1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HD 6970 - To keep or not to keep?

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by renozi, Dec 5, 2011.

?

What should I do?

Poll closed Dec 12, 2011.
  1. Keep HD6970

39 vote(s)
    67.2%
  2. Sell HD6970

19 vote(s)
    32.8%
  1. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    It is, but it's a very twisted and very deviant relationship.

Are you gonna put them in CrossSLI-X? :laugh:

2. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    Keep it and crossfire it. BF3 looks soooooo friggin good with everything on ultra and 100fps!!!! :)

Your psu is good, you already have an SSD so go for it!! :D

3. Over_Lord

Over_Lord News Editor

Thanks Received:
    which reminds me, when is the friggin AMD presentation on HD7000 already!

4. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    Should be soon enough but I'd say don't expect high end parts before the new year :|

5. renozi New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay, so due to popular demand I will be keeping the 6970 and am going to install it right now. Wish me luck!

6. renozi New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay new problem. Every time I run BF3 multiplayer it crashes on me within 5 minutes of playing and tells me I don't have enough memory. It ran fine with 2GB on the xfx 6970. Why is it crashing now that I have x-fire? I haven't increased the image quality settings at all.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  7. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    what drivers are you using?

8. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    I would say if your not going for record breaking benches and all you do is game..... then I would say Keep it. To the guy who said it won't give you much more performance obviously is not someone who has ever run Xfire or SLI before.
    Xfire or SLI has become very nicely optimized over the years.....For example when I owned two HD6950's I would on a regular basis see an extra 80% to 85% performance increase.... with some games peaking over 95% (Granted not constant) I am also getting the same results with two GTX 580's.
    Now if you were adding a 3rd card the optimization's are not as good same with a fourth card. But as of right now 2 cards seem to be the sweat spot in terms of performance.
    Go for it.....plus if you get these two cards and you change your mind later then you could just sell them for 70% the cost of the new cards and upgrade.

What driver versions are you using? Is everything plugged in correctly? Is your PSU strong enough to not cause instability? Did you clean your old drivers and then re-install ?(Sometimes when switching from 1 card to 2 cards it can cause instability unless you re-install drivers) Are there any AMD/ATI profiles out for this? Which card is the Master card??? The 6950 Flashed to 6970 or 6970 you could always try switching the positions (With 5000 series this was an issue from time to time not saying it is with 6000 series but still worth a shot) One other thought you don't have multiple Fan control/Overclocking utilities up like MSI AB and CCC if so try closing one (I have seen stranger things happen) Try stuff like l suggested above check all the basics :)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
    renozi says thanks.
  9. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    His PSU is fine as its a top tier 850w one. It should be fine so long as he dont have like 20-30 hard drives hooked up to it :p

More wattage doesnt hurt when running such a high performance setup.

I would think its more to do with drivers more then anything else. AMD drivers for BF3 to date have been anything short of appalling.

Im still running 11.9's because anything above that just makes my game crash 8.5 times out 10.

though I havent tried their 11.11c's mind you. but they were more for skyrim then anything else.

renozi says thanks.
  10. kciaccio New Member

Thanks Received:
    Really? I thought the 6870 card was ideal for Eyefinity. What version do you have?

11. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:

I am not saying everything I listed above is the answer.... I just see people have things like this happen to them all the time and worry before they check the basics.... that is why I am just asking. Plus I didn't look to see what PSU he has... people forget to update their system specs all them time so I stopped looking at them.
    But the driver issue your right is most likely the problem. Re-installing the drivers when switching from one card to two can have positive effects.... again not saying its the definitive problem.... just asking him to investigate. Also this always happens you try to give advice here.... giving several options to look at (Not saying anyone thing is the issue for sure just suggesting) and then someone comes along and says "No your wrong check this" come on man....I never once said that was the problem for sure. :toast:

12. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    keep it, crossfire it, skip the HD 7XXX series and then re-evaluate after the 8XXX series comes out.

seriously with that gpu setup you'll be set for quite some time and only have to worry about new game costs rather than "can my rig play this game at max?" 2 years from now and beyond

13. DarkOCean

DarkOCean

Thanks Received:
    on top of that big mountain on mars(Romania)
    1.You have 2500 @ 4,5ghz good enough and not bottlenecking two cards;
    2.Your mobo have 2x8 pcie lanes for crossfire;
    3.You already have one 6950 unlocked;
    I'd day keep it and enjoy 6970 crossfire.

14. renozi New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the advice guys, I'm gonna switch the card positions first then try 11.9 drivers. I'm running 11.11 now and this didn't happen before. I completely uninstall the drivers before reinstalling them. Campaign works just fine but multiplayer crashes with running out of memory.

15. renozi New Member

Thanks Received:
    I tried swapping card positions. Still crashes.
    I tried 11.9 drivers. Still crashes. I'm pretty sure it's a driver problem. What do I do now?

16. renozi New Member

Thanks Received:
    I disabled xfire and was able to play MP no problem. Definitely a driver problem.

17. renozi New Member

Thanks Received:
    I printscreened the crash.

Attached Files:

18. LagunaX

LagunaX

Thanks Received:
    Keep the 6970.
    Reflash the 6950 back to the original bios and then an unlocked shader original bios and then sell it for over $200 on ebay before the 7 series comes out.
    It will still overclock on stock volts to 6970 clocks - but the issue is there is the risk of damaging the ram of the card over the long term since the bios for the 6970 may not match the specs for the ram in your 6950.

Then when the 7 series comes out you can decide what you want to do - another 6790 might be the price of your sold 6950 - heck, I picked up a 6970 off ebay last week for $227 shipped (weekday auction) when 6950 2gb's were still going for $250+...

And for 1920 resolution, a single 6970 is fine - even MaximumPC says so in their latest issue on building a gaming PC for 1920x1200 res =)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  19. renozi New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think drivers 11.11 CAP 2 fixed it. I was able to play a whole match without crashing! :)

20. renozi New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nevermind, it still crashes if I set to Ultra.

21. The Von Matrices

The Von Matrices

Thanks Received:
    Could these crashes be an caused by the modded BIOS on the 6950? Have you tried using the stock BIOS on the 6950 when testing CrossfireX? The cards should still be compatible in CrossfireX even if they have different numbers of shaders. If it still crashes, you can eliminate the modded BIOS as the cause.

You could also try switching the cards' slots. I don't know why this would fix anything but it's worth a shot.

22. renozi New Member

Thanks Received:
    Since the 6950 has dual bios, I switched it to 6950 settings and ran xfire again. Still runs out of memory when on Ultra settings. I got it to crash while playing campaign this time. Maybe just a BF3 + drivers issue.

23. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    what about other games? should try another graphics intensive game to make sure it's not just BF3.

24. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Did you disable page file? If so, try re-enabling it.

renozi says thanks.
  25. Gzero New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's a virtual address issue with BF3!

You need to do this apparently to get it to work:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2224117

renozi says thanks.