1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HD4850 Overheating Issue

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by sapetto, Mar 21, 2009.

1. sapetto

sapetto

Thanks Received:
    Hi i have my HD4850 for a couple of months now and today when i was playing GTA4 - the mission that i have to follow the helicopter and then jacob destroyed it, in the moment i was flying over the sea my screen turn black and the first red LED on the card was on. OK i rebooted the PC run GTA4 again and on the same place over the sea - screen black and LED on. I installed ati tray tools to see the temps when playing the game because the first red LED means overheating issue so right over the water memio was 86C and again black screen. I tested Furmark when memio goes over 86C black screen and LED on. I remember when i got my card i ran Furmark in Stability mode and my memio was 100C-102C and no black screens.
    So i don't know what to do i think that's not normal 86C for memio isn't that high temp. Haven't OC or BIOS modded.

PS: forgot to mention that my card is this
    [​IMG]

2. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    if it's an overheating problem, buy a better cooler. zalman vf900 should still work nicely

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    Or, take the stock cooler off, clean the thermal material off and replace with something decent like Arctic Silver Ceramique. Also check the fan on the card starts to spin at a reasonable temp, EG; 50% @ 45c+

4. KBD New Member

Thanks Received:
    Those are very high temps. Granted, the card is designed to withstand them but its far more than id be comfartbale with and its very likely that it is causing instability. I havent seen the memio temp go above around 63C with the stock cooler on 4870, but that was with core running at 1.3v and the card was obviously overclocked. Are you monitoring your VRM temps, BTW? What are they?

First thing you should do is make sure the fan speed is what it should be, if the card is that hot up to 70-80% or higher if need. Also try to reseat the stock cooler and reapply TIM. And, if possible, try to improve airflow in the case.

5. sapetto

sapetto

Thanks Received:
    The problem is that the card is with asus glaciator heatsink cooler so it doesnt cover the VRM
    And WTF if i buy i card it should be stable i mean - asus card with non-reference cooler and then need new vga cooler?!

6. KBD New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yea, the cooler is inadequate in the VRM cooling department. But you choose to buy the card, i guess you should've done more research prior to purchase. Though before replacing the cooler try whats been suggested, there is a chance it may help. Also try mouting a side fan to blow on the VRMs if your case allows that or you can use something like an Antec Spot Cool and point it at the VRMs. I've seen someone do that at [H]. But if you are going to get aftermarket cooling dont get a Zalman vf900 as hat said since it wont do a better job at cooling VRMs than this one, you'll be better off with something like an Accelero S1 Rev2 and 2 120mm fans.

7. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    What fan settings you on when you game?

8. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    ooh i see right ?.. those regs have no heatsinks on them on them ?.

With this 4870 like my 2900XT the regs are the issue. My GPU runs 31c idle and around 45c full load but the regs will go up from around 40c to 70c and thats with a big heatsink on them.

EDIT:
    See with ASUS's 4870 it has a heatsink on them.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121276R

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  9. Deusxmachina

Deusxmachina New Member

Thanks Received:
    Unless the 4850 is a new technology compared to the previous cards of the past years, 86c is hardly overheating. 86 is just getting warmed up. Since it happened on the same place in the game, sounds more like a game or driver problem of some kind.

If you want to do a test, use ATItool or AMD GPU clock tool to lower the clock settings, a lot, and manually have the fan on high. Then run that part of the game again and see the temp if/when it crashes.

Even that wouldn't tell the full story, though. I had a 7600GT that would lock up. It wasn't overheating, but cranking the clocks down to half would let it run games fine. I don't know if the card got bad or the power supply was bad or what.

10. LagunaX

LagunaX

Thanks Received:
  11. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I have that same exact card and it shouldn't be running that hot. Mine is currently at 54c. Now my second card the Visiontek idles at 81c but has never overheated. With that being said I think its time for an RMA. I had an issue like that with my 3870 a while back. It would always freeze at the same point in lost coast. I thought it was a driver problem to the point I reinstalled Vista. On closer inspection I found the heat sink had a bum connection to the GPU.

12. LagunaX

LagunaX

Thanks Received:
    Mailman - check out this thread - you may find it very useful - my personal creation:

Hd 4850 "standard card" custom bios 700/1100 CCC 9.3 compatible (Not for asus, palit, etc.):
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=220212

13. sapetto

sapetto

Thanks Received:
    i found this in ASUS support site
    Maybe this will fix the problem but my card is EAH4850/HTDI/512M/A an my part number is *-C1CL50-*...
    So it doesn't support my card?

14. Barshalen New Member

Thanks Received:
    Was that update in the download area for your specific card? If it is then it should be fine, plus official bios updates usually check to make sure that they are compatible before installing. I remember downloading it for my 4850 TOP when I had it a few months ago, didn't seem to fix anything, but then again I only had it for a week before updating it. I did play GTA IV alot though and did not have any problems.