1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HD 7870 GPU core fluctuation 3D clocks to 450Mhz

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Widjaja, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Anyone with an HD 7870 noticing in GPU Z, their core clock randomly dropping to 450Mhz very briefly?

I'm not seeing this fluctuation causing any problems in games so other people with an HD 7870 may not have noticed.

Apparently it has started happening since the 12.8 drivers.

2. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    Mine does the same thing (12.6 drivers). Doesn't seem to affect anything?

I'm using mine at full load gpu crunching on World Community Grid.... it seems to do it once or twice at the beginning of each work unit but goes to full load and stays there within 10 seconds or so.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  3. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Looking through other related threads on other forums there has been mentioning of overclocking the GPU core by a couple of Mhz as a work around.

Seems all HD 7870 regardless of manufacturer have this problem.
    Some people have reported their GPU using a max of 66-68% when stress testing with certain stress testing applications.

I personally have not stress tested my card as I know the card does get utilized to it's maximum potential in games.

Norton says thanks.
  4. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    Mine seems to be maxing out in the same range but it's running so quick through these work units and giving me barely any slowdowns that I just never bothered to look.

I can only imagine how quick this card would be if it loaded up to 100% :eek: .... doesn't even need it for what I'm using it for atm.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD