1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HD3870X2 Fan change?

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by TechnicalFreak, Mar 11, 2008.

1. I will soon get my HD3870X2, and I would like to know if it's a good idéa to change the stock cooling/fan(s) on it. If yes, to what?

If no, why?

It's an ASUS Extreme QUAD DVI card, I'm not sure if it's even possible to change the fans..
    But I did it on my Radeon 9800SE as soon as I got it. Is it smart or even worth to change them on this one???

2. zOaib New Member

Thanks Received:
    once u get it dload rivatuner 2.08 and run fan speed at 50% , your temps will not go above 55c load and will idle at 38 - 40c

no need to replace cooler , it does cool it well when the fan runs at a good speed.

3. Nitro-Max

Nitro-Max New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom.{East Anglian Coast
    Yep totally my idle temps are great below 40c most of the time plus ati gpus are designed to handle heat running up to around 80c is normal on most cards but the fan does a great job anyway at 50% you probably wont go over 60c and at 100% its amazing but very noisy.

I really dont think a after market replacement would keep it any cooler really unless you got the water cooling block.

4. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ati 3870 single and the x 2 stock cooler are very good coolers.. leaf blowers with the fan going flat out.. they simple come with the fans running at slower speeds to keep the noise down.. its a shame the CCC dosnt let the user pick their own coolness/noise ratio..

it can be done with RBE bios editor thow..

trog