1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HD 7XXX series?

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Aceman.au, Jan 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aceman.au

Aceman.au

Thanks Received:
    Well Ive skipped the 6XXX series due to lack of performance and I'm definitely going to get the next series whether it be named like 7870. Will it be better or just another flop like this one...

2. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Whoaahhhh!!!!

7xxx series speculation already?

Only kidding.

We have some of the 7 series already. I think the tweaks to Cypress that were planned to be introduced wholesale to 32nm were cobbled onto the 40nm process to make the Cayman chip.

Cayman's not a disappointment. What should happen is that when the shrink to 28nm happens for the 7series AMD should have enough of an edge to squeeze a lot more out of the process.

Expect further improved tesselation, power management and hopefully sticking with 2GB memory for eyefinity and high resolutions. CD at S/A suggests the power management design is to help it break further into HPC markets where power consumption is important.

I would be very surprised if the 7 series wasn't a significant step up from the 69xx in terms of performance levels and power use.

3. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    Disappointment? I am not sure how you got to that conclusion. I am sure it has a lot to do with the stupidly overpowered 5970 you are attempting to compare the current crop of 6000 cards to. Cause it is totally a fair match up to compare a card that is literally two 5870 on a single board. Lets also ignore that when two 6850 were pared together prior to a driver update to fully support such a configuration, they easily out done the 5970 by a 16% average. Lets also ignore that was not even the highest end cards being paired. Or that the 6990 will be a two GPU solution made, most likely, out of two 6970's.

But we will ignore those facts. Lets focus on what we did get from the 6000 series. Improved tessellation, increased performance, broader mid-range selection, more memory onboard, improvements to multi-monitor setups, while maintaining a near ridiculously low power consumption. I mean, how dare those cards not double the power of the previous generation. And how dare AMD not aggressively attack the performance crown....that they never lost and still hold for single card solution (I said single card, not single GPU).

Wrigleyvillain and joeyck say thanks.
  4. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    You forgot to point out that it's pretty damn hard to seriously improve a cards performance within a given power envelope when working two generations on the same manufacturing process. ;)

5. Over_Lord

Over_Lord News Editor

Thanks Received:

lets be calm we'll wait for HD6990... then compare it to HD5970... then we can GET BACK to the OP :D

6. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    I am completely calm. I am a guy that is going to skip the 6000 series for my own personal reasons and I just found this to be so uninformed. It is 5 am where I am, so I am too sleep to be upset. It just seems odd to dump on the whole series because he didn't get an improvement over a card in the top 1% of performance charts nearly by itself. This thread is flame bait so I gave him what he wanted....a nice little rant about the 6000 series. He gets to go laugh at me on another forum and I get him to STFU. Everybody wins.

Wrigleyvillain says thanks.
  7. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    What? Asking us what the 7000 series will be like when the 6000 series is still new?

8. Aceman.au

Aceman.au

Thanks Received:
    Well the 6 series came pretty fast after the 5 series so It will be interesting to see how long it takes for the 7 series to be released... The reason Im disappointed is that the 6 series still sits around the 5 series performance levels in some cards, the only good thing I see with the 6 series is massive improvements in crossfire scaling with 2 6870s smashing out the FPS but still managing to be low on power consumption.

9. Aceman.au

Aceman.au

Thanks Received:
    You sir are a moron... Sorry to rain on parade but this isn't flame bait this is a question - answer thread... You are turning it into a flaming thread, so how about you stfu.

-SEPARATE-

Its been just over a year since the release of the 5 series and I was expecting massive improvements and just before the release of the 6 series they were still releasing 5 series cards which makes me feel like its such a short time in between series releases.

10. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    the 68XX is a replacement to the 57XX series and 69XX replacing the 58XX , i think you need to read more and jump to conclusions later, if it was the case, you would not be the only on complaining...
    if you think that is not a major jump in performance i really wonder where you have been for the last few years with the whole 8800/9800 fiasco

11. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    A lot will depend on when the next generation of consoles come out. And with X-box and PS3 just introducing their own Wii type movement thingys. It could be awhile...:ohwell:

wolf says thanks.
  12. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    the bastards slowing down gaming :shadedshu

Goodman, Eternalchaos, wolf and 3 others say thanks.
  13. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    +1 ^^

14. kalko New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thats the whole idea, release the new generations as late as possible. If the competition doesn't why should you....

Sorry but this is the ugly truth

15. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    yeah i know man...
    back to topic please, OP's orignal rant

16. Aceman.au

Aceman.au

Thanks Received:
    Ive only ever used ATi simply cause Ive liked them, I havent payed much atention to that... Way too confusing

17. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    If we were to get a 20 - 30% performance boost whist reducing power by a significant margin in the next generation of cards (7xxx or 6xx), I could live with that.

18. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    so then what was the point of the first post? bottom line performance has increased while power draw has decreased 6XXX is one of the finest series ATI has produced :slap:

7XXX wont be out till summer/autumn earliest

19. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    48xx series were win.
    So I am waiting for AMD to bring out another series just like them.

Sure they ran hot and the power draw is more than the 6xxx series but who care with the performance vs price.

20. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I see the 6xxx as an "experimental" series, very much like the GTX4xx series, so in a lot of ways I see the 6xxx as a success rather than a failure. People have been crying about how the 68xx are fail and so on etcetcetc, but I think those people should stop hating and start looking at price/perf.

If I am not wrong, the 7xxx will be another "experimental" series, this time with a lot more changes. Hope they comeout with something spactacular, but given past trends, I think it will only be a refinement and a small improvement over the 6xxx, while letting Nvidia catch up a bit.

Ev1LrYu says thanks.
  21. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    before smashing them again, with a new architechure :laugh:

22. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    How about you stop throwing insults and put forward a valid argument (which you have in this case) in a little more mature manner?

One point I would like to contest however is the pricing > performance of the 6 series, I dont know what you paid for your 5970 but I am guessing that for that price you could today pretty much buy two HD 6950's, the combination of which would give you around 15% more performance than you have at the moment, add to that a simple flash to 6970's and you get 25+% increase.

However as "standalone" products based on a purely performance viewpoint..... I can understand where you are coming from to a degree.

AsRock says thanks.
  23. DigitalUK

DigitalUK New Member

Thanks Received:
    the 69xx series is superb, and we are only using the very first beta drivers.

24. GSG-9

GSG-9

Thanks Received:
    Honestly if ATi were to continue to leave their cards unlocked, I would buy a new card every series. I'm an addict for flashing my cards. I agree that until the 6990 is out its not a fair comparison (6970 vs 5970).

25. joeyck New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im disgusted at this thread -_- the 6 series a disapointment? i came from a 9800GTX+ to a 6870 and I can not tell u how happy i am, like most of you guys said the drivers r pretty much virgin drivers, they r new and have yet to improve. atm I am getting awesome frape rates, my min frame rates in everything i play in most case ARE HIGHER THEN MY MAX frame rates that I had with a 9800GTX+ :S

Idc if you say oh well 6870 is a replacement for the 5770 could be true or not but I compare my 6870 to a 5870 any day as that is how in love i am with the performance i got from it...

I ran tests with my card againt a heavily over clocked gtx460 (mine was clocked to its limit as well = 1000/1150) well all in all it raped the gtx460... so please dont bash a awesome line of cards just because you "THINK" they are a disappointment!