1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HD 5850 x fire + three displays

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by freaksavior, Mar 4, 2013.

1. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys and the few gals.

I've got dual 5850's running at the moment and two Samsung 245bws one running off DVI, and one off DVI to VGA (x360 is in the other DVI.) When I plug in the HDMI port of either Graphics card, weather the primary or the secondary, it refuses to extend to the TV via HDMI. I'm currently running 13.2 beta and the system specs to the left are up-to-date.

Here is a screen shot.

Edit:

Okay so I booted to the TV by iteself and it works, when I plug the other two monitors back in, I get the screenshot below. Otherwise, it looks like a standard Dual display setup in windows/CCC.

Attached Files:

• gpu.jpg
      gpu.jpg
      File size:
      177.9 KB
      Views:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Why are you running betas with those older cards? Im gonna guess a older driver might serve you better unless you NEED these betas for some reason.
  3. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    VGA won't work with three displays. Needs to be DVI and active displayport adapters if I'm not mistaken.
  4. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    erocker says thanks.
  5. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I dunno man. Ive ran three displays in the past but for the life of me I cant remember if they were DVI or VGA. It was AGES ago so I think it might have been VGA but I don't remember.
  6. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Go read some AMD papers/guides on eyefinity... It'll tell you. Law II posted a link.
  7. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't doubt ya. Like I said it was a long time and many drugs ago.
  8. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Okay?
  9. Xenturion

Thanks Received:
    To do 3 Displays with AMD, you'll have to use the EyeFinity Options in the Catalyst Control Panel. Simply using Windows' Extended and Duplicate Desktop won't allow you to enable three displays.

A single AMD card (HD5000 Series & Up) can display to only two monitors at a time using DVI/HDMI/VGA. In order to connect and utilize a third monitor, you have to use at least one Active DisplayPort Adapter. (Saphire's FLEX Edition cards don't have this limitation, and you can use any combination of display outputs)

Two or more AMD cards in CrossFire can handle more than two displays so long as you utilize display outputs on BOTH cards. Two connections can come from the primary (top) card, and one connection can come from the secondary (bottom) card. Attempting to make 3 connections to the top card will run into the limitation necessitating an Active DisplayPort adapter.

You should be able to leave your displays connected as your normally do and simply plug the HDMI from the TV into your bottom card. Catalyst Control Panel's "EyeFinity" section should allow you to create a 3x1 or 1x3 display array.
  10. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Wow ,, firstly you can extend to more than two but the third as you say HAS to be displayport connected any combination of hdmi and one dvi or just the two dvi, s and a displayport on one 5850........
    In crossfire the second (non main) cards outputs are disabled. .....
    Out of crossfire you can use the second cards outputs the same as above....
    I use 4 screens with crossfire via a third gfx card (nvidia physx card) so ive tried all configs..
    They are hardware limits on ref cards (eyefinity cards differ) and drivers dont matter / cant help.
  11. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
    Because I like to live dangerous. Actually it was because the AMD site said that it helped all HD 5xxx, 6xxx, 7xxx video cards on Crysis 3.
    http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/amdcatalyst132betadriver.aspx

Okay so if i'm understanding you right, it has to be DVI + DVI + Display port.

No their not, i'm doing exactly that right now.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Your on a 5 series and using t second card ?? AFAIK that works on later gen cards not 5 and not on my pair of 5s ..on a phone I can't see specs
  13. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
    Yup. One DVI is in the Secondary and the DVi to VGA is in the primary.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Why ...
    Why use diff ports on two cards I have card ones ports full and card twp does not even detect a monitor whilst crossfire is on .Just retried and it still doesn't detect . You sure your not running a 6### or 7### card