1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HD 5970 One GPU Not Working, Can I Disable It?

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by RickyRozay, Jul 18, 2014.

?

Would you run a HD5970 on a 600W OCZ PSU?

1. Yes

73.3%
  2. No

26.7%
  1. RickyRozay

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys

Long time reader first time poster

A friend of mine has kindly given me his HD5970 as he claims one GPU is not working, or is working incorrectly. He never overclocked or overvolted it so I guess it must just be due to age.

Anyway, I was wondering whether there was a way to physically disable the malfunctioning GPU by flashing the BIOS of the card or something? Or any other method?

Which smoothly brings me on to my next point, I have a 600W Stealth X Stream PSU from OCZ, and I know the minimum for this card is 650W, however if I can disable one GPU I should also reduce the power requirements and therefore make the system more stable when I do eventually install it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I recall somebody running two 295x2's on one of those and the unit did OK. I'd say a single 5970 is relatively safe. The PSU certainly isn't the greatest, but I wouldn't imagine it would spontaneously kill itself. As for disabling one GPU core, I wouldn't know, never run a dual chip single GPU.

RickyRozay says thanks.
  3. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    I would be tempted to double check that the vga card is working as intended; AMD specific Drivers, AMD zero core, ULPS and playing games in windowed mode can cause issues with Slave GPU

Open catalyst control centre and select Gaming/3D Application Settings/add profile/AMD Crossfire Mode/disable [will force primary GPU master only]
    Example
    Disable.jpg

or run games in borderless window this will also disable the Slave GPU

Total output for HD5970 304w so should be ok with the PSU as long as it can provide enough ampers

Note: perforemance with single GPU should be along the lines of a single HD5870

Note: last driver to work extreamly well with HD5970 was Catalyst 13.1 preview

Edit: just in case tempted to flash the vga card Make a Backup of the Master & Slave vbios's
    Download and run GPU-Z
    - Note: when it opens *should default to the master core/bios save this to file; see example [name file CypsM.rom] M=Master
    Master and Slave Example.jpg
    -Then use the flip down menu in the bottom left hand corner to switch to the slave core/bios and repeat the process; save to file; name file CypsS.rom] S=Slave

atb

Law-II

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
    manofthem, RickyRozay and RCoon say thanks.
  4. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Intel or AMD CPU?

5. RickyRozay

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys, really great replies so far and I will provide some thanks later when I'm at a PC :)

My next question is, my PSU has 2x 6 pin connectors but the HD5970 needs 1x 8 pin and 1x 6 pin. Is there a way around this?

And Jetster I have an Intel CPU.

6. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    There are converter cables you can buy that turn 2 x Molex 4pins into 1 x 6/8pin connectors. If you don't already have one of these, then may I recommend you buy a new, quality PSU.

[​IMG]

RickyRozay says thanks.
  7. Recca29

Thanks Received:
    Depends on the total load of the system.

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. RickyRozay

Thanks Received:
    Well the Xeon E3110 is just an E8400 with a different name, and I've OC'd it to 4GHz with some extra volts for the CPU and the ram has gone from 800MHz to about 1000MHz with some extra volts too, and I currently run a GTX460 overclocked with no problems on 2x 6 pin PCIE connectors.

I've no idea how much the total system draws power wise, I'm not really into all that measuring stuff. I've had this computer for years.

I'll order one of those connectors and see how it copes.

9. Recca29

Thanks Received:
    You would be fine.
    You are only adding about 150W to you current system with the fully working 5970 Graphics card, and if the 5970 Graphics card works after disabling 1 GPU it will only add about 50w or so.

RickyRozay says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. RickyRozay

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

Here's the ratings for my PSU.

I assume I have to arrange the cables in such a way to avoid overloading a particular rail or something like that, but again I'm not good with all this stuff...

Any suggestions?

11. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    As long as one 6pin is coming from 1 rail and the molex adapters are coming from another rail you'll be fine. That being said, multirail PSU's are fast becoming outlawed from quality PSU manufacturers.

12. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:

those PSU's were pretty decent, the power was spread over 'multiple rails', but you'll be fine with that card since it uses multiple PCI-E connectors.

side note, back when i reviewed for OCZ, the StealthX was one of the refinements i suggested - a variant of their existing PSU's, but with a silent fan and no LED (their other lines had blue or green LED's) - its not a true multi rail unit, but a single rail one with over current protection thrown in, to 'split' each rail. was some silly ATX spec (2.01?) they had to follow.

If you need molex connectors for extra power, use them as secondary power - the two PCI-E connectors have a rail each on that unit.

RickyRozay and RCoon say thanks.
  13. RickyRozay

Thanks Received:
    Great, so one 'genuine' 6 pin plugged into the card, and the molex 8 pin plugged into the card's 8 pin slot, should work fine?

14. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    Yup

15. Mussels

Thanks Received:

you can put a 6 pin in the 8 pin slots and it should work fine, afaik.
    just make sure the primary plug(s?) (would need to see a photo of the card to tell you which) get the native PCI-E power cables, since all the molex plugs in the PC share the same 'rail'

RickyRozay says thanks.
  16. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I had one of these units go out a couple of weeks ago and its was the OCZ850XS only running a i7-920 OCed with two 5770's in xfire. Do not know if it was just a bad unit or it was really under rated.

Crunching for Team TPU
  17. RickyRozay

Thanks Received:
    Hey,

Are these pictures enough to tell me where to insert the 6 pins?

Thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Recca29

Thanks Received:
    Leave the 2 right most slots in the 8 pin slots.

The 6 pin adapter will not fit any other place.

RickyRozay says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    wow that card is clogged with dust

if its only got two connectors, just use the two cables. they'll fit fine, no need for molex adaptors.

RickyRozay says thanks.
  20. Recca29

Thanks Received:
    +1

And please clean the card before putting it in.

Crunching for Team TPU
  21. RickyRozay

Thanks Received:
    Roger that. I'll clean it with a hair dryer on cold setting cos that's all I have and report back as to whether it works or explodes my PSU :)

22. Hellfire

Thanks Received:
    With that much dust maybe that's why the 2nd core doesn't work

23. Mussels

Thanks Received:

that wont work, not enough air pressure. you'll need a can of compressed air, or an air compressor to get the dust out.

you should probably look into opening it up, brushing the dust out, and re-greasing it. the dust could explain why one GPU doesnt work.

Law-II and eidairaman1 say thanks.
  24. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Possibly a failsafe, aka that core throttled down so far or shut off due to heat buildup.

25. RickyRozay

Thanks Received:
    Well guys I've been an idiot, my bloody PSU does have an 8 pin connector. I didn't notice the 2 extra tiny connectors that go with the first 6 pin, so I've installed the card and I'm gonna try the Catalyst 13.1 drivers as recommended above by Law-II

Anybody recommend any tests or benches I should run to check the 2nd GPU? And the card as a whole.