1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HD 4870 Sapphire Toxic Question

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by SnoopKatt, Jul 3, 2012.

1. SnoopKatt

SnoopKatt

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys,
    I have this video card:
    http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=567&pid=203&psn=&lid=1&leg=0

I figure in the distant future, I will eventually want a second for crossfire. However, I poked around a little bit, and I can't find a single one anywhere, which worries me a little bit. Will I need the exact same card? If I put this card back at stock speeds, can I crossfire it with another 1 GB 4870?

Thanks!

Edit: Sorry, I didn't see that ATI forum :p

2. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    You can Crossfire it with any Radeon HD4870 or HD4850; however, for best results you'll want a 1GB HD4870.

By the point that you get around to upgrading, it might be better to simply get a newer card; power consumption will be significantly better and you'll get across-the-board improvements in performance (and DirectX 11, if that matters) even in games that don't support CF

SnoopKatt says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    depends on how much u can afford and if its more economical to get another 4870 or just a newer card.

SnoopKatt says thanks.
  4. SnoopKatt

SnoopKatt

Thanks Received:
    Thanks guys!

Those are all good points about upgrading. At the moment, it seems pretty economical to get a second one instead of buying a new card and having to go through the trouble of selling this one, but the concern of running games that don't support crossfire is worrisome. Power consumption kind of sucks with this card too lol. Good input though; when that time comes around, it's good to know that I can crossfire it with any 4870.

5. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    you have to realize at the time power consumption was pretty good for this card compared to the 3870 or 2900.

Crossfire support is pretty common aswell.

6. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    only games like GTA will be troublesome, grab a 4890 you'll be happy :D

7. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    coming from a guy who had 2 4870s in crossfire -- look for something around the same level as a 5850. when its overclocked it offers roughly the same performance.

a 7850 performs better then a 5850, and is priced really well. however if you want more grunt a 7870 is quite a big step ahead.

8. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    if you got the cash put it into a new card, the DX11 support, speed and lower power consumption are certainly difficult to ignore

9. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    People make a big deal saying things like " Xfire only is available in some games " " so Xfire or SLI is not always worth it" I would have agreed with this statement around the time of the HD3000 Gen. But since then most games support Xfire and SLI. The ones that don't are usually low enough in the graphics department not to worry.
    So I would say if you can pick up a 4890/70/50/30 1gb really really cheap then go for it. Otherwise pick up a new card.... something like a HD6850/7850 You will notice the difference. Get the same performance as Xfire 4870x2 (or just about) and it will use less power and heat.

10. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    I am running 2 (Asus and Ati ref.) 4870's in crossfire now and the work just fine :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. patrico

patrico

Thanks Received:
    hey, I upgraded from a 4890 to a 6950 (it flies through most games at max), I think it was a much better idea then going crossfire, as in dx11, less driver problems, less power draw/heat and sharper graphics,

I would sell that card and add the money, to the money you were going to buy another card with, thats my 2cents, but good luck with your decision :)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  12. SnoopKatt

SnoopKatt

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the input guys!

At the moment, I'm trying to keep a pretty tight budget, as I'm finally transferring from a community college to a university and I want to be able to pitch in a little bit instead of having my parents cover everything. I may have some torn ligaments in my hands, so over the next couple months or so, doing any video card upgrade/getting a second 4870 probably won't be worth it as I'm not gaming at the moment (unless there's a really good deal). When I get better, I definitely won't mind splurging a little bit to celebrate, so I will keep the newer video card options in mind!

ThE_MaD_ShOt says thanks.
  13. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    Good plan. :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU