• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HD 7790 Hard Crashes PC

So, at this point, it would seem to me that my graphics cards are destined to never work. I got a pair of Radeon HD 7990’s for use with Blender, and after a day of use without any hiccups, the computer began to randomly shutdown.

Here’s probably what you’re thinking: either heat or power is causing the computer to shut down unexpectedly. Well, no. All temperature measurements are within reason, with the GPU’s around 70 degrees and the CPU’s hovering around 45 degrees. As for power, the single HD 7990 currently in the machine is getting 500 watts, with about 425 from the two eight-pin power cables and about 75 from the motherboard itself. That seems to me to be enough headroom for a card with a ~350 watt TDP. The power supply in question is the 1250-watt rated model for Z800 and Z820 workstations, if anyone was wondering.

Now the plot thickens. The computer can run LuxMark okay, with no down clocking and no artificial limits set on the TDP. When MSI Kombustor is run, however, DirectX tests instantly shut down the computer. On the other hand, when an OpenGL test is run, the PC behaves normally. Certain games will also crash either instantaneously or after some amount of time, however, those too are DirectX based.

The obvious answer would be a driver issue, but after installing a plethora of AMD drivers, both Catalyst and Crimson, none have managed to fix the issues. In an attempt to address this issue, I yanked the hard drives from the system, threw in a blank one TB drive, and installed a fresh copy of Windows 10, but those drivers seem to be in a state of complete and total chaos.

I should mention that when the card is down clocked to about 600 MHz and the TDP is limited to 80%, DirectX tests in Kombustor run just fine.

So, in short, I would love absolutely ANY suggestion on where to go next. The card is currently connected to two separate 12 volt 18 amp rails with the two extra ground wires on each eight-pin power connector going to a third rail of equal rating.