1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HD 7850

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by chix_AHOY, Dec 27, 2013.

1. chix_AHOY

Thanks Received:
    i just bought a powercolor hd 7850 1gb, i know its phase out but i got it for a really cheap price.

but my problem is the memory clock, at idle it is stuck at 1200mhz. tried 13.11 betas and now currently installed 13.12, any ideas? need help...

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
    Law-II says thanks.
  2. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
    That sounds just right for that card, plus different drivers won't change the cards stock clocks.
  3. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    are U saying that the Memory clock is "STUCK" @ 1200Mhz?
    If so, I REALLY wouldn't sweat OC'ing the Mem, it's REALLY not gonna yield that much , if any performance.
    But I'm Sure it can be unlocked, just Not by using a Different driver, You'll need a different BIOS.

I HIGHLY recommend Leaving it alone. TOO many people Try to change Bios' and end up with another thread started , asking how to un brick their cards.

If your determined, DO YOUR homework First. Or else, you'll regret it.

And remember , 100-200Mhz on mem clock are gonna do jack for performance increase.
  4. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

sorry: Why is this a problem [1200 x 4 = 4800 Mhz] Quad pumped GDDR5

atb

Law-II
  5. chix_AHOY

Thanks Received:
    no no, what i mean is at idle the mem clock is stuck at 1200.

maybe i'm used of seeing my previous card(6770) idles at 157core and 300mem. so i'm a bit worried about the 7850 mem clock at idle stuck at 1200.

so should i just leave it alone, is that ok?
  6. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

Dose it show this issue from the CCC Performance /AMD Overdrive Tab; without using GPU-Z

Looks like a driver bug, nothing unusual for catalyst drivers; try using Catalyst 11.12 see if this resolves the issue.

Note: having to use catalyst 13.10 beta v2 to avoid this power play issue and some vsync corruption in directx 9 titles [ but this also brings an uninstall blank screen bug for my rig]

atb

Law-II
  7. chix_AHOY

Thanks Received:
    yes, stuck at 1200
    Law-II says thanks.
  8. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

If you get a chance report the bug to the AMD Driver Team here

atb

Law-II
  9. lastcalaveras

lastcalaveras

Thanks Received:
    Don't worry my MSI 7850 2GB is 1200MHz regardless if it's idle or full load.
  10. chix_AHOY

Thanks Received:
    tnx for your reply, one last question, will this stress the gpu? its annoying installing/uninstalling drivers
  11. lastcalaveras

lastcalaveras

Thanks Received:
    to be honest probably not I run my overclocked all the time running 3 screens everyday without fault.
  12. chix_AHOY

Thanks Received:
    now i have a new problem, i notice that there is some strange wave on my monitor when i play games. it is so hard to explain what exactly it is but it's definitely not tearing.
    it's like there's some sort of horizontal wave happening, you can barely notice if the scene is colored, but if it's dark specially black background, you can immediately notice it. turning on vsync reduces it but not entirely gone

i'm thinking of the dvi connection, my monitor is only vga so i have to use a dvi-vga adapter.(sorry for my bad english)

update:
    i've read at newegg that someone also experience this horizontal wave

Quote:
    The problem I am encountering are waves on my screen, they are present only while gaming. The only way to get rid of these waves is to downclock the gpu and mem..

another one:

Quote:
    Some complain of horizontal scrolling/flickering during periods of intense graphics use (games, etc). I have experienced this also and as far as I am aware, this is an artifact of digital to analog conversion in GPU post-processing (i.e. if you are using a VGA monitor on a newer graphics card). I don't know to what degree this can be minimized or if it is even possible to get rid of it without using a newer monitor.

looks like i have try my gpu on a different monitor
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  13. lastcalaveras

lastcalaveras

Thanks Received:
    In my experience it's just the AMD cpu bottlenecking and displaying runt frames(i.e frames not completely rendered). Upgrading to a quad core can make a world of difference.