1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HD 7950 Issues...

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by ArmoredCavalry, Feb 15, 2012.

1. ArmoredCavalry

ArmoredCavalry New Member

Thanks Received:
    So I just got my HD 7950 installed, and instantly having issues.

The card is installed correctly, and I'm assuming it is getting plenty of power. The issue seems to be all software related. With no AMD drivers installed, everything works fine. As soon as I install drivers, whether they be from AMD's site, or the driver disc that came with the card, I get lock ups on startup.

I thought I had the issue narrowed down to a conflict with the Asus AI Suite, but even after uninstalling it, I am getting lockups and black screens....

Anyone know what could be causing this (other than shoddy drivers).... Am I just SOL?
  2. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    Did you uninstalled the old drivers using driver sweeper first before installing the new ones??
  3. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    What are the specs of the PC you are running this card in. I assume you didnt change your 6950 with this card is why I ask
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. ArmoredCavalry

ArmoredCavalry New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes.

I did swap the 6950 out for this card (mostly because I found a buyer for it before getting the 7950). So, the specs are as listed.

Update: So, I have now tried about 5 different drivers.... still no luck. I have also tried swapping out the HDMI for DVI, with no luck. Sometimes on boot the computer will work, but as soon as I launch a game, I get a black screen of death. All other times, the computer just locks up on start-up.

This is starting to drive me crazy, I've never had so much issues with a GPU upgrade before...

Update: So I am now about 99.9% sure all the issues were caused by ATI Tray Tools. In hindsight, I probably should have tried disabling it sooner than I did, but I've used it for so long it sort of didn't occur to me that it could be the issue....
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  5. Z4X New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello to me something similar happens to you, but the big difference is that I if I can play and all, but when I tested Windows I want my components, I get black screen and I have to turn off the PC to enter again.

My VGA is an Asus 7950 Top DirectCUII its stock speed is 900Mhz, this also happens when you give me some OC, 950MHz say I pass the 3D Mark Vantage or 11 and also gives me black screen and reset everything.

In Stock speed works well, but let me buy this VGA to give OC and I do not despair, some friends tell me they are the drivers, because when installed and ran all the Bench ... to 950MHz without problems, the change was when install the new driver for 7900 series, and you install and uninstall both new and old version and gives the same problem.
    Another friend says he sent it to RMA ... but not, perhaps just need a driver to solve this problem.

Or you already found the salucion?

Hardware will be some incompatibility?

My computer specifications are as follows:

- Core i5 2500k@4.00MHz.
    - ASRock Fatal1ty Professional gen3 Z68
    - Corsair Dominator GT 1866MHz X 8GB
    - Corsair H100
    - PSU Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1000W
    - Crucial 128GB SSD M4
    - Radeon HD 7950 @ 900MHz DirectCUII Top

Help and thanks! : Banghead:
  6. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    have you tried increasing the voltage for the graphics card?
  7. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    ^^ +1 pump the volts when you OC...

Some cards need moar juice then others.
  8. Z4X New Member

Thanks Received:
    This makes me assume that it is problem of drivers.

Left image to see that the problem was to move your voltage.

Lift only the GPU clock to 1000Mhz without moving voltage.

[​IMG]
  9. alexsubri

alexsubri New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am having similar issues with my overclocks. Either now I get a black screen, or a dance party in Witcher 2 or Crysis 2 (Colorful Rays of Light) beaming in all directions:confused:

I know its a driver issue. One day it was working perfect, the next (today) it's working like shit

I had the correct voltages and I stressed/benchmark it

I unistalled/drivesweep everything! still no luck. I will try unistalling/reinstalling again tomorrow!

I'll post back later

ps- now im stuck playing games at 900/1250 :cry: