen on other or newer board even tho that is the proper way i should be.

the only reason i had it hooked up backwards was due to the cables not reaching.

Installing XP now

Crunching for Team TPU