1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HD 7950 Gigabyte cooling - help needed

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by hovado, Feb 21, 2013.

1. hovado New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello,

I have HD 7950 from Gigabyte. I would like to put heatsinks on VRM. Can anyone of you, who has Gigabyte cooler off the PCB, give me measures of the mosfets, black top part of it (see the picture)? I have found some datasheet, which states 4,9mm and 5,8mm, but I am not sure, whether the datasheet is the right one..

Thank you in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Baum

Thanks Received:
    My Artic Accelero S1 Plus came with some sort of vreg cooler which you can add using themal glue, i tested it on my GTX 650 that has the same "casing" from the mosfets and it works but is a great hassle.

Maybe there are some complete vram cooler availible for the 79xx? I have seen several ones with pushpins.

please show us a picture of the complete card! Are there mounting holes?

Maybe:
    Use two of these on two mosfets?
    http://koolance.com/video-ram-heat-sinks
    Or just google for: SCVCH-1000 they are 22mmx10mm (and 8mm high)

i finally resorted to the ebay generic copper ones:
    [​IMG]
    they are called RHS-03 and i paid 6€ on ebay, got them from england and took 10 days :D
    They come with some sort of acid thermal pad and stick very well upside down :roll:

to give you some idears:
    http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale/wholesale-vga-ram-cooler.html
    Warning: they list yous some here as a "b2b shop" which ships from china, just get yours from ebay or Amazon and just use THIS as size helper

Final words, i am by no means responsible for where you buy and how much you spent and i am not affiliated with those sellers in any way :rolleyes:
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  3. hovado New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you for your reply.

I am planning to do my own custom heatsink, but I need measurements of mosfets to make "blueprint" for heatsink. I just like to cut aluminium parts from older electronics.
    So these heatsink are no good for me:).
  4. Baum

Thanks Received:
    No problem, i used to make these back in the day for laptops gpu and my own ati 9800 insane edition ^^

Just think about your time: now a days it's almost not worth it when you can get a very good cooler for 20€ that has vram included!

even if you are willing to go these route, i managed to kill some cards while changing coolers...maybe just by static discharge
  5. hovado New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you give me a tip of aftermarket cooler for mosfets, I will be grateful. AFAIK, there is no extra mosfet cooler for VRM on Gigabyte HD 7950.
    You are right, one has to be cautious and patient. But it is my kind of hobby (you should see my old HD 4870 with my heatsinks :) ), so the aftemarket cooler would have to be really good.
  6. hovado New Member

Thanks Received:
    Anyone, please?
  7. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    I just wanted to ask the same question.
    Ever since 4870 days I've been baffled why there is absolutely no serious VRM heatsink available. Those individual chip little heatsinks are a ridiculous joke.
    A workaround I use is remove the fan and the plastic crap from stock cooler and only keep the metal plate attached to a card, and slap a GPU cooler on that (like Accelero S1 Plus for example), which gets the job done, but is far from ideal solution.
  8. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    I always use copper mini-heatsinks from Enzotech, they are very good at dissipating heat from mosfets, about the right size also.

http://www.enzotechnology.com/mos-c1.htm

Lately I've switched from them because now Watercool makes a DIY kit that watercools mosfets too on universal waterblocks.

http://shop.watercool.de/epages/WatercooleK.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/WatercooleK/Products/17021

It's a very nice solution, you just cut the copper where you need it to be and drill couple of holes matching near the VRMs.

Then you proceed by connecting the rigid tubing with small push fit fittings.

BAM watercooled VRMs on universal waterblocks.