1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HD 4890 Vrm cooling.

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by grunt_408, Jul 15, 2009.

1. grunt_408

grunt_408

Thanks Received:
    Since recieving my 4890 the fan has been a little rattly. The rattle dissapears when the fan is running at 50percent. But while I am not gaming and just doing everyday stuff that does not require the fan to be going at 50percent I either have to put up with the rattle or crank the fan up to 50 percent. ( I hate RMA turnaround time so I havnt bothered doing it )

I just ordered a http://www.scorptec.com.au/computer/34382-ac-tt

My question is this should I try the VRM cooling that comes inside this or should I take the standard cooler appart and put on the ram/vrm (block). I cannot seem to find any VRM coolers available here in Australia as yet, I see Thermalright and Zalman have a solution but cant see it being available here in Oz for a while.

I also wonder if anybody has attempted to make their own out of an old heatsink which I may end up doing.

2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    you asked me to come here via my profile, but i dont know. i fit accelero S1's on my cards and used the stock VRM sink, but mine werent reference coolers to begin with.

grunt_408 says thanks.
  3. grunt_408

grunt_408

Thanks Received:
    The 4890 heatsink comes appart and the GPU cooler can be seperated from the rest so I guess in theory I could just fit my accelero over the top?

4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    thats what i did, but i have no idea if yours will fit. as i said, mines a non-reference design, so it wont be the same as yours.

grunt_408 says thanks.
  5. grunt_408

grunt_408

Thanks Received:
    I guess there is only one way to find out. I will take it apart and see if it fits.also thinking about cutting an old P4 478 heatsink down to size and fitting that.

6. Inioch

Inioch

Thanks Received:
    If the 4890 reference cooler is the same as 4870 (at least in dimensions), then the TT fits it okay. This is what I did after trying the TT's own vrm coolers (fried the card) and a Zalman heatsink, which had to be cut and still didn't cool properly.

So yes, it fits and it's the only good solution for air cooling.

grunt_408 says thanks.
  7. grunt_408

grunt_408

Thanks Received:
    Yes I definatley do not want a dead card on my hands. I am going to mess around and try to mod an old 478 heatsink into a VRM cooler it may work or may not