1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HD 2900XT Cooling Design Note

Discussion in 'News' started by Bastieeeh, May 9, 2007.

1. Bastieeeh New Member

Thanks Received:
    Many people out there who are keen on getting one of AMDs R600 cards already have a watercooling setup I guess. Other people who plan to purchase such a card might plan on going the watercooling road as well and for these people the following note is highly interesting. The metal shim around the HD 2900XT cards is taller than the core, not flush nor is the opposite the case. Take a close look at the pictures below, some of you might have thought the core is raised higher than the shim by mistake. To proof the stated fact following a quote of Shamino from VR-Zone:

If you plan to use a water cooler in order to cool the card, which makes sense according to the preliminary thoughts regarding power consumption, you should double check if your cooler fits onto the card. It has to be either very narrow or needs a recess to be milled on it following the outer edge to some degree. Shown on the last picture is the DangerDen MAZE5 GPU block which served such recess in order to be compatible to the first X800 cards. The last solution would be to remove the shim, which will void the warranty of course.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Source: VR-Zone Forum Post

Last edited: May 10, 2007
  2. Bonerheimer_c New Member

Thanks Received:
    I wonder which will end up being cheaper, having my maze 4 machined to fit that or just buying one of the new blocks that will eventually come out that are made to fit...

3. Grings

Grings New Member

Thanks Received:
    i took the shim off my 9700 pro and it was pretty damn easy to do, putting it back on convincingly for an rma was not so easy however (i done it in the end though, superglue ftw lol)

4. d44ve New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think you would be better off getting one of the new ones that will come out. I am sure they will cover the memory and the resistors like the 8800 ones

5. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    My Koolance CPU cooler and 775 bracket came with a gold plated copper shim for where there is a waterblock conflict with caps. I ended up needing it in my latest build.

I would not be surprised if someone starts making a R600 shim the size of the GPU die.

6. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Good thing about the newer liquid blocks coming out is, the fact that they will be designed to fit these cards exactly and probably be better off with the cooling and presentation.

7. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Another own goal by AMD. WTF were they thinking doing this to the R600 design? Making knock-on costs to OEM's and 3rd party cooler designs... PLUS... the inevitable mistakes people will make who don't notice the 1mm difference, rendering their card a fry...

JUST wait and see all the disasters about to happen. This is going to be ugly.

8. Zubasa

Zubasa

Thanks Received:
    The shim is intended to protect the core from the pressure of the cooler.
    The core is quite easy to crack as it is made of silicon, and glass is also a form of silicon.

9. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, thats what the shim is for. But i highly doubt the stock cooling solution needs replacement, it is itself a huge copper contrapment with the DHES system.

10. newbielives New Member

Thanks Received:
    How nice, more pictures, how about some benchmarks or are those sucky benchmarks from last month all there is to this card?

11. bigboi86

bigboi86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    People have put shims on plenty of cards. It has stopped noone. Cut the thing off.

12. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    I serious doubt that was the reason behind it. Very few (if any a all) every cracked or damaged the GPU :rolleyes:. I know many people with x1900 and x1800 who never had that problem. I have a friend who bent the card because he tighten the WB incorrectly (and to tight) but never damaged the core. Therefore. there is another reason why this is being done. So far this just makes it difficult for you to use any current heatsinks and very few wateblocks. And from what I know the Maze4 contact base is the same as the Maze5. The only thing different is how it dispenses heat (patterns on the other side of the copper base). It should work but someone is going to need to test it first.

13. Zubasa

Zubasa

Thanks Received:
    The thing about the R580 and R520 cores are they are squares.
    The R570 and R600 cores are not squares but rectangular and diamond shape.
    This makes it much easier to accidentally put pressure on a corner and crack it. (And yes the RV570 did crack)

14. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    That shim wont be easily removable, just look at how thick it is. Saying that ATI have been damn thick using a shim that sits higher than the core, I can see many R600s overheating and frying themselves. Talk about stupid engineering :rolleyes: