1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HD 7XXX series?

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Aceman.au, Jan 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It's pretty difficult for him to troll seeing as it's his thread lol..... technically does that make you a Troll! :eek:

2. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    think carefully on how you respond to tatty. He will kill you.

wolf, yogurt_21, newtekie1 and 3 others say thanks.
  3. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    thats the thing, when you buy high end crap you expect it to not need to be replaced within 6 months instead of being disapointed that they saved you some cash should be very happy...

Ev1LrYu says thanks.
  4. Ev1LrYu

Ev1LrYu

Thanks Received:

QFT. I can understand that some people just can't stand to have cash burning a hole in their pockets, but (relative) longevity is one of the (few?) pluses of getting the top-end/bleeding edge... You should'nt have to upgrade unless you want to.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
    Chevalr1c and Bo$$ say thanks.
  5. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    Guys/girls, especially the folks having extreme high-end parts without being able to hold back their upgrade itch, don't forget that you all should be settled for a few years. I indeed do realise that you probably have bigger screens, but still I suggest you read the last pair of lines in my signature. ;)

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. sliderider

Thanks Received:
    If I started a new thread entitled "ALL nVIDIA cards epic FAIL!!1!!1!!!!", would I be trolling? See, you can be a troll in your own thread or in someone else's. It doesn't matter.

7. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I'm talking GTX480 vs. HD4870X2 and GTX295. The GTX480 outperformed the HD4870X2, consumed less power, and put out less heat. The GTX480 outperformed the GTX295, with the same power consumption and heat output. And at the same time, when the HD4870 came out it was matched performance wise by the GTX260, but the HD4870 consumed more power.

So I really still don't see why GTX480 "was a fail" and the HD4800 series wasn't.:rolleyes:

And if you don't believe me see here and here and here and here.

wolf says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  8. Falkentyne New Member

Thanks Received:
    The original poster is probably close to being punished (or banned) with that type of attitude.

If the 6900 was such a failure, how come I chose to upgrade to it?
    I came from a 4890 and I get about double the GPU horsepower of my previous 4890 (the 5870 was basically a single card 4870x2), while the 4890 was a very slight speed bump but a standard 1 GB RAM. I skipped the 5870 due to the price gouging and lack of availability, and when the cards finally became available, they were priced too high and too far into the life cycle, so I got a 6970.

I don't see how a card that is 33% cheaper than a 580, at 90% of the performance (more if you overclock it) is a flop. Plus 2 GB of RAM. Where were you when ATI released the 4890? I guess calling that a flop too. (I upgraded from 4870 to 4890 because I was running out of Vram on the 4870...)

9. sliderider

Thanks Received:
    No card actually *NEEDS* to be replaced in 6 months. You were happy enough with it when you bought it, right? If you weren't happy with it, you should have bought something else. I used GF4MX for God only knows how long even after it was outdated. It was still supported in games even long after I got my Radeon 9700, but it was good enough for me. Some people are just envious of what other people have and feel the need to always be ahead of everyone else even if they have to bankrupt themselves to do it. This business that some guys go through buying the newest nVidia card this month only to buy the faster AMD card that comes out next month and the nVidia card that tops that one a month later all at $500-$600 a pop are insane. So are the guys who do the extreme overclocking, I mean who the heck needs a liquid nitrogen cooler or can even afford it for real world gaming? Do the 3DMark scores even matter at that point when you take the expense into account? There's a lot of really bored people out there with a lot of money who do these things. Instead of wasting that money on something as meaningless as getting the OMG 133735+ 3DMark score 3VAh!, why don't they do something to change the world like giving the money to charity and actually helping someone in need instead of stroking their own e-peen? Having the fastest CPU/GPU in the world is not an accomplishment worthy of respect, all it does is shows the world how egotistical and selfish the person doing it is that people are starving or living on the streets and they're dumping tons of money into some stupid achievement that nobody is going to remember a year later.

10. boise49ers

boise49ers

Thanks Received:
    Wow on what games ? Are you running 64 bit ? I have to say flaming video card companies gets peoples attention. Like carrying a gun to a protest:D

11. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    unless they use that big powerful card for folding then they're not being selfish, but as for not upgrading every 6 months, yea i see what you mean. my 9600GT is going on 2 years and I can play every game i own just fine. However I do plan on upgrading to a GTS450 (or AMD equiv.) as I'd like to be able to get some of the newer titles and have them run decently

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
    More than 25k PPD
  12. Aceman.au

Aceman.au

Thanks Received:
    What in the world... I start a thread for speculations on the 7 series of ATI cards and I'm facing a ban??? I'm not trolling... I tried starting a legitimate thread and its been turned into something different by silly people... Ive received a warning for defending myself against this abuse. Now if you have NOTHING AT ALL constructive to post please, for the love of god resist clicking that reply button.

I start a thread asking a question and I'm warped into some sort of super troll... Jesus

13. sliderider

Thanks Received:

The most comparable AMD card, the HD5970, was dual GPU and still consumed less power, ran cooler and remains the fastest card you can buy even after a Fermi refresh. Seriously, don't you expect a dual GPU card to run hotter and consume more power than a single GPU? Why does GTX480 use so much more power and reach such high temps? Shouldn't it be the other way around with 5970 being hotter and more power hungry? It wasn't enough that Fermi be more efficient or cooler than the previous generation AMD cards, (it's expected that power management and cooling will improve between generations) it also had to be faster and cooler than it's then current generation competitor and therein lies the fail. AMD did a better job of delivering a high performance card that ran faster, consumed less power and at lower temps than nVidia did.

14. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    No, you see it didn't really need to run cooler or consume less power. Why? Because the GTX480 crushed the HD5870 in performance, and that is what people buying these high end cards wanted. And the GTX470 provided very similar performance to the HD5870 and was cheaper, again what people really care about. Poeple only talk about power and heat when those are the only areas the card are good at, but people really care about performance and price only. You know how all the muscle car people get together and the one guy with a prius brags about how awesome his gas mileage is? Yeah... people don't usually go around bragging about how awesomely power efficient their under performing graphics cards are either...

I have no idea where you are pulling your info from, but the HD5970 was about $150 more than the GTX480 when the GTX480 came out, and has pretty much remained at least a hundred dollars more thoughout its life. And of course the GTX480 cost more than the HD4870x2, it outperformed it, it should cost more.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  15. Goodman

Goodman

Thanks Received:
    well...
    That does sound like a rant against the 6xxx series more than a speculation thread about the up coming 7xxx series which is way to early to even speculated anyways...

16. wahdangun

wahdangun New Member

Thanks Received:
    i think the reason why GTX 480 was fail, was because its late 6 month, and have identical performance to GTX 295 and not far off HD 5870, and still behind HD 5970 while using a lot more electricity and dumping more heat

btw HD 5870 was faster than GTX 470 thats why like you said more expensive.

17. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    No one knows what the 7xxx series is going to bring. People couldn't even figure out what the 69XX series consisted of days before launch. There is no reason to have a thread like this at this time. Plus, very few posts in this thread actually pertain to the topic. There is no focus.

Move along, thank you.

Goodman, Chevalr1c, Ev1LrYu and 3 others say thanks.